Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm Thinking About Getting A Ts

Kev Mc

I've had my Yaris GS (1.0) for about 18 months now & I'm looking at getting something sportier & a bit more upmarket, I've had a look about & I'm thinking about going for a Corolla TS. Good idea? Bad idea? I want your honest opinions please.

Btw, the other cars I'm thinking about are a Yaris TS (very nice but Corollas are a step above them) or a Golf GTi (nice, liked by loads of people but I want to stick with a Toyota if possible) but I'm leaning towards a Corolla atm, what do you reckon?

I've had my Yaris GS (1.0) for about 18 months now & I'm looking at getting something sportier & a bit more upmarket, I've had a look about & I'm thinking about going for a Corolla TS. Good idea? Bad idea? I want your honest opinions please.

Btw, the other cars I'm thinking about are a Yaris TS (very nice but Corollas are a step above them) or a Golf GTi (nice, liked by loads of people but I want to stick with a Toyota if possible) but I'm leaning towards a Corolla atm, what do you reckon?

Come down and have a look at mine at the weekend, back to the dealer with it again, the one on the dock road, I'm there at the service department from 0815...!

hmm ..... depends on what you want really. If your happy with the size of your car then I would get the yaris TS personally, okay the Corolla is a bit more up market (image wise) but you get pretty much the same spec although the engine is alot bigger.

Are you after one brand new or a second hand one?

Have you driven both - if not book a test drive?

I looked at the golf and it is in the next league spec wise compared to the corolla but you are paying extra for the name.

But my next car will be a golf or an A3 ..... hopefully :lol: ;)

Apart from the one's meantioned above I think they are the only choices out there at the mo :thumbsup:

I'd get a corolla - you get much more for your money in my opinion (also get one with leather seats - makes the car look much smarter I think).

Be prepared for your insurance company to rip you a new one tho (I paid a grand at 21).....

I used to have a golf gti anniversary and that was a good car. diesel economy and good performance. bad points were the ride and bits kept falling off it! also parts and servicing were horrific.

i've had my corolla t sport for 6 months and i am pleased with it. it drinks fuel but performance is good. Ride is good too.

girlfriend has a yaris t sport and without a shadow of doubt i would have the corolla any day of the week. the yaris ts feels slow! and i much prefer the driving position in the corolla, i am quite tall so have the seat all the way back. other than that its a personal decision

Having had my CTS for the last year now, I would most definately get another. I would make sure you get one from a Toyota dealer and try to get an extended warranty thrown in. There are a few niggles that could be expensive if you had to pay for them yourself, gearbox bearings and VSC failure seems to be a biggy. Be warned though they do get quite rattley, which really annoys if you have the radio off. Also try to get a post Face-lift version, i haven't got one, but now wish I paid the extra 1k for one. Got the new Yaris this week and they are like little go karts with less acceleration, but still fun!!! Its like being in my mates old mini.

i think the yari ts looks better but if the corolla would be the choice if you want a bigger car!

I used to have a golf gti anniversary and that was a good car. diesel economy and good performance. bad points were the ride and bits kept falling off it! also parts and servicing were horrific.

i've had my corolla t sport for 6 months and i am pleased with it. it drinks fuel but performance is good. Ride is good too.

girlfriend has a yaris t sport and without a shadow of doubt i would have the corolla any day of the week. the yaris ts feels slow! and i much prefer the driving position in the corolla, i am quite tall so have the seat all the way back. other than that its a personal decision

Thanks for the reply, I've never driven any of the 3 I'm looking at which is what I'll probably do before deciding but they're all going to feel great next to my 1.0. I know what you mean with the seat issue too, I can never get completely comfortable in the Yaris, I'm 5'11 & even with the seat all the way back my knees are slightly closer to the pedals than I'd like (in fact, I've always been short & didn't think about maybe being too tall for the car & bought it from an auction without sitting in it then when I 1st got in I worried that I might not be able to drive it).

I went into a Toyota stealership last night on my way home from work (when they were about to close so there was no time for a test drive) & had a look at 1 & the 1st thing I did was push the seat back as far as I could, I felt like a midget again. I'd prefer to stick with a Toyota if possible (even though the people at the top look like they're determined to get rid of any traces of sportiness from the image) & the Golf I'd been looking at was the 1.8 GTi but I'd prefer a fairly new 1 & they don't exist so Corolla leads the chase so far.

Having had my CTS for the last year now, I would most definately get another. I would make sure you get one from a Toyota dealer and try to get an extended warranty thrown in. There are a few niggles that could be expensive if you had to pay for them yourself, gearbox bearings and VSC failure seems to be a biggy. Be warned though they do get quite rattley, which really annoys if you have the radio off. Also try to get a post Face-lift version, i haven't got one, but now wish I paid the extra 1k for one. Got the new Yaris this week and they are like little go karts with less acceleration, but still fun!!! Its like being in my mates old mini.

