Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5th Gear

Blue84

Hey All,

Was driving home from work on the usual dual carriageway & to say there were a few speeders in the right hand lane was an understatement! So, when I was overtaking I kept the Blue back in 4th gear to give extra pull & I realised I should do it more often :D .

Anyway, the reason for my post is, when on roads like a Dual Carriageway or a Motorway when (as in what speed) do you use 5th gear in a Yaris? I'm more referring to 1.0L & 1.3L engines here.

T

yup i do , as i know my car isnt that fast i tend just to cruise around 70 and keepit in 5th . Also because my zorst is nice and loud it keeps engine/exhaust noise a bit lower

I have always been taught to drop down a gear for overtaking, you just wont get past if you stay in 5th, unless its dual carriageway, in that instance I dont tend to bother, but single carriageways, when you have to get past quite quickly, I always drop down. Theres never really that need of pure desperation on a dual carriageway :lol:

I tend to hit 5th at about 45-50mph which is where I stick at, unless I go back below 40 but I've been known to tootle along at 30 in 5th.... by accident it has to be said :lol:

Thought this was a reminder that the tv show was on :P ;)

In my old yaris I always stuck to the highest gear, didn't really need to change down gear as I was never in that sort of situation ...... it helps to save fuel too (as you probably know :rolleyes: )

Overtaking was a bit of a pain on single roads hence one of the reasons for changing for something bigger :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I used to stay in 4th until I hit 70 when I was going on the motorway or a dual carriageway in my 1.0

Riiiight.... :unsure:

Of course my car pulls from much further down the rev range, but I had a rule of thumb of "never below 3.5k" for any type of overtaking manoeuvre in the 1.0.

If you need some overtaking practice you should maybe try the A9 on a Saturday morning in July!

A

Blue.. try dropping to 3rd.. it's even better :D

Just watch that redline :P

I will put it into 5th at 40mph..(if i'm just trundling along in traffic) but if i'm pulling onto a motorway/dual carraigeway, I will rev up to around 5000rpm before changing gear, this will get me up to the same speed and allow me to join the flow of traffic safely.

As for overtaking.. (yes my 1.0l is capeable).. dropping down to third gives a nice little punch of accel... well, more pow... errrr.. hmmm... well, it makes it go a wee bit faster than normal :lol:

When I want to overtake I usually use the engine to the maximum, meaning changing at 6000 revs. It's a bit lazy after 5200-5500, but it keeps the speed there. If you change it sooner you won't get the same speed in the same time.

But usually as Moffmo said, I rev it cos I like the sound. Try record it, listen again, and you'll see :)

snap 2nd/3rd for over taking depending on how slow the person infront is :@ lil grannys doin 30mph on a dual usually get the 2nd gear treatment so they get deaffened as i go past them :P but yeah 3rd is probs the best for over taking as it can pull from low 15 mph n redlines at like 92ish i think ........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links