Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installing A Reversing System - A Diy Job?

gerger

I have just received a gift of a reversing kit (NIKKAI) - 4 sensors and a camera - and a reversing mirror that shows the camera picture and also the sensor status, when the car is in reverse. The mirror claims to replace the existing mirror but I am not considering that. The existing mirror seems to be 'welded' to the wind screen. I would place the new mirror on the dashboard at the side. Mounting plate and 'glue' are part of the kit.

I have a 6 month old Toyota Corolla Verso, so don't want to mess it up :)

It's my first Toyota - had a Spacewagon for 12 years.

I want to install the reversing system.

Now to the question. Is this a DIY job? I am a competent DIY person and know the electrics well. However I have no knowledge of how to get the wiring from the rear of the car up to the dashboard. I hope there are snap in/out plastic parts to give access to wiring run? Or maybe the wires can be run externally on the underbody? The kit contains a die for drilling the rear bumper to mount the sensors and camera, so that should not be a problem.

So, is this something you would recommend I try? Are there any sources of information on access to the interior wire ducts or running/hiding interior cables? Or should I admit defeat and employ a pro?

Opinions appreciated please !!

Ger

if the cables are long enough you could take them under the car into the engine bay and then through one of the existing rubber grommtis into the car and then to the dash. with the sensors though do you have to drill the bumper to put them in?

if you do id give it a miss and get a pro to do it. if not give it a go and if you cant do it, then get a pro

Thanks Steven.

Why do you warn about drilling the bumper? The kit contains a bit that is the correct diameter for the sensors and camera. It looks like the bumper material is quite soft - not metal but plastic-like. Wouldn't that be easy to drill? But I certainly don't want to muck up the bumper.

Ger

The dash will come apart simple enough with only a couple of screws holding it in place - the rest are just clips :thumbsup: !

You could probably also trail the wires through the interior of the car into the boot and then out into the bumper?

Also what power does it need?

You could have a look here and see if there is an installation guide for the OEM kit?

As above the majority of the stuff just clips on and off -most of it shocking but straight foward :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Dave.

The Toyota document site is magic - even tho' the kit I have is not from Toyota, there is a similar Toyota kit and the manual (free online) shows the diagrams for taking off the various panels. Really helpful.

The power required for the kit is max 600mA from the reverse light. Shouldn't be a problem?

Any idea how the reversing mirror is attached to the windscreen?

Ger

i only warn about the bumper because if you make a mistake it will look realy abd and wont be cheap to fix.

the mirror is attached by a metal to glass glue, you can get it from Halfords. not sure how to release it though

the mirror is attached by a metal to glass glue, you can get it from halfords. not sure how to release it though

To remove the mirror/glue use a hairdryer to heat up the glue for you to be able to remove it :thumbsup: !

Then use some dental floss to cut through the glue between the glass and the mirror :thumbsup: !

Steven, Dave, many thanks.

Your help and advice much appreciated. :yahoo:

Ger

As daft as it sounds, take the bumper off and have a look to see if there is any marking/raised edges there.

When I had my MG ZS, it didnt have front fogs, but I put them in. When I took the bumper off, it had the raised edges which I just cut round and they fitted perfectly.

HTH

Thanks for suggestion but it's unlikely.

The Toyota web site (see above) gives detailed instructions for installation of the approved Toyota reversing kit. There is no mention of any guidance markings. Just precise measurements of where to drill the holes on the bumper. They do say to remove the bumper before drilling!! I'll keep a lookout just in case :)

Ger

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links