Thanks but chances are I'll get it from an auction, if I get it cheap enough I should be able to pay for a few problems to be fixed with the savings, are there many problems? I haven't had 1 problem with the Yaris, I couldn't be doing with an unreliable car now.

[Edit - Forgot to say, when you say post face-lift, do you mean 2004 or newer?]

Although i've never driven either, i'd go with the Rolla ;)

Been a passenger in a Rolla TS and gotta say as you go through 6,200rpm it WILL put a smile on your face :D :thumbsup:

Come down and have a look at mine at the weekend, back to the dealer with it again, the one on the dock road, I'm there at the service department from 0815...!

Is that in Liverpool or Norwich?

I'd get a corolla - you get much more for your money in my opinion (also get one with leather seats - makes the car look much smarter I think).

Be prepared for your insurance company to rip you a new one tho (I paid a grand at 21).....

Yeah, 1 of the 1st things I do when I see a car I like is get an insurance quote, I was frankly astonished to see that I could afford the insurance for a TS

go for the rolla facelift model, from 04 plate, love it had no problems yet but don't drive like a maniac, :thumbsup:

i'd second what wilber said, facelift is the way to go! other than the external differences the steering wheel controls are better and the dials look sweeter

I've had issues with the Traction control turning itself off, brake cynlinder gave up the ghost, and a pump that forces air through the exhaust stopped working (not sure what you call that - didn't ask). These were all fixed on warranty, i have one of the first CTS's though (51 plate), so not sure if they'll happen on a newer one.

Is that in Liverpool or Norwich?

It was Liverpool, sorry, should have been more specific. Anyway, they found that one of the rear brake sliders had moved or bent so the grinding noise has been rectified...

Are you mad? I got a quote of £800 at 20... and only £1200 for the Compressor.

who was that with? and is that with 3yrs NCB?

Good for you.... everyone gets different insurance quotes - based on location, mileage etc.....

Mines down to £630 this year anyway.

I started with a Yaris GS then after a year I bought the CTS. It was because I thought the Yaris was so good for what it was that I thought the CTS would be great.

I also went on a Toyota track day at Silverstone and thrashed the CTS round an obstacle course in the car park. That sold it to me really, and when I could afford one I bought it.

Three and a half years and 35k miles of happy motoring later I have had a great time with the car. It's fun on the track but also reliable and practical and you can drive it relatively quickly and safely in any weather. I would not say that about some other hot hatches.

In the end, as I don't do many miles at the moment, I decided to get an old skool Toyota from the early 90s while it was still easy to do so (new import rules come in after 1997). I know I will miss the practical pace of the Corolla, but if I ever fancy another hot hatch I expect Toyota will always be able to provide one in the future.

Paul.

I'm starting to think about other options now, I've read various posts in here that have been less than complimentry about the reliabilty of them & that's a very important thing for me, chances are I'll be buying from an auction so wont get any warranties so I want a car that wont give me endless grief. Another thing is the performance of them, I keep hearing how good it is above 6,200 rpm which is great but I want something that I can enjoy without giving it stick all the time, the Yaris is reasonably quick at high revs but sometimes I just want to get some acceleration without hammering it, can you do that in a CTS?

I'm thinking about a YTS again, the Yaris is pretty much big enough for me (apart from legroom) so the fact that it's quick & practical isn't a massive issue with me, as long as it's got 5 seats & a bit of boot space I'll be happy enough. Having said that though, I'd still probably prefer a CTS if it wasn't for the above issues.

So come on Corolla owners, convince me a CTS would be my best option & chances are I'll buy 1 :thumbsup:

having driven a yaris TS for a week on my holidays and got back in my corolla. Corolla every time without doubt. See if you can get hold of one and take it for a spin. You'll like it way more than a yaris TS

So come on Corolla owners, convince me a CTS would be my best option & chances are I'll buy 1 :thumbsup:

Go for a drive in the CTS and drive it hard :D

Paul.

Paul.

Yeah, that's what I'll do, I haven't driven a YTS yet & the closest Mr T with 1 is miles away so I'll get myself over there, test drive that 1 then a CTS & see what I think.

Are they generally reliable or do people have many problems with them?

Paul.

Yeah, that's what I'll do, I haven't driven a YTS yet & the closest Mr T with 1 is miles away so I'll get myself over there, test drive that 1 then a CTS & see what I think.

Are they generally reliable or do people have many problems with them?

They are generally relaible. They have little (and a couple of larger) niggly faults that ALL new cars have, but unlike other manufacturers, they're not ones which will see you stranded on the side of the road!!!! I'd recommend one... but wait for the right facelift one to come around... :yes:

I've had my TS for over a year now and I dont have any regrets. If I were to buy another (which I would) I would go for a facelift model as it has more sound insulation inside, as it can get a little boomy on the motorway, but this is probably me being picky.

I also find it's not as bad below the lift as people make out; it's very driveable.

HTH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links