Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Size Choice For T-sort Alloys

rents1977

I recently picked up a set of 16" T-Sport alloys for my Corolla T2.

They are currenlty wearing 195/55/16 Avon tyres that have seen better days.

I'm looking for new tyres, and am a little confused.

A lot of people on the forums recommend 205/50/16 for aftermarket 16" alloys.

I've used the handy tyre size link (http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html), and I see that the 195/55/16 is slightly over the current 195/60/15, and the 205/50/16 is slighly under.

A 1 inch rim diameter difference would equate to a 5.08mm reduction in tyre sidewall if I understand it right. So going from 195/60 to 195/55 makes sense.

However 205/50/16 throws up much more choice, and lower prices, when looking to get tyre quotes.

Is it best to stick to the standard (expensive) 195/55/16, or get the 205/50/16s?

Is there anything else to consider, eg width/tyre scrub etc?

Any advice gladly recieved.

Thanks.

Is it best to stick to the standard (expensive) 195/55/16, or get the 205/50/16s?

Thanks.

Hi rents1977,

I swapped the original 195/55/16 Bridgestone ER30's for 205/50/16 Toyo T1S at 14,000 miles because they were rubbish, plain and simple :)

I went for the bigger tyre because, as you say, they are (were?) more common and therefor cheaper. The Toyo has a tread pattern not dissimilar to the Goodyear F1 DSG2 (which I have on my MX5 and would rate highly), was much better in the dry and in the wet but not as good as the Bridgestone in the snow. They were still going strong when I traded the motor at 44000 miles.

My 1 year old TSport has come with Michelin Pilot Premacy XSE on it in the original size and although not as grippy as the Toyo, they are better than the Bridgestones.

When it comes to changing again, I think I'll go for the Toyo's in 205/50/16 as a good compromise in price/performance.

Snert

Just reading this (after spending a couple hours lookin at tyre prices) and where are you people finding that 205/50/16's are cheaper than 195/55/16's? I found the oposite (from mytyres):-

Toyo Proxes T-1R's 195/55/16 £59.60

205/50/16 £72.10

Dunlop SP Sport 3000A 195/55/16 £65.90

205/50/16 £91.90

Michelin Pilot Primacy 195/55/16 £88.90

205/55/16 £94.40

I agree that there is more choice in the 205/50 range but for the (in my opinion) very small difference the extra 10mm tread width and under 5mm reduced aspect i will pocket the £50 saving and put on 195/55's (getting Toyo's i think)

p.s. anyone found Toyo's cheaper than this, i've searched a couple places without getting any better.

Bero

Sorry - what I should have said was the choice of 195/55 was more restricted, and with the wider choice in 205/50 I got more choice with regards prices, so I could buy cheaper tyres.

There are some oddities though - with Toyo the prices I was looking at there is about a £10 premium for the 205/50, but with Dunlop it was only a couple of quid.

My first instinct was to go for the 195/55 as is it the correct size, but choice was very limited.

I'm no street racer, and can't think of any time I've ever really exceeded the grip avaialble from any tyre on any car I've owned.

I happily used Barum's on my 306 D-turbo, and had 35K miles out of Vredestein T tracs on a previous car - they were also great in the rain and snow, something I see plenty of...

For me wear rate, wet handling and road noise are quite a bit more important than dry grip levels. In an Autocar group test the Barums came out pretty well.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread. I finally got together the money, the wheel nuts and got my tyres ordered and fitted. About 3 months later or something!

I used a company called e-tyres who fitted tyres and swapped wheels in my office car park, and really liked the service. Another plus was that wheel nuts were done with a torque wrench rather than an air gun so the locking nults didn't get shredded. :thumbsup:

Anyway - I plumped for Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/55 R16 and at £75.90 a corner fully fitted etc I'm pretty happy. I think blackcircles were about 30p a corner cheaper, but didn't have an ideal place for fitment for me (they did have tons of options to be honest, just not the right ones for me).

The wheels have transformed the car, I've always liked the way they look, they might not be very individual, but they suit the car - although the car is a little rollerskate-ish now with the 2 inches between wheel and arch, but I know I can't lower it or it won't go in my driveway!! (2 inches may be an exageration, but it is a lot!)

The grip change from the 195/60 R15 Dunlops that were on the steelies is stunning. I can really feel a difference, and I'm not talking about caning it. just on roundabouts and the like. Very reassuring.

They are nice and quiet too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links