Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Argh! 3 Points :'(

ssk2

Got a letter in the post yesterday telling me I'd been photographed doing going over the speed limit on Monday (the bank holiday).

It was me and I remember being there at that time - but there were no speed cameras on that road! (I must go down that road at least 3 times a week!)

Anyway, was caught doing 43 mph in a 30 zone - it's a big road - just coming off a big roundabout where you can pretty much go straight across :S. I was fasting that day too (religious reasons) so my thinking wasn't exactly too clear...

Besides which, the road was downhill - it's very easy to pick up speed.

I know none of these are excuses for what speed I was doing but I'm !Removed! annoyed nonetheless - having only had my full license since October last year.

My insurance on the Yaris is due for renewal in January - so my question is, I'm due to go to university in October, we're not allowed cars there. Obviously my insurance is going to triple or something stupid now that I have points. Previously I was thinking that my dad should take my name off the policy and just add me on as temporary for the holidays that I am at home (assuming this is possible?) - since it would probably work out cheaper than paying for the full year.

Is it likely that they will now refuse to insure me as a temporary driver because of my age and points?

I dont think they'll deny you, it'll just go up.... the best person to speak to about it though is away this weekend and thats Blue84.... might be worth sending her a PM for when she gets back?

Are there any little camera signs on that stretch of road... if not then surely there shouldnt have been a camera there - if so, you were just unlucky that day and got caught out :unsure:

Just watch it now though.... get over 3 more points and its bye bye licence.... so slow down - you dont want to lose something you've worked so hard for!

You are well over reacting, 3 points dont really affect your premuim nowadays as so many people have them, Its anything over 5 points that really affects your premuim. bet it doesnt change really tbh

Demonic Angel -

Yep, I know! There are camera signs but there's never once been a police van - coming from both directions down the road. My dad reckons that they had an unmarked van on the side of the road I was coming down and had set up behind it - I don't think I would have had a chance!

I shall ask Blue84, I assume she has had a similar experience?

Moffmo -

I'll ask them, I'm not sure if it the impact might be worse because I'm only 18? Planning on phoning them up later today.

No, she works in car insurance - she helps with everyones insurance queries! :thumbsup:

Serious though mate - you have to slow down! You're on probation remember, so stick to the limit from now on! :thumbsup:

Ah I see!

Yeah, I will slow down :-s.

I'm afraid of the road at the moment - in the last 3 weeks I've been hit twice on my bicycle - once by a van (who drove off) and second time by a motorcycle (who stuck around) - both not my fault...

I think I will sit in my bedroom and turn the shades down...

You better hope it's only going to be 3 points.........

If you've just passed your first driving test - congratulations! But remember, if you clock up six or more penalty points in the next two years, you'll lose your licence and have to take the test again.

Statistics show you're most at risk of having an accident in the two years or so after you pass your test - one in five newly qualified drivers have a crash within a year. We'll take your licence away if you increase that risk by committing offences like speeding.

Penalty points

The main penalty point offences are:

* Speeding: 3-6 points

* Going through a red light: 3 points

* Careless driving: 3-9 points

* Driving without insurance: 6-8 points

* Failing to stop after an accident: 5-10 points

If you run six or more penalty points, you'll get a letter telling you your licence is no longer valid. You should inform your insurance company immediately.

You will have to apply for a new provisional licence to continue driving as a learner

If you are only getting the 3 points.. it might not affect your insurance at all.. when i was younger i got 3 and it didn't affect my insurance.. that was an SP30.

There are camera signs

Can't really have any complaints then, it's easy enough to get caught where there are no signs, let alone where there are them. You've got to really stay on the ball nowadays, the police are always trying to catch people.

As Moffmo says, the insurance companies are generally ok with 3 points, my brother got some a few weeks ago & they said they usually let the 1st offence go then hit you if you get any more. My main worry if I were you would be your licence, get nicked again & you kiss it goodbye, that would absolutely ruin me if it happened, you'll have to be really careful from now on.

Oh god! 6 points! :|:|:|:|:|:|

Whats usual? I'm getting scared now!

I need my license!

Since my dad legally owns the car he got the letter - so I've no idea how points it will take... - he just sent off the slip saying it was someone else driving.

Its done on the severity of the offence I think....

You were doing 43 in a 30, therefore 13mph over the limit.... thats quite a lot... no one can say how many points you'll get but maybe they'll be lenient as its your first driving offence??

......or tough to give you a shock :eek: NAh, I got 3 points for going 47 in a 30 so hopefully you'll just get those. I think if you had been going just 7 mph faster it would mean court :o

Try not to worry mate -I know it's hard :thumbsup:

I was fasting that day too (religious reasons) so my thinking wasn't exactly too clear...

Firstly thats the worse excuse I have ever heard!!!!!! Makes me angry!

Dont worry as SP30's are ten a penny these days, probably wont make any noticable difference to your premium, but like everyone said just be more carefull as thats your first and only get out of jail card, next time your a bus monkey!

Friend of mine got 6 points for 38 in a 30. So it could swing either way... depends on who deals with it... my friend was charged on 'without due care and attention' which a lot of police are doing these days to bump up their figures.

Hopefully you'll get lucky... 3 points will add maybe a tenner at most, insurance companies have realised how annoying speed camera's are and the riduculous way in which they are used, so they are becoming more leniant.

If you get the 6 points though... no driving for you im afraid. Got to be sooo careful in first 2 years of driving. I wasn't (ask earpl who came int car with me when i was running late! :lol: ) but im a frickin' genious of epic proportions! (I bought a radar-detector!) :lol:

I got done for doing 72 in a 50.... (motorway roadworks) at around 11pm..

I got 3 points n a fine..

dont worry about it... I spoke to an insurance company a bit ago.. they said they didnt really worry about 3 points.. and some dont even worry too much about 6 points.. as the country is so camera/speed happy at the moment...

I reckon you'll just get the 3 points but you never know! :wacko:

Also, if you're the named driver and usually the only one who drives it put your insurance policy on limited mileage (say 4k a year) and the premium will drop by quite a margin! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links