Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is This Lift I Hear So Much About ?

mickey.j

hello t-sporters,

i currently own an 05 plate avensis 1.8 t3x. :( yes i know i am on the wrong forum page but bare with me. i am now at that stage in life when i need a bit of oomph .and the corola t-sport sounds like a whole lot of fun. performance without looking like a bmw driver if you know what i mean.

first though i have a few questions what is this `lift` which i hear so much about on the forum pages? it sounds like fun what ever it is. also will a t-sport still have a bit of comfort in the ride or is it going to be a rock hard ride ? what year were they last made ie 05 or 55.

oh and just to confuse myself even more would anyone recommend the compressor which seems like a lot of car for the money,i have seen 55 platers for £14.000 on mr.ts happy centres. but i am a little worried about its reliability its does feature quiet a lot in the forum pages,is the extra performance that much greater than a statnard t-sport.

happy motoring :thumbsup:

unless you own a t-sport then you don't need to know what the lift is. it's a private club.

they stopped being available at the end of december 2005. it's only the compressors you can buy new now.

hello t-sporters,

i currently own an 05 plate avensis 1.8 t3x. :( yes i know i am on the wrong forum page but bare with me. i am now at that stage in life when i need a bit of oomph .and the corola t-sport sounds like a whole lot of fun. performance without looking like a bmw driver if you know what i mean.

first though i have a few questions what is this `lift` which i hear so much about on the forum pages? it sounds like fun what ever it is. also will a t-sport still have a bit of comfort in the ride or is it going to be a rock hard ride ? what year were they last made ie 05 or 55.

oh and just to confuse myself even more would anyone recommend the compressor which seems like a lot of car for the money,i have seen 55 platers for £14.000 on mr.ts happy centres. but i am a little worried about its reliability its does feature quiet a lot in the forum pages,is the extra performance that much greater than a statnard t-sport.

happy motoring :thumbsup:

hi,

i can quicky tell you the basic of the lift on the 2zz-ge engine from a driver view.

The "lift" is basicly instant of both of the twin cam runnung always at same time toyota use just one cam at a time,so from low cam change to high cam at 6200rpm thats the point of the lift you will suddenly get a surge of extra power because the low cam is just a normal 1.8 cam and the high cam is a high performance cam so the extra power would feel just like a turbo at the point of the lift at 6,200rpm.

cts's :pre-facelift are good price to buy and very good for tunning and they are the fastest standard cts to have but do need some attention unless you buy my car which it all fixed :D and also every after market tuning part you put on will be better than the tunning parts on the facelift corolla trust me and if you really must you can use any parts from facelift into pre-facelift.

the supercharger on the corolla ctsc can be directly bolt on to any pre - facelift corolla tsports equip with 2zz-ge engine

cts : facelift cost more to buy with minor changes here and there some are good some are bad depends if you really need it or want it ,for example rain sensor,dim mirriors are not really usefull but the seats does seats better and the bodykit looks ok too but they all look the same.

the TTE supercharger on the corolla ctsc can be directly bolt on to any facelift corolla tsports equip with 2zz-ge engine

ctsc this is a car if you want extra performance on the 2zzge without getting your hands dirty then go for this car it does looks good in standard form too, but if you into tunning i stay away from this one.

remember the supercharger wont last forever after 60,000k you will start to worry about the repairing cost, i honestly dont think many people would pay a lot more money to have one over cts in a few years time but right now they are the best corolla to get. :)

all three model's are good cars and have excaly the same engine's i personaly do like the lift on these cars it just not the same without it .

unless you own a t-sport then you don't need to know what the lift is. it's a private club.

they stopped being available at the end of december 2005. it's only the compressors you have buy new now.

Chenks...

What is your problem?

they stopped being available at the end of december 2005. it's only the compressors you have buy new now.

Chenks...

What is your problem?

I think he was being sarcastic! :o

Also another point to remember is that the compressor doesn't have a noticeable "lift" - well it shouldn't if everything is working ok as the compressor is designed to smooth the power out across accelleration. So if you are interested in the "grin factor" then you need a cts rather than a compressor, but I still wouldn't kick a compressor out of my driveway.

As a side note, sarcasm rarely comes across in the manner intended when it's in written form so it's best avoided. It can be fine when aimed at someone who's been a member of the forum for a while and will probably be able to recognise it as such but newer members will just think you are being mean and avoid us in future.

And to pull my post back on track, one thing I don't think has been covered from your original post is the ride comfort. You will struggle to find a hot hatch of a comparable price that offers the comfort and luxury of a cts. I have firmed up the suspension on mine and the ride comfort is still very good. I haven't had many teeth rattlers when going over pot holes or country tracks etc.

Hey guys!

You know when you hit the lift in the CTS because its when you find yourself gripping the steering wheel and screaming WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!! At the top of your lungs while passing other road users as if they are in reverse lol!

I find the ride in my CTS very good, and as MiniMarc says above, much better than some other hot hatchs (civic typr R, st170) and the best part of the lift is that the novalty NEVER wears off. CTS all the way!!

Mark

Chenks...

What is your problem?

i think the real question is.. what is YOUR problem ?

