Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another New Owner

Chris81

Hello!

I've recently bought a Yaris T-Sport and have just discovered this site. It's a 55 reg, in black, with delivery miles on it - must have been pre-registered last year and sitting around different forecourts since then. I've put a couple of hundred miles on it since getting it and came across this site because of searching the net for guidance about it.

Firstly, it suffers from the rear brake noise which I've read about on here from other posts. It's like a scraping noise, most noticable when coming to a halt. What with it being so new, I took it back to Toyota, who road tested it and had it up on the ramps. Their opinion was that it's just normal to sound like that - they said the discs weren't being scored and that there was no brake judder so they didn't see it as a problem. They also mentioned the lack of sound proofing around the rear arches which wouldn't help the noise in the cabin. They said that they could change the discs and pads and it would still sound like that!! So, I'm going to see how it goes - I'm hoping it may lessen after I put more miles on it and perhaps they bed in. Or perhaps it is just a charateristic of the rear discs?!?! Is everyone's the same?

Another quick question - I've been through the owners manual in detail and it refers to a P/S warning light that should illuminate on the dash on startup, along with all the other lights (abs, airbags etc). However, mine doesn't have this P/S light! Please could anyone else on here with a P2 T-Sport have a look and see if theirs does.

Otherwise......it's a really nice car and I'm looking forward to when it's properly run in and I can see what it's capable of.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

My rear brakes don't sound like that but my car has done around 52k miles. Don't know about the dash light either as I've only got a phase 1! :)

When I start my car up I have a p/s red light which comes in for about 3/4 seconds then goes out. Could just be your bulb has blown. Prob too much hassle to change it just live without it. If your p/s fails ull know about it.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Sounds like your brakes make exactly the same noise as mine, and quite a few others on here. I'm beginning to think that it's "normal" on the T-sport.

Thanks for the replies. Burnie1000 please could you tell me whereabouts on the dash the P/S light is located. The thing is, I believe that light is for electric power steering only, but I'm sure my t-sport has the hydraulic system as there's a reservoir for power steering fluid under the bonnet. I thought a car either had one or the other?! Burnie1000 do you have the power steering fluid reservoir too? Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm confused.

Can other P2 T-Sport owners please check this too.

Can't help with any problems as I've got a p1 1.0 which had been worn in when I bought it but welcome to the club

Right just to clarify sorry I was being a bit retarded I thought that I did have a p/s light but i dont so checked the manual today.

Previously I was informed by Ryan1985 that Yaris TS Phase 1's have hydraulic steering and the Phase 2's have electric.

Checked my car today Phase 2 TS and it has hydraulic power steeing therefore no need for a p/s warning light :D

The hyrdraulic power steering resovoir is located at the back left of the engine bay below the brake master cylinder. :thumbsup:

I dont know if all Phase 2's should have hydraulic or not, interesting point to find out. Maybe mine is hydraulic because it was a late 03 and therefore the majority of 03's were Phase 1's with hydraulic p/s I dont no.

Sorry for the confusion hope this helps ;)

BTW get some mods :yes: esp an Apexi Induc kit I love mines :D

My dads Yaris Blue (phase 2) has electric power steering but I'm not sure if my bros T-Sport does. Mine's got hydraulic power steering though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys. My 2005 phase 2 definitely has the power steering fluid reservoir. And the manual says that the P/S warning light is for electric power steering only. Therefore, I assume it's right for me not to have the warning light on the dash! It would have been nice for Toyota to mention this in the manual but the t-sport never even gets a mention.

So, my late phase 2 has hydraulic, burnie1000's early phase 2 has hydraulic, and Ryan1985's dad's phase 2 has electric steering. How strange!

As Burnie1000 says, it would be an interesting point to find out what the story is!

and Ryan1985's dad's phase 2 has electric steering.

But that's a Yaris Blue so it's maybe just the 'lesser' models that have electric power steering because they might not be into wheel feedback and stuff? :thumbsup:

Sorry I mis-read your earlier post, i thought it was a blue Yaris t-sport rather than a Yaris Blue :lol: It all makes sense now then - all t-sports must have hydraulic power steering whether they are P1 or P2 whereas the P2 1.0s and 1.3s were given electric power steering. Ryan you'll be right that the t-sports keep the hydraulic system because its much better weighted than electric which has no feel at all! So no P/S warning light on the dash of any t-sports. Sorted! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links