Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What The? Fuel Is Going Down Heaps Fast!

Hasher22

Well last sat my mum filled up my 2006 Yaris. Well with my tachometers (if thats what u wanna call them, the one that shows how fast ur going and everything) is digital....so therefore i have this option of setting it to how many milage i have done with "trip a" (there are 3 milage meters, theres one that is ur overall milage, and the other 2 is Trip A and Trip B which u can reset to see how many miles u have done)

Soo i set my option to "trip A" when my mum filled up the tank to see how many miles it can do b 4 running out of fuel. My fuel meter is digital too, so there are bars vertcal, i think it has 10 bars.

Well the thing is, its up to 5bars now and its only done **** 220KM!!!!! i mean WTF!!?? does this means the damn NEW 2006 YARIS is crap on fuel!!! so when my fuel runs out it can only go for 450 or so KM??? i mean my friends 1990 toyota starlet has better fuel milage than mine!! He said that his goes for like 500km and he needs to fill up....

I thaught the 2006 Yaris is really good on fuel...i mean how stupid of toyota, everyone bitching about fuel prices and they make a new SMALL car that is crap on fuel......I mean the new lexus (i dont know whats the name of the car) but its milage is 1400!!!

or is there sumfin wrong with my fuel tank or whatever?? thanks!!!

Sounds a bit low. 450km is only about 280 miles.

I can get about 320 miles (approx 515km), out of my 2004 Yaris.

What engine size is it, and is it bog standard?

New car = tight engine .........................let it get a few Km on the clock and loosen up and the economy will come.

It has been said many times on these forums (and I do not suppose that this will be the last time :rolleyes: )

If it does not get better after 10000 Km then take it back and ask the dealer to investigate :thumbsup:

I say don't worry about it .....

The gauge is all ****** up anyway because on the first bar I could get 100 miles before it went out, but no way was each bar 100 miles. The further it went down the less miles I got per bar.

Everything affects the way that the petrol is used from the weather, having air con on, driving mainly up hills, stuck in traffic, under-flated tyres etc the list goes on :yes:

Also these computer mileage things can't be relied on either ..... the only way is with pen and paper writing down how much you put in and what you got out.

We all know that the figures quoted by Mr T are unrealistic however drop 3-4MPG and that's what you should be getting from the quoted figures

:thumbsup:

Eh?

1. Its a new car and will use a bit more fuel for the first couple of tanks

2. The gauge may have been showing "full", but the speed with which the first bar disappears depend on just how "full" the tank actually is. If you stop filling at the first click of the pump you can quite easily have 4 or 5 litres of fuel less in your tank than if you fill until the fuel is visible (like wot I do).

3. Aircon, traffic conditions and the amount of lead in your right foot will all have a bearing on the consumption.

Give it a few tanks and the consumption will stabilise. Then you can start whining like a baby without his toys ;)

A

I don't really rely on the fuel gauge anymore actually, I use the Trip A Odometer - as soon as it's over 330 miles then I know it'll need filling up. Definately seems like the consumption has been getting better lately too :o

I've always wonder about my Yaris!

It's a 1.0L, T Reg (1999), Yaris S, Serviced every year by Toyota + only 58000 miles on the clock.

I'm a careful driver, Tyres are checked every week, Oxford isn't hilly at all, the car is empty (nothing in the boot) and I'm the only one in it most of the time.

I fill the tank right up (with the 99 Ron stuff), reset the trip counter every time I go to the Station of Petrol.

The problem is I only seem to be getting 285 Miles out of it. Is this normal?

it's just I hear of people getting 310, 330 Miles per tank!

It's a 1.0L, T Reg (1999), Yaris S, Serviced every year by Toyota + only 58000 miles on the clock.

I'm a careful driver, Tyres are checked every week, Oxford isn't hilly at all, the car is empty (nothing in the boot) and I'm the only one in it most of the time.

I fill the tank right up (with the 99 Ron stuff), reset the trip counter every time I go to the Station of Petrol.

Maybe you're just not filling it as full as everyone else or driving it as far into the flashy light? I used to get a similar mileage from my 1.0S - about 280 to 300 miles depending on weather, traffic and where I'd been driving.

You're only talking 15 to 20 miles difference remember - it just seems more because of the change from 2XX to 3XX!

