Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Rebuild

Platty

Hi i have an mr2 gt t-bar Hreg 1992.

I had a problem with it this weekend there is no compression in cylinder 3.

It has been in a garage and i have been told a piston has blown and the engine is also hitting the shank (doesnt mean anything to me)

The garage said he could put an old mreg 88,000 mile engine in for £450 plus £350 labour does this sound like the best option?

Please help only had the car two and half months and starting to regret.

It has been in a garage and i have been told a piston has blown and the engine is also hitting the shank (doesnt mean anything to me)

The garage said he could put an old mreg 88,000 mile engine in for £450 plus £350 labour does this sound like the best option?

An engine transplant seems like the best option but I'd probably try finding an engine with less miles on it since you are going to the trouble of changing it. £350 for the labour sounds pretty good.

An engine transplant seems like the best option but I'd probably try finding an engine with less miles on it since you are going to the trouble of changing it. £350 for the labour sounds pretty good.

Found an engine with 40K on. Will fit for £350 and engine is £350. Plus will change belt etc.

Think i'll go with this.

Tough luck on the engine diagnosis, I thought it might be a bit serious :(

2nd hand engines are always a bit of a gamble no matter how many miles they have done, I would sooner have one that has done a million miles if it was driven by a granny than one with ten miles driven by a boy racer ;) , funny thing is all second hand engines sold have been very carefully driven by their previous owners :rolleyes:

All I can say is good luck with what ever you go for :thumbsup:

Les

Tough luck on the engine diagnosis, I thought it might be a bit serious :(

2nd hand engines are always a bit of a gamble no matter how many miles they have done, I would sooner have one that has done a million miles if it was driven by a granny than one with ten miles driven by a boy racer ;) , funny thing is all second hand engines sold have been very carefully driven by their previous owners :rolleyes:

All I can say is good luck with what ever you go for :thumbsup:

Les

Yeah i know what you mean. This engine has 3months guarantee. i might live to regret this but gonna go for it. Can't bare to see my mr2 just being sold off for parts or worse scrapped.

Right car has just been towed away :crybaby:

Hopefully to be reborn.

When i get it back can anyone please tell me the best way to keep my mr2 in as best condition possible?

oil etc

I'm really scared about it happing again.

Has anyone got any good stories after they had a engine rebuild??

thanks all :thumbsup:

Best tip is just to get it serviced regularly, if not doing it yourself then take it to a garage that you trust,

And, dont rag it straight after the re-build, it will need time to 'bed in' , most garages will take the car back after so any miles after a re-build, ie, 500 or 1000miles, to check that everything is okay and to change oils etc etc

and probably the best tip of all - talk to it nicely, my car always responds best when i dont shout at it lol :P :D

Best tip is just to get it serviced regularly, if not doing it yourself then take it to a garage that you trust,

And, dont rag it straight after the re-build, it will need time to 'bed in' , most garages will take the car back after so any miles after a re-build, ie, 500 or 1000miles, to check that everything is okay and to change oils etc etc

and probably the best tip of all - talk to it nicely, my car always responds best when i dont shout at it lol :P :D

i've shouted enough when it broke down lol

Cheers for advice tegan :thumbsup:

Good luck with it all , let us know how ya get on :)

will do. hopefully get back sat or sun.

Been exactly where u are when i got mine 12 months ago.... remember how i felt ... was some painful experience BUT

When the engine was sorted and after a few other relatively minor probs.... cars been !Removed! fantastic :thumbsup: Just do as has been suggested.... take it really slowly till after its been run in ... all will be better than ever....

while therye changing the engine maybe get them to have a look at the clutch and the cam belt and if theyre even remotely suspicious looking get them done also.... save more in the long run and mean less to likely go wrong :yes:

chances are Itll be great mate :thumbsup: 3 months from now youll be a happy bunny with a lovely car again ;)

Been exactly where u are when i got mine 12 months ago.... remember how i felt ... was some painful experience BUT

When the engine was sorted and after a few other relatively minor probs.... cars been !Removed! fantastic :thumbsup: Just do as has been suggested.... take it really slowly till after its been run in ... all will be better than ever....

while therye changing the engine maybe get them to have a look at the clutch and the cam belt and if theyre even remotely suspicious looking get them done also.... save more in the long run and mean less to likely go wrong :yes:

chances are Itll be great mate :thumbsup: 3 months from now youll be a happy bunny with a lovely car again ;)

He is doing cam belt included. I asked him to check clutch. Cheers for advice and i'll keep you updated.

Looks like you going for an engine swap, not a re-build.

If you have gone for a later engine (you mentioned one from an M reg), you will need the wiring loom and ECU too as there are differences in the various revisions. You have a Revision1. I am not sure about things like the gearbox and driveshafts... i.e if they are the same between revisions. But you should be OK.

I did an engine swap in my MK1 a couple of months after buying it. A year on and the engine is still pulling strong and running well. It sees more track use than road use and generally gets a hard life, but all is good.

Looks like you going for an engine swap, not a re-build.

If you have gone for a later engine (you mentioned one from an M reg), you will need the wiring loom and ECU too as there are differences in the various revisions. You have a Revision1. I am not sure about things like the gearbox and driveshafts... i.e if they are the same between revisions. But you should be OK.

I did an engine swap in my MK1 a couple of months after buying it. A year on and the engine is still pulling strong and running well. It sees more track use than road use and generally gets a hard life, but all is good.

Cheers for comments. Very much appreciated.

I didnt go for N reg. I went for an import (not sure of reg). i found it through 247spares.co.uk

Its being fitted as we speak. Yeah it is a new engine. hope all goes well. :D

[Hiya mate. i had a rebuild in my rev 1 turbo. the engine runs sweet as but sounds like a diesel somate to do with the oil they put in. ( after the running in oil) been told that they don't like some type of oils so i'll put a post up for suggestions on what's best. hope it all goes well.

I've had the rebuild done. Had the car for 4 days since and seems brilliant. I've done about 400 miles just taking it easy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links