Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Celica To Get - Gen6 Or Gen7 (on A Budget!)

DaShowstoppa

As most of you know, I'm champing at the bit to get myself a Celica in the next year, however I'm looking for a 1.8 litre Celica between 1998/9 - 2002 as I'm a bit restricted in terms of money (prob about 6K)

I'm running a 98 (S) Corolla with 77.8K - So obviously I don't want a significantly older car, but in terms of all the various factors (Price,age,reliability,insurance etc), which Celica do you think I should be gunning for?

In terms of looks I've always liked the gen6, however I fell in love with the 2002 gen7 so either's an option.

I'd appreciate your input and help.

Many thanks

Mike

6k would buy you a nice G7 140, but be very carefull as they have a problem with the engine or 6k would buy you one of the last g6's.

The choice is yours ;)

Take both out for a test drive.

6k would buy you a nice G7 140, but be very carefull as they have a problem with the engine or 6k would buy you one of the last g6's.

The choice is yours ;)

Thanks, I'm intending to test ones I want to buy a few months down the line. What is the engine problem you mentioned with the G7 140?

Mike

The choice is yours ;)

Thanks, I'm intending to test ones I want to buy a few months down the line. What is the engine problem you mentioned with the G7 140?

Mike

The problem is that it's a Gen 7 :lol: Only kidding. :thumbsup:

only gen7's at 6k i've seen have been dogs.

Save up a bit more bud and get a good un' ;) will be worth it in the long run .

Mike

Piston rings.

As I discovered to my cost. Still all is well now

or buy my GT4... :P

Well, she is a beautiful motor - Damn I wish I had the money right now!! :D

But unfortunately it will be several months before I can even consider the loan - and I want to have saved a bit too.

Giddlepin: That is a niiice car :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

only gen7's at 6k i've seen have been dogs.

Save up a bit more bud and get a good un' ;) will be worth it in the long run .

I disagree, i think 6k to 6.5k should buy you a nice 140 premium pack one. You will just have to wait until the right one comes up.

My 140 (premium/Dynamic) had 65k on the clock, full ftsh, extended warranty since 3 years old and would of been worth around 6.5k six months ago, but it got wrote off and I managed to get a bit more through the insurance company :)

If I was you I would test drive the 140 and then the 190. They are two very different cars. The 140 is more a cruiser and 190 just wont's the nuts reved off it, but its fun. sometimes i wished I had the 140 still as the was more easier to live with day in day out. OK BUT LIFT IS FUN :D

The 190 comes with all the toys as standard (Climate, leather, alloy pedals). The 140 as standard comes with manual air conditioning, cloth seats.

The 140 packs are as follows

Premium: leather seats (plastic rears), climate, sun roof.

Sports: 17" alloys, rear spoiler

Dynamic: Sports pack + side skirts and front lip

The 190 packs

Sports or Dynamic

Things to look out for: rattling/squeek from aux belt/tensioner (very common), Tail gate struts no longer hold up tailgate, heat shields rattling, gear box whine when coming down through the box, bucked/corroded alloys and a few others

140 problems engine going bang due to no oil due to pistons going oval, expensive fix

190 problems lift bolt should be changed as a procaution as they wear or break, cheap and easy to do if the are not broken

I hope I have helped and not put you off :lol:

ps please correct anything that I have got wrong :lol:

get a G7 :yahoo: I am on my second

Thanks Discodave, I appreciate all the info I can get! I know it's a little while off actually shopping for the car yet - but I'm enjoying all the research into it!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to reply to my own post but it was either this or start yet another thread in the saga;

Maybe, just maybe - the time for me to own a Celica will come a bit sooner than I origionally intended. I am examining the possibility of consolidating my overdraft into a personal loan (but also going for a bigger loan, rather than get a new one for the celica a few months down the line). If all goes well (and I have to research a bit) then I may be in a position to buy one in a few months :)

I also have my Corolla 1.3 (s) to sell/exchange - so that will knock about £1.5K off too. Meaning a smaller loan may just do the trick.

I think it's more than likely that I will buy the Gen7 2000-2 range, unless an especially good gen6 99 model comes up (as I want a car a couple of years younger than the Corolla)

There's alot of planning and conjuring to be done, but if all goes well then this will more than likely be the plan I go with.

Mike

Get a late (98/99) UK Gen 6 GT or a gen6 GT4 ST205 WRC. Approx 4k well spent :thumbsup:

Got nothing against the gen7...but compared to the Gen6 its a bit camp :lol: ;)

Paid £6900 for this one and it's a 190 :thumbsup:

Urm... how? High Miler or a rushed sale for someone?

Reasonably high mileage but it only had a couple of weeks MOT left on it, cost a fortune to get through though (£40 I think the charge is now ;) ).

I got other things done that weren’t needed to pass the test.

Wheel & tyre package (alloys were bubbled)(£610)

Service (not needed but for peace of mind) (£120)

Rear discs & pads (about £120)

The only other item since is the oxy sensor which I did myself, otherwise I still think it was a bargain and there are still loads of good deals out there

Les

Get a late (98/99) UK Gen 6 GT or a gen6 GT4 ST205 WRC. Approx 4k well spent :thumbsup:

Got nothing against the gen7...but compared to the Gen6 its a bit camp :lol: ;)

As a matter of fact I was looking at a gen6 today (97 - 88K) I think my budget will be about 4-5K now so it's more than likely I'll go for a gen6.

Have to wait till at least March (pay review) because I can't afford loan repayments at the moment, plus I need to have my corolla properly valued too.

So just gonna have to slow down a bit :)

Still a Corolla ain't a bad way to spend a couple more months!

Mike

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links