Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Gls Cassette Player Problem

Guest cujo

Guest cujo

Hi all, just got a 1998 GLS 2.0 saloon. I play MP3 songs from a discman that I keep in the glovebox using a casssette adaptor. All was working fine for 2 weeks when the cassette tape player decided to continuously reverse the direction, getting confused and spitting the cassette out. I cannot play any cassettes in it now. When I push a cassette in, the display shows an electronic 'C' and then a reverse 'C', with a whirring sound that indicates it is trying to reverse the direction of play.

Anyone got any idea what this may be? Is there a quickfix or do I need to see Mr. T, which could be a costly option for such a seemingly silly problem!

Please help, I commute about 100 miles a day,seriously missing my MP3s now... :help:

I use the same set-up for my MP3 player

The simplest solution is to buy a replacement TOYOTA cassette player from eBay.

They all will fit the dash of the AVENSIS. The wiring is also identical. Just push fit. Removal is vey simple - a phillips screwdriver is the only tool needed.

For example I have a unit from a carina II (1990) in my 2000 Avensis.

Try

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-RADIO-CASSETT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest cujo

Thanks gazza! So do you mean to say my cassette player is broken as against the possibility of applying a quickfix or cheap repair or anything like that? :(

I will go ebay/breaker's yard hunting once I ascertain that replacement will be a cheaper option than repair.

The fault will probably be a linked to a broken rubber drive belt. I had an old corolla which had similar symptoms. The parts aren't available from the dealer usually. A Hi-Fi repairer is a safe option. The part will only cost a couple of quid if that.

If you feel handy with a screwdriver, the belts are normally easy to reach inside the outer plates. You might find a suitable belt at maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/C..._Belts_3634.htm

Remember that the one you take out may have stretched prior to snapping so buy the smaller if the size you need appears to fall between two available sizes.

are you talkin about the double din unit? ive got the sony one that comes standard in the GLS model and had problems with the cd player. the cassette worked fine but the cd player kept making noises and would sometimes play then sometimes wouldnt. in the end jus decided to change to another unit and have the double din one just lying there now. i now quite a few other people with the same problem so just presumed it was a common problem. i doubt its realli worth getting fixed????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links