Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

General Audio Questions

finallyanameicanuse

How do!

Right, I've got some Qs about audio. I need to basically need to redo the whole thing n dont really know where to start!

New headunit is needed as what I've got at the mo is naff n the missus needs one.... I've pretty much decided on either a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP or a Clarion DXZ668RPM, but any comments would be appreciated!

Also need to replace the Speakers as some have blown... Am i right that the sizes are 4cm dash and 10cm door? Also need something coming from the back, a sub isnt an option as the wifes due to drop sprog so need the space, so 6x9s in a stealth shelf?

Now for the proper questions....

1) was thinkin of using Focal Speakers as i've only heard good stuff bout them, is that right? anyone know of any drawbacks with them?

2) will i need an amp? if so what do i need to be looking for as i've no idea!

3) should i replace the wiring? or does it not matter?

4) now this is the important one.... anyone fancy giving me some pointers/a lift fitting it all when I get it??

Budget - Obviously with the headunits I've put I'm looking at about £150 - £200.

- Speakers etc, dunno really, not toooo much, say £300 all told?

Sorry for the length!!

How do!

Right, I've got some Qs about audio. I need to basically need to redo the whole thing n dont really know where to start!

New headunit is needed as what I've got at the mo is naff n the missus needs one.... I've pretty much decided on either a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP or a Clarion DXZ668RPM, but any comments would be appreciated!

Also need to replace the speakers as some have blown... Am i right that the sizes are 4cm dash and 10cm door? Also need something coming from the back, a sub isnt an option as the wifes due to drop sprog so need the space, so 6x9s in a stealth shelf?

Hi can't answer all your questions but just fitted Xplod 10 cm to Yaris dash instead of the pioneer paper ones. They really make a start on upgrading and fit a treat into the dash hole. :thumbsup:

post-32954-1162223439_thumb.jpg

Dash are 10cm and door 17cm. Thats about 4" and 6.5". For the doors you really need an adapter, not only to make them fit nicely but also to space them as uprated Speakers are usually deeper. I have Pioneer E-motions in the doors and even them with the spacers still catch the window as it goes down so need to space them a little more! Definately need some sort of bass speaker as it helps the other Speakers sound better by taking the bass away from them! I would say a set of 6*9s would do you for bass tbh. I personally would have the set up with the uprated dash and doors off the headunits four outputs and then the rear 6*9s amped and set up to take the lower frequencies. For the back do you want an all round sound or just something? If you just want bass you could get a nice set of 6*9 subwoofers. If you are after a bit more balance you would go for coaxial 6*9s. You could even consider a set up of doors, dash, amped 6*9 coaxials n an under seat sub? That would be a very nice set up and you could probably get that all within your budget!

With the HU, i would personally always go with pioneer as i like the set out on their HU and also the control over frequency distribution on even the basic models :D I have fitted 3 of them to 3 of the 4 cars in my household :P From base models up to below your price range still and all very good bits of kit! I personally have the DEH-30MP and does basically everything you could want :)

Any more q's just ask!

Budget wise was that £150-200 for HU plus £300 more for all the Speakers? or £300 for all of it? If £300 for all of it i would reccomend spending £150 on the HU then saving the rest for speakers and maybe looking a bit on eBay so you can get more for your money!

I've got a parcel shelf with 6x9's on it for sale if you're interested?

Link in my signature! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick replies!

Re the budget, ye, I'm probably lookin at bout £150ish for the HU n around £200 for Speakers, amp and wiring if needed. I know I said £300, but that is absolute max with other things in life making way....

So I go for 6*9s (either coaxial or subwoofers) n amp them, what do i need to be looking for in both camps? I know that with Speakers I need to look at the RMS output, but other than that I aint got a clue... and with amps, I've never dealt with them before so don't know where to start!

Thanks again!

Right well i would say coaxial 6*9s with front Speakers uprated should be enough if your not a bass freak :P If you go for say an amp with 2*50W rms that should be fine when matched with a set of standard 6*9s and should give a decent set up? then just uprate those fronts and a HU and you'll have a nice set up! We need to know more about whether you like your music loud? Love your bass? Or just want a good quality system?

Just want a reasonable quality system really. not ubikd bout it bein really loud or bassy as im not into tub thumpin dance or owt like that! listen to guitar based stuff from acoustica through to punk.

Ok, gonna go n look at some stuff tonight now iv got an idea n ill update you all tomorrow! So (in my best Texan drawl), "yall come back now yhear!"

Ryan's 6x9's would be a good buy with some decent 17cm components upfront, that will set you back your £150 for Speakers! then just spend £150 on HU!

