Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New T-sport

alanbradley

As part of a review of the next year's worth of new hot hatches Autocar lowered themselves to mention the new Yaris T-Sport

Will I want one?

Toyota doesn't ahve a glorious histoy building sparky hot hatches, so hopfully the Yaris T-Sport will rectify that, with 1.8-litre four-pot related tothe Toyota unint in the Lotus Elise. Its the biggest engine to have been used in a Yaris, and although it won't be as highly tuned as the Lous's unit, it could still gt close to that car's 189bhp.

When's it due and what will it cost?

Although its been billed as a concept, it will arrive early next year. The Yaris is a pricey little car, so don't expect much change from £13,500

Hot rating:- 2 chillis out of 5

Sounds alright to me... :!Removed!:

Other hot hatches mentioned are:-

Fiat Punto Abarth, Sporting & GT models (crap and will fall to bits) - up to £18,000 and 5 chillis

Peugeot 207 GTi (crap and will fall to bits) - about £15,500 and 2 chillis

Vauxhall Corsa VXR (chav/ned-tastic) - about £15,000 and 3 chillis

Honda Civic Type-R ('cos your granny drives something similar) - about £18,000 and 5 chillis

Volvo C30 T5 (because you're too grown up for a Focus ST) - £17,500-ish and 4 chillis

Dodge Caliber SRT4 ("you cannot be serious..." ) - £16,500 ish, 2 chillis

Mini Cooper S (in touch with your feminine side, sir?) - about £16k and 3 chillis

Suzuki Swift Sport (couldn't afford a Mini) - roughly £10,500 and 2 chillis

Mazda 3 MPS (having kids stopped me buying an MX-5) - £17k and 3 chillis

Is pretty much a done deal for me...

:thumbsup:

A

believe it when I see it tbh

Toyota have lost interest in making fast cars - a 190bhp Yaris seems like a pipe dream to me

it'll be a 1.6 or something instead, due to the slightly increased weight & size of the current model

or maybe a 1.8 if they had a stack of engines left over, after cancelling the MR2 & Celica :lol: but I sooo doubt that :P looking at ~130 / 140bhp a la MR2 if they do stuff a 1.8 in it, VVT-i not the lovely VVTL-i I'd say

Yeah, I fear the 1.5 too - after all, they use it in North America - but maybe it could be an SR...

:unsure:

A

:lol: at your list of other hot hatches there though, Alan.

I think if I wanted a real 'hot hatch' I dunno if I would buy the Yaris TS - bit of a 'warm' hatch if you ask me, I certainly dont think the next one will be 'hot' .

- but at the same time, I have no idea what I would buy instead, nothing in that list by Alan there inspires me. I'd contemplate the Civic Type-R but they are SO common and borderline chavvy because of that :( and its european designed and too softy to be a genuine Type-R in my books.

the problem with european hot hatches is they are too powerful (especially the crummy Vauxhalls) and they torque-steery due to hot-hatches being FWD.

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd probably import a DC5 Integra Type-R from Japan and have done with it :) not a compact by any stretch of the imagination - more Coupe shaped. but it isn't a coupe, as its not 2-door :P

and its light, FWD and 2 litres. so close enough for me & they are a bit exclusive too :P

You've hit the nail on the head there Snellgrove. There's nothing else out there that really appeals - the closest its the Colt CZT and even that I'm not at all sure about. Your comments on the Civic as spot-on as far as I'm concerned. Its nice, but I wouldn't want one.

And no, before anyone says it (and you know who you are), a Mk1 T-Sport is not near the list!

A

i saw it at the motor show in london and to look at its nothing special infact if you bear with me im gonna get the pics off me cam soon u can have a look.. Nothing as visually stunning as the P1 t-sport :D

Nothing as visually stunning as the P1 t-sport :D

:D

The ultimate if you ask me, is the front end from a P1 and a back-end from a P2! I think thats pretty much perfect IMO.

The P1 rear-end has one red light, one white.. etc - not half as nice as the P2. I dont even think it looks that great with 2 white / clear lights.. if I could (cheaply) change my reverse light to look like the fog, I would though.

For P2, unfortunately swapping the bumpers & stuff is no doubt prohibitively expensive, and at the end of the day I've never been impressed by bodykits and other assorted stuck-on plastic or generally how a car looks.

I'd much prefer to spend money swapping bits around that matter...... The ones that make the car more fun to drive :thumbsup: (this is probably also the reason I've never owned a set of aftermarket alloys :o weird huh)

• 1 month later...

my guess is ,it will be only be a three door version and will be set at about 140bhp and cost around £14000 , im test driving new yaris 1.3 t-spirit at the moment on 2 day test and it is really well put together, bit gutless but hey its put on weight (bit like me .lol).after taking out peugoet 207,seat ibiza and leon the new yaris is so much betterin driving position road presence and comfort, its just a pity ive got to wait for new t-sport till next year.. :wacko:

Well i believe it :thumbsup:

when i was sitting at TTE having dinner with Mat and the TTE boss 18 months ago,

we had a conversation about the new yaris,

He told me it was comming to europe with a 1.8 engine in it.

Now thats going to be fun when TTE get there hands on it,,,,mmmmm supercharged :drool:

Yes! :D

This one is due for change next year so I'm actually trying to lessen the average mileage (without much success tbh). About this time next year I should be queueing up for one...

A

Well there's plenty of room under the bonnet of the new Yaris to fit a 1.8 (Steve, we need a pic of the engine bay ;) ).

A supercharger or even a turbo should also fit quite comfortably with plenty of space to spare....

An '08 plate??? no 'kin chance...

We can't wait for you women to decide on whether or not you want one...

Well there's plenty of room under the bonnet of the new Yaris to fit a 1.8 (Steve, we need a pic of the engine bay ;) ).

A supercharger or even a turbo should also fit quite comfortably with plenty of space to spare....

Have not taken any pics of the engine bay yet, but it looks like there is loads of room under the tiny bonnet to fit a 1.8 with supercharger or turbo :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links