Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I Replace My 175/65x14 Tyres With 185/60s?

alfiejts

I've a standard 1.0 CDX Yaris from 2000, fitted with 175/65 x 14 tyres on the standard CDX alloy wheels.

I'm about to replace all four tyres and I've noticed that I can get 185/60 x 14 tyres for the same price (in fact £1 each cheaper) than the 175s.

Diameter wise, the 185/60s will be the same as the 175/65s, so the gearing & speedo will be the same.

I wondered if anyone knows if 185 width tyres will be OK on the standard wheels (whatever width they are) and whether anyone else has 185s fitted to advise whether they foul any part of the suspension, steering or wheel arch?

Any feedback gratefully received....

I thought my wife's little Yaris looked OK on its 14" alloys, until my A3 arrived with 225/40 profile tyres on 18" rims! Now that's what you call real rubber! :-)

Yes, you can fit them with no probs.

As you read the forum you can see that some of us have even 205 (I have 195/50R15 and I have no problems with suspension/arch/steering)

The only problem you will get if you fit 185/60R14 is that the speedometer will have an error of 1mph at the actual speed of 100 indicated by the 175/65. So the 185/60 will indicate 101 mph. Also the total mileage recorded will be 100 miles more at every 10000 miles. Not big deal, is coming from the difference of the total wheel height, 185/60 being 0.22" smaller.

From my point of view, take the 185/60R14 (I have an error of -0.28" on mine and I'm not bothered :P )

Hope this helps.

Very knowledgeable to no that!

I have been on tyre size guide and i can get 205/45R15 or 205/50R15 on my SR alloys which have stock 195/50R15.

Think i will keep same size tho as it saves hassle if i have a problem!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links