Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idling Erratic

PaulWill

Does anyone else have idling issues with their Verso? I have the 160 engine (2006), and the car struggles to idle consistently at traffic lights, particularly when the air conditioning is on.

What happens is this: I put my foot on the clutch and the revs drop immediately to about 1100. Then slowly they drop to about 800. Then suddenly they drop to below 600, and the car almost stalls. Then the engine management kicks in and pushes the revs up to between 1100 and 1200. Then the cycle begins again by slowly dropping back to 800, and so on.

The local Toyota service centre's solution is to up the base revs from 800 to 1100. This has solved the stalling issue, but now I have other problems. Obviously idling in traffic is consting me 50% more than before. Also, when travelling at low speeds, e.g. 2nd gear @ 30 km/h, the car is only running at about 1100 revs. When I change to 3rd, the revs shoot up to about 1600 between gear selection!

Does anyone else have issues? Toyota is trying to tell me that this is normal and I want to know if I should accept that...

Thanks all!

Does anyone else have idling issues with their Verso? I have the 160 engine (2006), and the car struggles to idle consistently at traffic lights, particularly when the air conditioning is on.

What happens is this: I put my foot on the clutch and the revs drop immediately to about 1100. Then slowly they drop to about 800. Then suddenly they drop to below 600, and the car almost stalls. Then the engine management kicks in and pushes the revs up to between 1100 and 1200. Then the cycle begins again by slowly dropping back to 800, and so on.

The local Toyota service centre's solution is to up the base revs from 800 to 1100. This has solved the stalling issue, but now I have other problems. Obviously idling in traffic is consting me 50% more than before. Also, when travelling at low speeds, e.g. 2nd gear @ 30 km/h, the car is only running at about 1100 revs. When I change to 3rd, the revs shoot up to about 1600 between gear selection!

Does anyone else have issues? Toyota is trying to tell me that this is normal and I want to know if I should accept that...

Thanks all!

Hi -

No; that is not normal. My 160Verso idles at about 800rpm at normal running temperature.

When the aircon. kicks in while idling, then it drops to about 700, but then compensates itself back to 800.

When cold, the automatic choke pushes it up to about 1200rpm.

Even if your Verso's revs. are higher, it should be constant and not fluctuate as you have mentioned. When you change gears, the revs. must naturally drop, not shoot up.

I must say though that withing the first week I purchased my 2005 Verso, one day the idling was very low and rough. The car didn't have much power. I ignored it and have never had the problem again.

Sometimes new vehicles need a bit of mileage before the niggly irratating problems dissapear.

Regards

Erwin

Yep Ive had this too and my car has actually stalled on 2 occasions but toyota say its normall.

Trouble is it not all the time and as sods law never when they check it, however i was told to treat it to a tank of Shell optimun (haha) oh and also to have the fuel tank cleaned! apparently a 2005 car cant really handle tescos unleaded!

oh I give up, ive had nowt but trouble with my verso from day one, shame cos its deffo the sexiest people carrier out.

• 8 months later...

Toyota just replaced what they referred to as the "idling ECU". This has improved this problem slightly - it still fluctuates when the AC kicks in, but I guess it is in the acceptable range. Seems it only affects the 160 model in SA - I think this corresponds to the T2 in the UK. The models with a climate control unit work differently.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links