Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Computer Help Please

Gareth B

I have had an issue for some time which i have tried a few times to sort out but gave up and have "tolerated" it.

It is now getting on my man !Removed!!

When I go into My Pictures (os is XP Media Suite) with thumbnail view selected I cannot see the images as i used to be able to. I have to select the picture which then opens in microsoft picture editor. I'm sure it never used to. Becomes a pain when trying to attach an image by browsing as i can't see them until selected and haven't got around to naming them all yet.

Also when i go on autotrader and quite a few other sites with images, mostly linked from autotrader, I cannot see the images. No red cross or anything just no image.

I'm guessing it is a setting and not a codec issue as i have tried updating codecs etc..

Any thoughts? Go easy on me as said I stumble around a PC and "get by"

Any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

Hi Gareth

What office version are you using? as in office 2000, xp or 2003

And have you upgraded from office 2000, xp to 2003?

Hi, I've got to be quick.

Go to the my pictures folder. At the top is "tools" click there then click "folder options"

When the box pops up click on the "Restore Defaults" button, then click on the "View" Tab at the top of the box.

There will be a "Restore Defaults" button there too, click it, then click apply.

This might solve some of your problems.

Give it ago!

Simple answer:

Open My Pictures folder as you have been doing.

On the bar at the top of the window left click on the folder option icon (should be the one on the left on of the large icons next to folders).

A list of options will appear, you require "Filmstrip". Windows should remember this setting until the next time you change it.

Incidentally the filmstrip option will appear if you have any other directory that windows detects has a number of pictures, so the option will work on other directories too.

Hi Gareth

What office version are you using? as in office 2000, xp or 2003

And have you upgraded from office 2000, xp to 2003?

Mark I am using office XP, i haven't upgraded or altered this as far as i am aware.

Hi, I've got to be quick.

Go to the my pictures folder. At the top is "tools" click there then click "folder options"

When the box pops up click on the "Restore Defaults" button, then click on the "View" Tab at the top of the box.

There will be a "Restore Defaults" button there too, click it, then click apply.

This might solve some of your problems.

Give it ago!

Thanks I tried this but still no joy :(

Simple answer:

Open My Pictures folder as you have been doing.

On the bar at the top of the window left click on the folder option icon (should be the one on the left on of the large icons next to folders).

A list of options will appear, you require "Filmstrip". Windows should remember this setting until the next time you change it.

Incidentally the filmstrip option will appear if you have any other directory that windows detects has a number of pictures, so the option will work on other directories too.

It doesn't matter which viewing option I choose I cannot see the images unless I open them individually. Then they open with microsoft photo editor which i am sure they never used too.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't know wether you use IE or Firefox but For IE try this....

1. Right-click the red X or placeholder for the image, and then click Properties. Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer by examining the Type or Address (URL) values in the Properties dialog box. For example, a Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) file will list GIF Image for Type and the Address (URL) ends with .gif. Internet Explorer displays images with an .art, .wmf, .emf, .png, .mov, .xbm, .avi, .mpg, .gif, .jpg, .mpeg, and .bmp extensions.

2. Start Internet Explorer.

3. If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Note If the Links toolbar is not visible, right-click a blank area of the toolbar and verify that there is a check next to Links. If the Toggle Images.exe link is not visible on the Links toolbar, click the arrow with two angle brackets on the far right-side of the Links toolbar.

4. Verify that Show Pictures has not been turned off in Internet Explorer:

a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

b. Click the Advanced tab, and then verify that the Show Pictures check box is selected under Multimedia.

c. Click OK.

5. Make sure scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java applets are enabled in Internet Explorer. To do so, follow these steps:

a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

b. Click the Security tab, and then click Default Level (if it is available) for the zone which contains the Web page (for example, Internet).

c. If you are using Internet Explorer 6, click the Privacy tab, and then click Default (if it is available).

From here

The My Pictures problem....

Can you right click on the My Picture icon and then click Properties. Click on the Advanced button at the bottom and check that only For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to index this folder has a tick next to it. If any of the others have a tick next to them, untick them and click ok

Is it possible that you are running low on memory/hard disk space.

Onmy mobile phone, when memory is low, thumbnail pictures do not show or at least take ages to load.

Mark thanks for your efforts but everything mentioned on there seems to be in order and all checked in the right place.

Robie, you might be on to something. Although I have 360gb of HD space and only 50gb used i'm sure when I was looking through some of the settings there was a slider bar where you can allocate how much memory space you want to allocate to images. I just need to find it again.

Edit: No that slider was for space allocated to temporary offline files :( Still stumped.

I feel a re-format coming on! Not such a bad thing just time consuming.

I have had another thought:-

Have you installed a version of Photoshop on your PC?

I remember I had a similar problem on my father's PC. The problem was that photoshop was causing the problems. The problem was down to the fact that the file associations were switch from Microsoft Paint to Photoshop and it caused all kinds of problems, making the PC very slow.

To get to the filetypes you will need to go to the my pictures folder, and click on tools > folderoptions. Click on the File Types tab and check that all the common photo file extensions (.jpg, .tif etc...) are associated with Microsoft Photo editor.

It might also be an idea to check whether the correct extension is being used on your files. In the folder options screen click the view tab and ensure that the "Hide extensions for known file types" is unticked. Then doucle check that the photographs in question end in an appropriate extension (normally .jpg for photographs).

Found another answer for you, but this is a bit "Tecchi":-

http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslo...t-in-win-xp.asp

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links