Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 2.0 Gt 1990 'g' Alternator Prob.

goody

hi guy and gals, put a question out last week about some warning lights on me dash, asking for advise, wheather its my alternator going or a bad connection somewhere, we all know that to take it somewhere to be checked could be costly, when they stick a new alternator on , i priced one up and that was £180 just think what a garage would put on that price, anyway their is a jap car breaker here in derby and he had some alternators, so taking a chance i bought one for £50, hoping that would sort it, and yes im happy as a pig in **** now ! so if anyone has three warning lights on that are 1. the Battery light 2. the add oil light and 3. the caution light (!) and only 12 volts showing on the amp meter, then it the diodes in the back of the alternator. note. mine charged sometime, but not others. just thought this might help for future thoughts. goody :thumbsup:

hi goody , ive got the same prob . did you replace the whole alternator or use parts from breakers. i have a 90

st182 import , do you know if the alts are the same as uk spec ? and can you give me the no. of the breakers cheers

hi, i changed the whole alternator , it must have been a fault inside, im not sure as to your questions but the breakers i used is in derby, NIPPON AUTOS 07796031827 , mobile cause they had a fire in their building and he's sorting it . goody. :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

exactly the same faults happened with mine toyota celica 16v gt 2.0 - had it pinned down to possibly alternator on Battery goin flat to nil charge - will replace alternator and post back if its cured or not -

exactly the same faults happened with mine toyota celica 16v gt 2.0 - had it pinned down to possibly alternator on battery goin flat to nil charge - will replace alternator and post back if its cured or not -

Once the engine is running, the alternator should be providing 14.4v to the electrical system. If you can only measure 12v or less, then the alternator is not doing it's job. The state of the Battery is irrelevent.

i got a cpl of alternators lying around

From reading these forums you have a couple of spare cars lying around :lol:

Want to donate one? :drool:

• 1 year later...

You absolute superstar! I joined this forum because i have this exact problem on my 91 gt but wasn't about to buy a new alternator if it was something else further down the circuit, what was throwing me was the three lights instead of just one, why would the oil level light come on??

No matter, i'll get this sorted now, nice one lads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links