Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg....higher Octane Petrol

jc1978

Since swithcing to Tesco 99ron petty, I have noticed a reduction in MPG. I was led to believe that you should get better MPG with the more expensive and higer octane petrol? :blink:

Since swithcing to Tesco 99ron petty, I have noticed a reduction in MPG. I was led to believe that you should get better MPG with the more expensive and higer octane petrol? :blink:

The problem with higher octane fuel is it gives the car sharper throttle response and probably makes you drive it quicker. From my experience I used tesco 99 once to try it and my car didnt like it at all. The fuel economy went down dramatically and I had to put some forte fuel cleaner in the tank to get the economy back! Yes I know it sounds strange but its true. I also believe the 2zz engine is very sensitive to lots of things and does not like being messed around with, ie fitting a performance air filter, notice how the fuel economy goes wild until the ecu has adjusted. If you want to persist with the tesco stuff wait until you have filled a couple of times before you take too much notice of the economy. :thumbsup:

I have to agree the engine has to take a few miles to adjust, but in my opinion tesco petrol is pants. I use to put normal unleaded tesco petrol in my 1.2 clio and suffered with deadspots when accelerating, not good when your overtaking in a 1.2! Put in esso and it'd feel more responsive and smoother! So some additive in their petrol has a negative effect. So since then if its been an emergency that is the only time i'll use it.

As for mpg gains and lows! i wouldn't be suprised. I could get an extra 40 miles to a tank with esso over tesco! It also is the same with their diesel, my dads a driving instructor and finds tesco is poor in the mpg departement, so he uses asda and sainsburys!

Sainsburys have 97 super plus thats a few pence dearer than normal unleaded and that runs well in the CTS, not sure about mpg i've stopped looking over the past few months cause i'm currently emptying a tank (when light comes on) close to 250 miles which works out about 23-25! :lol:

I definitely noticed a difference when goin from unleaded to 97ron super i used to get around 30mpg now its around 27 and sometimes as low as 21 lol. Higher octane burns faster so in theory your not gonna get any better mpg from it

rolley, i think its in your mind. the base product fuel is the same wherever you fill up, the only difference is the detergent package which has no effect on the octane level (albeit it should clean your injectors some more)!

rolley, i think its in your mind. the base product fuel is the same wherever you fill up, the only difference is the detergent package which has no effect on the octane level (albeit it should clean your injectors some more)!

Overall I have found sainsburys 97 to be the best for performance for the money. I do notice a difference with v power in but its marginal, and at 85.9 for sainsburys versus 91.9 for v power the difference is not big enough. For the record I can get 330 miles from brimmed to the light coming on, computer reading 31.5 mpg on sainsburys 97! :yahoo:

Am currently running BP 'normal' unleaded and already am seeing a major rise in MPG! Computer is rewading 31.5mpg and fuel hasn't even touched 3/4 full and I've topped 100 miles! :)

Hi Guys,

In my experience you have to run the car on nothing but V-Power and you will only begin to feel the improved response after a good 2-3 tankfulls. You can't mix it with other fuels it gets dilluted and doesn't run as well.

I often drive the A9 from home to work and cover 250 miles in one go. I fill it full to the cap and drive the car as it was designed, giving it plenty red line action, and the trip shows my average is 33.1 mpg. The needle is sitting on top of the half tank marker when I get to work.

I feel the difference in the way the car picks up from low revs, pulls stronger, feels like there's more torque. I see the difference in fuel economy and am a convert :)

Snert

I have noticed that when using Tescos super I get 27ish MPG depending on whether I gun it, but if I use V-Power the MPG goes up considerably, 34-34MPG so it is worth the extra pence per litre!!

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links