Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Safety Recall

duncanda

oh dear . i am getting worried now. i own a 05 plate 1.8 t3x,but have so far hed no letter form toyota or dvla about this recall.

is this a case of no news is good news or should i contact my local centre for advice?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duncanda

• Steve84

• mickey.j

• uumode

I've written to the Dealer Principal at my dealer asking why other Toyota customers have received the goodwill gesture. I'll let you know what the answer is.

oh dear . i am getting worried now. i own a 05 plate 1.8 t3x,but have so far hed no letter form toyota or dvla about this recall.

is this a case of no news is good news or should i contact my local centre for advice?

Check out my previous posting in this thread about the VOSA web site. Your VIN number should tell you if you're affected.

I've written to the Dealer Principal at my dealer asking why other Toyota customers have received the goodwill gesture. I'll let you know what the answer is.

Check out my previous posting in this thread about the VOSA web site. Your VIN number should tell you if you're affected.

cheers have cheecked on the vosa link and my vin no is in the middle of the midels affected,so its on the phone to mr t in the morning .

many thanks .

JOB DONE bottle of champs and fuel and a wash

good dealership

NAME AND SHAME THE BAD ONES

Got a call from the service manager, apologising profusely. He can't explain why I wasn't given the Toyota package. So he's going to give my car a full valet, bottle of champs and £20 worth of petrol.

Got a call from the service manager, apologising profusely. He can't explain why I wasn't given the Toyota package. So he's going to give my car a full valet, bottle of champs and £20 worth of petrol.

Well worth complaining. :thumbsup:

Got me a letter this morning to. After asking dealer if my car was effcted a few months ago was told no it fine. If its fine why have i got a recall call then. Well done toyota GB not so well Done william a lewis shrewsbury. Hence reason i've booked in with william a lewis telford let them fellas sort the job.

Got me a letter this morning to. After asking dealer if my car was effcted a few months ago was told no it fine. If its fine why have i got a recall call then. Well done toyota GB not so well Done william a lewis shrewsbury. Hence reason i've booked in with william a lewis telford let them fellas sort the job.

My brother in law went to William A Lewis, Telford and all he got was a bottle of wine....If I was you I would stick out for the champers, £10 petrol and valet.

I was told by the service manager of my dealer that this was a Toyota GB good-will gesture; bottle of champers, £10 petrol and a valet. The champers even has a piece of paper hanging on the neck saying "Your co-operation and understanding are greatly appreciated. With our compliments, Toyota (GB) PLC". Maybe they're keeping the champers for their Christmas party and have given your brother-in-law a bottle of plonk. Complain and print off this thread to show the dealer.

Got mine booked in for next Friday,

had my car in at the dealers two weeks ago, but they didn't pick anything up about the recall.

The Avensis has had a few steering problems according to the VOSA site.

I have just bought an 03 Toyota from a Toyota dealership, Is it safe to assume that all the relevant recalls/fixes have been applied?

Many thanks!

should have a stamp on a toyota paper showing job been carried out

I have been told thousands of steering racks need the mods and toyota japan have said just change them.

toyota japan do not want a car crash and the rack to be a factor !!!!!!!!!

toyota recall are issuing the recall notices in blocks

so as the dealerships are not full with rack jobs ie warranty work is paid at £20 an hour !!!!!!!

happy xmas everyone

BUT i have to work !!!!!!!!!

how do we now if re call ?????

Toyota GB will send you out a regestered letter.

You can always get in touch with your local dealer too.

I took my Avensis back to my local dealer (from where I bought it 'used' in the summer) today to have them look at some faulty struts on the hatchback. While I was there they asked me if I'd received the recall.

I said no but I'd noticed the global recall just after I bought it, rang Toyota and was told I wasn't affected.

Now it appears I am and if I hadn't gone into a Toyota garage I'd never have known about this recall.

It seems that I was supposed to fill out a card for a change of ownership and send it off. So sheepish looks

from the receptionist at my garage when she explained that something as simple as them keeping track of

the vehicle or passing the information to Toyota isn't done as a matter of routine.

I'm now booked in for the recall work and my struts replaced under warranty, so it's not been a bad day.

Hi AvensisHG2. Your faulty struts wouldn't by any chance cause the hatch to be very stiff to open and close? During the very hot weather we had this past summer, mine showed this fault. The dealer told me to drop it by when the fault occured, but off course it never reappeared once I told the dealer!!

Hi AvensisHG2. Your faulty struts wouldn't by any chance cause the hatch to be very stiff to open and close? During the very hot weather we had this past summer, mine showed this fault. The dealer told me to drop it by when the fault occured, but off course it never reappeared once I told the dealer!!

Yes, it stiffened up. I didn't think too much of the stiffening up as it happened almost as soon as I bought the car (June) but a couple of months later when it started to 'groan' from one of the struts I decided it was going back to Mr T. I only really had it 'groan' the first time it opened each day and I only detected it coming from the right hand side, but the dealership took a look and without hesitation booked me in for the replacement of both struts. They were the ones who brought up the stiffening and said it was a problem.

Well had my car done at Basingstoke and they didn't offer the champagne and £10 petrol until I asked / prompted for it. No car wash though, couldn't hang around for that omission.

Also now my steering has a knocking / rattling noise when driving very slowly around carparks.

The steering also makes a knock to knock noise when car is stationary when I turn the wheel quickly left, right, left right 'knock,knock - knock,knock' as it were hitting some stops of some sort.

I'm sure it didn't do this previously and certainly didn't have the rattling noise :angry::angry:

the flicking of the steering wheel left to right and then to left and to right again (not full lock, only partial movement) 'stop to stop' knocking noise isn't evident now (maybe it's bedded down or something?), but when I go over a particular bump when deaccelerating there appears to be a knock from the steering column area.

- shall monitor it carefully.

Brakes are squealing much louder now after the recall :wacko:

Probably try to get the brakes sorted at Bracknell now, instead of going via Basingstoke or Reading.

- should have gone Bracknell in the first place but it's a bit out of my way.

I had mine done at william a lewis telford on wednesday, got nothing at all of them, they never stamped the recall letter till i asked them to. Very poor service indeed. I had a rattle on my steering uumode just has you say you have, but mine was before i had the replacement got it back and rattle has gone.

Took the car back to get the rattles/knocking sorted, and very luckily this dealer had a small strip of cobbled paving to the entrance to their service car park which easily invokes the rattle/knocking. Otherwise the technicians would have had a tough time trying to reproduce the problem as it only happens on 'particular' rutted roads, and speed humps.

Got the car back and it's back to how it was before the recall repair :toast:

JOB DONE bottle of champs and fuel and a wash

good dealership

NAME AND SHAME THE BAD ONES

I had my recall work done the other day. The car had been jetwashed afterwards, but no indication of anything more from the dealership. I left saying nothing.

I double checked this thread and today I called their service manager. Oddly enough, he apologised for the staff not providing me with the champagne on the day, but said it will be waiting for me when I pop in tomorrow.

All's well that ends well. Thanks guys for the prompt. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my letter for my 04 1.8 T4.

Booked in for next Thursday.

• 1 month later...

As we are in Germany with the forces I was a bit worried I hadnt had a recall letter, so I took my car to the local German toyota dealer, they looked at my VIn/chassis number and looked on their database, next thing I knew my car was in getting 'fixed', no champers :blink: but a full valet!!, apparently you dont need a letter, as all the relevant details of the cars to be 'fixed' are on the toyota database!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links