Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise Between 2100-2400 Rpm.

LEXUS

Hi everyone,I have a strange problem with my new Corolla!When i drive it on second,third or fourth gear between 2100-2400rpm. there is a strange knocking noise from the engine when accelerate or climbing a hill.I can hear it only when my window or passenger window is opened and it happenes when the air-con is on.I went to the Toyota mechanic and he said that i have to use petrol with higher octane,but i think the Corolla has knock sensors and don't have to knock.I use 95 octane unleaded,in the user manual a read that i have to use min.95H or higer octane petrol. :huh: Anyone has similar problems?

Does it make the noise at idle if u rev it to the specified range? I had one in last year which sounds similar. Had the head off 3 times before warranty authorised a short block. It ended up being the 'little end' bearings which was the culprit of the problem. Once fitted, the noise had gone.

Does it make the noise at idle if u rev it to the specified range?

Yes,but i noticed that the engine knock between 1500-2300 rpm. from time to time,but for a while when accelerate or climbing hills with the air-con on and i can hear it only with opened windows,otherwise there is no noise in the car.And the most important-the knocking/pimping/ is light and i think it knock for a little and then the knock sensor correct it.In the owner's manual i read that it's normal the engine to knock light for a little when accelerating or climbing hills.I drive it with 95 octane unleaded,but here in Bulgaria no one can be sure that is REALLY 95 octane.I have a friend who has worked in Shell and he told me that 95 octane is 93 octane here in Bulgaria. :huh:

It ended up being the 'little end' bearings which was the culprit of the problem.

I don't think so because i bought the car brand new from Toyota and now is 2500 miles on the clock. :thumbsup:

But i don't hear knocking every time i accelerate,just from time to time and mostly at 2100-2400 rpm. after that the knocking disappear. :blink: That's why i think it can't be bearings.Never mind tomorrow i'll go to Toyota.Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

i have aprox. the same problem, but i want to be sure. the noise - is it more like a "click"? that's what it sound like in my case. i went to toyota and after 4-5 hours the said it's the a/c compressor.

i noticed the sound around the same rpm that you mentioned and also on sharp turns and brakes. however, the same noise appeared (altough not so intense) with the a/c off, which was somewhat surprinsing.

i'm scheduled for september 26th. i'll let you know how it works out.

i have aprox. the same problem, but i want to be sure. the noise - is it more like a "click"? that's what it sound like in my case. i went to toyota and after 4-5 hours the said it's the a/c compressor.

i noticed the sound around the same rpm that you mentioned and also on sharp turns and brakes. however, the same noise appeared (altough not so intense) with the a/c off, which was somewhat surprinsing.

i'm scheduled for september 26th. i'll let you know how it works out.

Yes ,my case is exactly the same. :yes: I went to Toyota ,they checked the ecu and everything and they said everything is normal.The mechanic said the a/c makes that noise.And yes,when the a/c is on it knocks or as you said "click" more intense,when a/c is off the noise disappear or is very light . :thumbsup: What fuel are you use?95 octane or 98 octane?

well... good to know i'm not the only one.

i hope that by changing the compressor, they'll fix this problem. if it is indeed a problem. i talked to several other mechanics and most of them said it's somewhat normal.

i also forgot to mention that i can't hear the noise with the windows shut.

i'm more into electronics, so i'm not sure about the fuel. how can i find out?

what i can tell you is that it's diesel (2.0L D-4D; just to show off :)) ad i usually put euro-5 diesel fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

i went to the service center today. they changed the compressor. everything was fine, there wasn't any noise during the extensive tests over there.

when i got home... surprise! the same thing. this happened the last time as well.

i don't know what i should do. probably i'll have them look into it the next time i'm programmed for a periodical revision/ check-up.

i'm still not sure if it is a problem or not.

no, it's practically new. i has under 5000km (i think around 2800 miles).

i'm sure that it's the exact same sound that you can hear when switch the a/c on and off - a small click.

i will do a little reseach and come back with a reply later this day.

• 4 months later...

after a few more chats with toyota, various mechanics and after searching the net for about a week, i have come to the conclusion that the noise is normal - it might be the esp (or equivalent) kicking in at sharp turn, at inclines, etc.

since the car is fine and all the components are ok, i can't think of any other explanation.

what do you guys think?

Yes,same here. :thumbsup: Otherwise the car is great-nippy,economical and quiet. :yahoo:

...and what is the quality of the petrol in your county ?

Try few tanks of 98(or 100) ......and report on forum if there will be any change....

• 3 years later...
Hi everyone,I have a strange problem with my new Corolla!When i drive it on second,third or fourth gear between 2100-2400rpm. there is a strange knocking noise from the engine when accelerate or climbing a hill.I can hear it only when my window or passenger window is opened and it happenes when the air-con is on.I went to the Toyota mechanic and he said that i have to use petrol with higher octane,but i think the Corolla has knock sensors and don't have to knock.I use 95 octane unleaded,in the user manual a read that i have to use min.95H or higer octane petrol. :huh: Anyone has similar problems?

i have corolla 1.6 xli mod 2009

i have the same sound

i change the knocking sensor

but the same problem

but i tell toyota japan about tis problem and i wait for solve

think's

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone,

DId anyone manage to find what was the cause for this noise? I am having the same issue (actually for the past year and a half) and it has gradually got worse. I have a 2010 Toyota Auris in the UK and have done about 120k. I do a lot of miles per year so I need to get the most out of this car and I am afraid that this noise might develop into a big issue that will kill the car in some way! 

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Paren

I do not think many of the original posters from 10 years ago are still active.

Might help if you say what size and type of engine your Auris has, petrol or diesel.

What have you done about the knocking ?

Is it regularly serviced , by yourself or a garage?

Have you taken it in to a toyota dealer or garage to check it out ?

Have you tried a higher octane petrol to see if its just that...?

Hi oldcodger,

I didn't realise how old this thread is! I have a Toyota Auris 1.33 vvti petrol. The noise is like a knocking / clicking noise it's difficult to explain but it happens during acceleration between certain rpms around the 2000 mark and after changing to the second, third, fourth gears mainly.

It gets serviced by a garage, not the Toyota garage the last two times as i do a lot of mileage so need somewhere economical. Having said that the garage is brilliant and the noise was there prior to swapping over from the Toyota garage.

Probably take it to the Toyota garage and get it checked properly. I will try the higher octane fuel too. 

Thanks.

If its a noise thats becoming louder then assume any mechanic should be able to hear it on a test drive...

Though it could be an internal engine fault, if it could be described as a clicking then things like driveshaft CV joints or clutch etc could be the cause.

Do not think the Corolla was ever fitted with the 1.33VVTI so suggest you repost   and search in the Auris forum as it might be a known fault for that specific model.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links