Hmmm i'd kinda agree with that above but i would say upgrade them all as some 10cm can be bought for around £20 if you shop around that would be good enough. That way you wont end up blowing them when you turn the volume up to levels the rest of the system can handle! Components can be more hassle and you really want the tweeters mounted about the same distance from you as the door Speakers so somewhere in the footwells and this can be a bit of hassle. For this reason i would say coaxials as they are also cheaper. That way you can afford 17cm n 10cm coaxials n some amped 6*9s if u spend ure pennies wisely!

Ok, update time. Only went to look yesterday, but ended up buyin...

Got what I think is a decent deal, but we'll see.

They had a sale on on some Lanzar stuff as it was end of line, I'd heard good things bout them so I got talked into gettin them! So I ended up with :

VX430 - 10cms, 75W RMS

VX630 - 17cms, 90W RMS

VX694 - 6*9s, 200W RMS

They did me a good deal on Headunits wile I was gettin it all together so ended upgrading to a Pioneer P55 and payin only a smidge more than I was lookin at for the P6800! The lot cost me just under £300, which was within my budget and better Speakers than I was expectin.

Didnt get an amp as I decided to try runnin the 6*9s off the HU n see how it sounds, if it needs more then I'll look at gettin one.

So now I just need to sort out fittin them, runnin the cable for 6*9s and knock up a stealth shelf! Should be fun...

Just one more question, Can I run my MP3 player into the Aux in on the HU straight from the headphone socket on my MP3? or does it need to have a proper(?) output?

Thanks again and all comments on setup welcome!

"UNDER SEAT SUB"...sounds exactly what I want....I've just bought a HU and looking to add a little bass to my lil Yaris TS....i'm interested in the under seat sub that Woody27 mentioned...

Only looking at 8" or 10" how would I go about putting it in Woody? also any information on how to dismantle my dashbboard to remove the factory HU i.e where are the screws and where to pull etc...

I have a 55 plate P2 yaris TS. Any links to previous discussions about changing head units would be very much appreciated and any comments would definitely be appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Ed

This is the guide I used for my HU - http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=20&t=21168.

Bob on as far as I could tell! I had a quick look at an under seat sub, was an Alpine one. Didnt look to hard tho as was more than I wanted to spend on just that (£130). That was from Car Audio Centre.

Yeah there are quite a few under seat subs about but alpine make one of the most popular ones. If you look around you could probably get it for about £100. It's supposed to produce very clean and clear bass but is not that powerful. I heard someone reccomend them for a good stereo set up. They are just set up like any other active sub so RCA's from pre-outs in your new HU to the sub for the music to travel along and then just a live from the Battery, a good earth and a "remote" wire which runs from the HU to the sub to tell it to switch on when you put the stereo on.

Hope that helps!

finallyanameicanuse so how does the set up sound?

Under seat subs give you a bit more bass but there is no punch there so it depends what you want from your subwoofer!

Only got the HU & dash Speakers in yet as I'm waitin on the door adaptors comin before I do them and need to knock up a stealth shelf before I do the 6*9s. But tbh it sounds so much better just for puttin them in!

Havin trouble puttin the MP3 player through the aux socket tho as it doesnt want to recognise it, n the builtin bluetooth doesnt want to 'see' my phone (Samsung D500). Other than that its all goin well!

Explain the troubles with the aux input? If it is plugged in it's simple a matter of pressing source until AUX appears and will play. It may be the problem aux is not switched on? For mine (also pioneer) you have to turn the HU off, and then switch back on by holding onto the power button/source (same button) until it shows a menu. You then keep pressing Func. until you get to Aux input:off which you toggle to on :) Hope that's of some help!

Hmmm.....I just bought the Pioneer 6800 thinking that I can plug my ipod in thru the Aux in but it looks like i have to cash out for the cable........now I dunno whether to get the ipod adapter for £50 or just the bog standard aux in that takes anything for £20......maybe hint it to someone to get it for me this xmas hehe

About the Under Seat Sub, I remember my uncle having one but I don't remember it giving much 'punch' as Yaris SR kid said.....but it saves so much space! looks like I'm gonna have to fork out 140 ish for some bass.....pricey?

Pioneer:

TS-WX206A (compact in boot £135) and the TS-WX11XA (under seat £120)

Alpine:

SWD-1600 (under seat £100)

@ the moment I'm more interested in the pioneer 206 cos it'll give more punch but it takes up my already little boot space.......has anyone got the pioneer WX11A? If that gives good clean bass that I can feel then it would be perfect.

Woody you may just be a God! Didnt know you had to turn it on, so thought you just went through the sources until you got to it. Ah well, I've got to take it apart again anyway as I forgot to plug in the aerial... :censor:

If your getting a small sub like a underseat one, you should definally make sure it goes under the seat as since its not producing loads off bass you want it as near as possible, were as a less compact one produces loads and just shakes car about lol

So anyway i would definally go for alpine underseat one!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links