Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running 18" Alloys On A Rev3 Turbo Mr2

Rash@R.A.Motors

Just wondering if anyone had fitted 18" alloys onto an mr2 - may be getting some and thinking of putting them onto either one of my Rev3 Turbo MR2's - both have stock suspension...

Shall I or not..? will it affect the ride much or not..?

Cheers

Rash

To be honest, I'm running 18's on the rear of mine (17's on the front) and they fit/look fine.

With regards to handling, I put the stock set of 15's back on a while back when getting tyres changed on the 18's and I can say that the difference in handling is over-exaggerated.

I thought that handling would be ruined until I stuck the stock 15's back on.

Yes, the weight is further out towards the outside of the wheel and therefore affecting inertia... which must have an affect on acceleration and braking... albeit minor and not noticable in a healthy turbo'd MR2.

I have a stretch of road where I can accelerate and know what speed I'm doing at certain points. It was the same for the 15's as it was for the 18's. I actually found the 15's a more skitty (word?!) too than the 18's.

As far as handling is concerned, the higher profile rubber on wheels smaller than 17's has more give and absorbs the majority of bumps. You'll probably find it's the width of the wheel and relative side wall that affects handling the most between a 15 and 18" wheel.

Yes, the 18's tramline a bit more, yes the ride is harsher, and turning isn't as sharp, but don't write them off completely. They won't ruin the car as much as is made out. Bear in mind that I'm quoting the turning isn't as sharp and that's for 17's on the front, not 18's.

I do have the Bilstein Sportline springs on mine (-40mm) though.

If you're a track day hero, then I would say no.

The purist won't put anything more than a 16" rim on an MR2.

The true purist won't put anything more than a 15" rim on an MR2.

The hardcore purist will retro fit the Rev1 14" rims on a Rev3 turbo!

the 14s wont fit on a rev3 the brakes are too big, to be honest i did enjoy my 16s a lot more than i am on my 17s, i want to get some decent 16s but the problem is tyres, i would ideally want a 16x8 rear with at least 235s

but a lot of companies are !Removed! and they dont make 16x8s (not enough market for them?)

Yeah... was actually joking about the Rev1 wheels... ;)

16 x 7.5 should take them OK.

Hi Chaps.

On strong suspension you will notice very little difference on 18s, rev 1 are not good on 18s, rev 2 and 3 are ok, the best wheels for handling by far are 16s.

Cheers

James

3S

thats what i like to hear :D but the thing is.... i cant find anywhere that does some 16x8s!!!! !Removed! !Removed! !Removed! mo fos!!!

16x7 and 16x8 rears!! :(

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple of pics of my Rev 5 with 18's on. i didn't notice much in handling or comfort....and i'm running standard suspension.

Rev 5

wheel dimensions: 18x7.5 all around

tyre dimensions:

215/35/18 front

225/35/18 rear

long tiem since i posted here!! hi again everyone :)

man... you really are trying to catch up with past posts.. :lol:

yikes, didn't check the date on that one, it was just on the 2nd page on the forums, used to be alot more activity here then this when i was last here!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links