Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Pricing Petition

AMH

Given that most roads are just about gridlocked from morning to night, something has to be done. When I was a lad , few people had cars. Now it seems that just about everyone has one and some families have more than one. Of course in those days, most people worked closer to home and not in greenfield call centres with no or poor public transport. In Newcastle there was an excellent integrated transport system -the buses dropped passengers at Metro stations-but following deregulation, they now continue into Newcastle and choke up the approach roads. Leeds has no trains heading due North so the three major north/south roads are choked with cars.

Of course we all want to use OUR car -but I really think something has to be done to get cars off the roads and if anyone can think of something other than pricing, then what is it?

Given that most roads are just about gridlocked from morning to night, something has to be done. When I was a lad , few people had cars. Now it seems that just about everyone has one and some families have more than one. Of course in those days, most people worked closer to home and not in greenfield call centres with no or poor public transport. In Newcastle there was an excellent integrated transport system -the buses dropped passengers at Metro stations-but following deregulation, they now continue into Newcastle and choke up the approach roads. Leeds has no trains heading due North so the three major north/south roads are choked with cars.

Of course we all want to use OUR car -but I really think something has to be done to get cars off the roads and if anyone can think of something other than pricing, then what is it?

Well something does have to be done but this won't do it. The Government makes far too much revenue from cars to try and drive people off the road. This is just a way of squeezing a bit more money because as you say we all want our car and we will forgo a bit more tax before going without it - and they know it.

They don't want an integrated transport system that much. They are talking of closing rural railways not developing them.

Don't get me started on this crock!

Agree something needs doing but not this - why invest in all new technology that will cost US a fortune, if it works at all.

One option could be to drop tax discs and add revenue charges to fuel price - this way big cars and high mileage users would pay more and low users less - and the tax dodging scrotes could not dodge it ... and we would gain from foreign traffic (we have to pay their tolls after all) - all using the existing tax collection process already in use ...

Admitedly that is a bit simplistic as it means all roads would be paying same charge and Government would not be able to control specific road use / costs and I am sure all petrol lawn mower users etc would be up in arms :D

Just my opinion - don't shoot me ... B)

Agree something needs doing but not this - why invest in all new technology that will cost US a fortune, if it works at all.

One option could be to drop tax discs and add revenue charges to fuel price - this way big cars and high mileage users would pay more and low users less - and the tax dodging scrotes could not dodge it ... and we would gain from foreign traffic (we have to pay their tolls after all) - all using the existing tax collection process already in use ...

Admitedly that is a bit simplistic as it means all roads would be paying same charge and Government would not be able to control specific road use / costs and I am sure all petrol lawn mower users etc would be up in arms :D

Just my opinion - don't shoot me ... B)

That is the very best option and why they do not do it is just beyond me. The Chelsea tractors (V8's) would levy their own charge for excessive emmisions and the weight of the car and crazy biggots could not contemplate doing it on a regional basis. I have never seen a royal Smart car after all. As you say, small fuel efficient cars would pay less and anyone who has a "toy" for the summer will only pay when they use it.

There is no way the thieving scratters would be able to adversley effect our charges by not paying.

Must be too hard for the government to grasp. :censor:

I would even pay a loaded charge instead of a sensible average if they used the extra to provide a good public transport system that we could use as an alternative to queueing in the rush hour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links