A

Maybe you're just not filling it as full as everyone else or driving it as far into the flashy light? I used to get a similar mileage from my 1.0S - about 280 to 300 miles depending on weather, traffic and where I'd been driving.

You're only talking 15 to 20 miles difference remember - it just seems more because of the change from 2XX to 3XX!

A

I do fill right up, it clicks, then I do it again, then again. but I get what you mean. I might fiull a petrol can up, then let the yaris run down as far as I think it will go then some more, just to see how much I can get out of it.

I know it's not good to let it run right out of fuel!

Yeah, you'd have to be really silly to do that... :unsure::ph34r:

A

Thanks guys..........well the fuel guage is past halfway and ive done 250km!!!!!!!! OMG

but my other tank went for 720km!!!!

I spend £40 a tank, I get about 40 litres in (tank is 45) and i go about 280 miles. That's pretty poor fuel consumption... but I know I drive quick, so I don't care! Best Iv had is 350 miles which was motorway at about 70mph... worst is 200 miles which was motorway at a little bit more than 70 :P then a 'spirited' drive to brunters, 1/4 mile runs at brunters and a 'spirited' drive away from brunters!

We own a 2 year old, 1L yaris. The wife normally drives, but we generally are getting 410 - 430 miles per tank. The on board computer says around 55 mpg :thumbsup:

Why fill your tank full of petrol? :huh:

Your engine does more work pulling along all the weight which means you'll get less mpg. I never fill my tank unless I'm going to England or something.

I usually only put about £8 of petrol in when the gauge starts flashing and that'll give me 3 bars instead of pulling along loads of weight! :thumbsup:

Weight? Oh come on! I mean... Relative to you that extra fuel is heavy, but compard to most people...

:P

A

Simple answer. Use a bigger engined car for a month, then you'll stop worrying about the petrol consumption of your Yaris. :yes:

I've read a lot about the new Yaris not being so great with its mpgage but it will settle down and get better. Best I've had in my 2005 model Mk1 is 56mpg on a good run recently but I normally see around 42mpg as I do a lot of stop-stop-start-stop-stop some more town driving during the week.

Oh and for the technically minded, the odometer is the one that tells you the total mileage (and so can't be reset). The two you can reset A and B are trip meters and... tachometer is another name for a rev counter. :thumbsup:

Mine averages 48mpg according to the dials.

£20 gets about 200 miles.

However in stop/start towns with the aircon on it drops to 40/41ish, and on motorways it goes back up to 50something until I get bored and press the loud pedal ;)

The trip computer on mine shows 58mpg! although calculating it from £xx gets me xxx miles gives 56mpg. And at times I do suffer from lead-foot syndrome. That gives me anything from 410 to 450 miles out of a tank depending on how far I'm willing to travel with the fuel light on!

IMO there's no point putting a few quid into the tank every few miles to save lugging around extra weight - think of the extra fuel used going to the petrol station. If you want to carry around less weight remove the rear seats, soundproofing, wheel trims etc :P

Also anticipatory driving can help a lot - if the traffic is stopped up ahead there is no point in continuing to accelerate then brake; braking is just wasted energy!

30quid for a full tank, gets me 260miles each and every time. no if's or buts.

Funds are a bit tight this month so I'm driving within the speed limit - I have just over 400 miles on the clock and it's just gone 1 bar below half a tank on the display :)

Shuudda gotta a diesel !!

hmmm, maybe I need to get a new car, £35 usually get me 220-250 miles

Funds are a bit tight this month so I'm driving within the speed limit - I have just over 400 miles on the clock and it's just gone 1 bar below half a tank on the display :)

Shuudda gotta a diesel !!

:o how many miles per tank do you normally get?

I'm more than happy with 350 miles to a tank on a 1.3 :thumbsup:

Mines shot up recently.... I'm up to 380 miles per tank now thanks to lots of motorway driving! :thumbsup: 400+ is mental though.... I'll aim for that next month! LOL!

Will I complain if it goes down to 300? No, because it the general scheme of things, petrol consumption matters less than a roof over your head or food on the table....

People whinge too much IMO.... there are more important things in life!

If I don't get 500 from a tank I'm disappointed. If I didn't have such a leaden right foot I'm sure I could be getting about 550 or so from £42

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links