Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electrical Problems - 20v

Escy

I've got an AE101 Corolla Levin GT-Apex, it has the silvertop 20V engine in. I had some running issues (it wouldn't run!), the ECU check was showing ignition and water temperature faults, I couldn't work out the problem, so got it checked on a diagnostics machine.

Turns out it was 2 capacitors inside the ECU leaking. I had it professionally repaired. Now, after driving the car for a week (it's been fine) the ECU check light came on. It's the same two fault codes, ignition and water temp. At the moment, the car still drives alright and the light comes on and goes out, but I can feel it starting to get a little jerky. This is how it went the 1st time.

I've not examined the ECU yet, but i'm assuming it'll be the same 2 capacitors. What could cause this to be happening?

Cheers, Tom.

Most likely it will just be some bad solder from the repair, I would also check that there is no moisture in the ECU, if I remember rightly your ECU should me in the center column under the floor heater. So can build up moisture easily if not sealed properly.

If its not that then could be other issues in the ECU.

If we assume that its not the ECU then best bet is that some wires have melted with the problem with the ecu problem or some other issue and are not touching causing your problems. :yawn: etc etc etc

But not to bore on too much this one would be best handled by a 'good' auto sparky and not just one of these 'stereo fitters'

Try and find a guy that likes his toyota's or at lest jap cars.

:unsure:

I got it all checked out, the ECU thinks that the water temperature is -26c when it's actually warm.

All the wiring is fine, re-checked the ECU, everything seems fine. Only possible thing is a processor on the ECU, going to get a new one and see whats what.

Crappy car :(

I got it all checked out, the ECU thinks that the water temperature is -26c when it's actually warm.

All the wiring is fine, re-checked the ECU, everything seems fine. Only possible thing is a processor on the ECU, going to get a new one and see whats what.

well if you want to sell her ;) you'll have a buyer :D

Have you checked the water temperature sensor - it might need replacing.

It's about 2 months old. 1st thing I did. Also, the guy checked it and said it was working fine. If only it was that simple. I've got an ECU coming from Japan at the moment, hopefully it'll all be sorted and i'll fall back in love with it. :thumbsup:

It's about 2 months old. 1st thing I did. Also, the guy checked it and said it was working fine. If only it was that simple. I've got an ECU coming from Japan at the moment, hopefully it'll all be sorted and i'll fall back in love with it. :thumbsup:

if you dont then you can sell it to me !! :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nice car, i seen the advert on ebay a week or so back, also how do the toyos hold up? cheers

Thanks, I've decided to keep it now. :) The Toyo's are excellent, much better than my Yokohama's on the rear.

gdgd, i just order mine of mytyres.co.uk £33 each. glad to see you kepping it. i might get rid of mine next year but only for a bzr lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links