Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please

mikc67

Put my Toyota Corolla(aug 1997) in for timing belt change 83000 miles, a bit late I know but I got it done at a reputable garage who used genuine Toyota parts.(They did not change the Tensioners) :help:

1200 miles later the timing belt Tensioner spring breaks shredding the timing belt, doing 50 mph at time. Don't yet know if engine valves are damaged. :ffs:

I was under the impression that these associated Tensioners and Springs should have been Inspected and/or changed at time. I believe that garage is responsible to make good any damage, even if engine valves are damaged. can anyone advise please.

:(

I was under the impression that these associated Tensioners and Springs should have been Inspected and/or changed at time. I believe that garage is responsible to make good any damage, even if engine valves are damaged. can anyone advise please.

:(

I think the problem you'll have is that you told the garage to change the cambelt and they did just that. The work they carried out wasn't faulty, just a case of you didn't get what you thought you were going to. Whenever I'm getting a cambelt changed I always check if the price they've quoted includes changing the tensioner and idlers, its worth getting them done as a matter of course. I agree it would have been good practice to at least let you know if the tensioner was worn, but I don't think it was negligent.

Cheers chaps

The problem I've got is that Toyota don't seem to recommend that the Tensioners are changed at the same time as the timing belt, but checking the manual they do specify that the Tensioners should be Inspected. As an Engineer myself, the word Inspect means that you should predict that the part being Inspected will last the required life before failing. otherwise you would expect Toyotta to specifically inform you to change the tensioners at the same time you change the belt, otherwise whats the point, as it turns out the tensioners are just as critical as the Timing belt.

By the manual informing the technician to Inspect the tensioners, then my reckoning is that the trust is put in the hands of the garage to make a professional determination as to the serviceability of the tensioners and if doubt exsists, then to change them out. I feel that there has been an error of judgement in this case. For the record I only asked for the Timing belt to be replaced.

I'm an Aircraft Engineer, an say for example I change a wheel, our aircraft manuals specifically state to inspect the axle. If i fitted a wheel to an axle which was cracked and the wheel fell off, then I can assure you in a court of law, my ***** would be out the window.

Would still appreciate further input to this situation.

I've agreed with the garage at this point to pay for the parts to reinstate the timing belt and they will provide the labour free, there is a chance that the valves aren't damaged as I've been lucky before with a different car, but if the valves are damaged then it's a different ball game. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say timing belt and cams now changed. Luckily no engine damage. Compression check was okay. Thanks to the guys who took time to advise. :toast:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links