Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling Engine?

S.Kayani

noticed the engine rattles when its on and is quite noisy...kinda like a diesel...lol

been told it might be the engine oil, any one know what it could be?!?? lol cheers :thumbsup:

hmm..found this on the net

i the blue oil light comes on for a while then turns off so it could be one of these i think...

Your engine or oil light comes on while driving:

The oil light may be marked engine. If this is the case, this light and warning system monitors the water temperature of the engine in addition to the oil. If this light stays on regardless of how fast you run the engine, there is a serious problem. Sometimes the light will come on when the engine is idling and go out when the engine's speed is increased. In most cases, this problem becomes more evident as the problem gets worse.

Possible causes:

The engine has lost oil pressure or has low oil pressure: Oil pump has failed. Stop the engine and have it repaired. (Not a DIY job)

The oil pressure sending unit is bad: Replace sending unit.

The engine is very low on oil: Check and fill oil.

The engine is overheating: Repair cooling system.

Your blue light is the water temp

it will be blue when you first start the car as your engines cold,

when the water warms up the blue light goes out.

Yes, the blue light is normal. If the same light comes on and its red, thats when you have a problem. This will indicate a problem witht the engine overheating/cooling system

Yup.

As Kimi said, it's an engine temperature light.

As your engine gets up to running temperature, it'll go out.

It's when you're driving along, and it comes on "red," that you need to worry, as that means it's over-heating.

All engines will rattle slightly, and even move on their mounts.

If you're really worried, then take it to your nearest Toyota garage.

Dear S

The light is functioning correctly. Blue when cold, off during normal driving, and red for overheat. Some of the early Yaris had a coars e timing chain adjuster. This means there would have to be lots of play in the chain before it would adjust up to the next tooth on the ratchet. As the chain wears/stretches very slowly there could be a long time before the next tooth catches and quietens the drive. I suggest you take it to you dealer who will have a listen and should offer advice for free. In the meantime, check your engine oil level and top up as required.

Would I be right in saying that most engines are louder when they first start up and then quieten when the engine temp warm up a little??

Most engines are a little noisier when cold..........................thats a very good reason to NOT thrash them until they have warmed up...(Your blue temperature light gone out)

In fact thrashing is not really good for an engine anytime, particularly if your oil level is low.

cheers guys, oil level is fine, might change it any way, any tips on which oil is best?

any way might just take it to toyota to see what they have to say bout it

and cheers ray, i do have the earlier version (1999) so it might be that

It's probably not the oil...

I had the "diesel/chainsaw/sewing machine" effect from my engine a while ago... :)

It turned out to be a faulty exhaust header gasket! :thumbsup:

Had the same noise on my P1 TS turned out to be the clutch, cost 170 for a new one and fitting on top. Best to get a diagnostic..only about 30 quid, ull get your answer then.

lol ok cheers mate, ill suggest that to a garage...

edit:

how much did it cost you to get sorted mate?

Around 15-20 squids for the part + fitting!

:thumbsup:

cool

i popped down to a local garage today who gave it a quick look, reckons its the timing chain :-S

could be very pricey :-S lol

• 9 months later...

How long /how many miles before the ensioner takes up the slack?

Is there anything I can do to accelerate this process?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links