:yawn:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but T128 - I have a question:

You say "pre-facelift are good price to buy and very good for tunning and they are the fastest standard cts to have but do need some attention unless you buy my car which it all fixed"

I have just bought an 04 CTS. What issues should I be looking out for? (get it in before the warranty runs out)

Cheers

You say "pre-facelift are good price to buy and very good for tunning and they are the fastest standard cts to have but do need some attention unless you buy my car which it all fixed"

I have just bought an 04 CTS. What issues should I be looking out for? (get it in before the warranty runs out)

Cheers

I think he means needs attention as in handling wise

A vague description would be that it makes the onboard realtime MPG calculator go as low as 3MPG plus it makes the car go a whole load quicker!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i've been havin a little think about the compressor!!!

Everybody knows it has a smooth delivery and you can not feel lift right, due to the supercharger dulling down on cam change over!!!

So.... My thoughts were if you could keep the pressure of the supercharger up lets say all the way to 8k rpm, at the point in which the cams change surely you would feel lift kick again!!! Just a thought!!!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i've been havin a little think about the compressor!!!

Everybody knows it has a smooth delivery and you can not feel lift right, due to the supercharger dulling down on cam change over!!!

So.... My thoughts were if you could keep the pressure of the supercharger up lets say all the way to 8k rpm, at the point in which the cams change surely you would feel lift kick again!!! Just a thought!!!

I have found that in my compressor if it`s fully loaded u can feel the lift kick in at about 5200 rpm.

Another sign of this is at 100mph in 6th gear (on a track of course!) the car hits 5200rpm and you can feel a real surge of power but you can`t feel it in 1st,2nd or 3rd.

its the other way around in the cts.... you can feel lift in 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th ....... but 5th and 6th you cant feel any lift... :thumbsup:

Cheers

have you check if you got the dimmer lights issue

repair : toyota need to update your ecu

radio gap showing

repair :toyota need to adjust radio position's

small rattle front and rear all over

repair: find the rattle and stop it

if any part of your gears or clutch sound like metal grinding

repaired: toyota will provide a complete new clutch unit under warrenty

i cant think of anymore .

The following item's are some simple basic tunning on the pre-facelift cts if you are ready going stage one tunning your pre face-lift cts have a look at below.

change all dash lights to colour red (it is a must)

exhaust system ( possibly with de cat) loud loud loud

induction kit

lightweight flywheel,single plate clutch with cover

front and rear strut bar's and front and rear anti roll bar's

lower suspension

full bodykit

upgrade brake disc's all round (if you are hard up or tight git then just change the front as the back dont do much)

shortshift

bigger alloy wheels 17" for everyday use and 18 " for looks (for me i am looking at 18s)

once you done all above and still not happy then we talk more :D :D :D

hello t-sporters,

i didnt think anyone was going to pass on the secret of the `lift`having read the reply from `chenks`. but i did quite like his reply though.

any way i think i know now what to expect on a test drive,cant wait. In relation to my forthcoming test drive which i hope is unaccompanied(no salesperson). :thumbsup: are there any known problems to look be aware of. i am hoping to get the latest model i can `05`.basic t-sport as i think the compressor could be a bit too complex long trem.

so to sum up a t-sport should rev like a 2-stoke engine with a similar powerband which starts at about 5-6rpm.what does the engine rev up to?

i am really enjoying reading about everyones tips and tricks. sad or what :yes:

i think the rev limiter kicks in at 8000rpm (if i remember correctly)

it will kick in much lower if the engine is cold (7000rpm i believe)

And speaking of cold engines, it also prevent you from hitting lift on a cold engine, although if you take it up to 5k rpm on a couple of gear changes, by the time you hit 4th gear I can generally hit lift :D

And don't worry about having a salesperson in the passenger seat. If they know anything about T-Sports then they'll let you take it on a dual carriageway to open her up.

In relation to my forthcoming test drive which i hope is unaccompanied(no salesperson). :thumbsup:

Hi - don't worry about being accompanied...... I got my CTS from Minories Wearside and the salesman was eager to get me to get it to 6,200 so the lift would kick in - reason - because he knew as soon as the lift kicked in he had a sale!!!!

He was right...... :yes::yes:

T128

Thanks for the advice:

Have not noticed any of the problems you describe, so suppose they have all been sorted.

Lights already all red so suppose previous owner had this done.

Already looking at lowering and strut braces, will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

T128

Thanks for the advice:

Have not noticed any of the problems you describe, so suppose they have all been sorted.

Lights already all red so suppose previous owner had this done.

Already looking at lowering and strut braces, will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

hey there is no hurry i havn't fulfill the whole list yet and i had the car for over 3 year's :D :D

In relation to my forthcoming test drive which i hope is unaccompanied(no salesperson). :thumbsup:

Hi - don't worry about being accompanied...... I got my CTS from Minories Wearside and the salesman was eager to get me to get it to 6,200 so the lift would kick in - reason - because he knew as soon as the lift kicked in he had a sale!!!!

He was right...... :yes::yes:

lol same here!!

Mark

I have had 2 tsports now first one was a 5 door pre facelift and current one is 3 door face lift model.

The lift comes in at 6200rpm and the car pulls through to 8000rpm. If you get gear change right then you can stay in lift if not yu will drop out and feel it kick in again at 6200rpm, you do need to be on limiter to stay in lift.

Further up post says it has 2 cams, I thought it was a hydraulic mechanism wich throws a bolt across making the valves travel further hence the lift.

They are a fun car to drive and can be driven normally round town ect but if you want to play rev the engine round and wait to smile. My wife reckons I will never get bored of the lift and she is probably right.

Out of the 2 cars I have had the face lift handles better as it has been lowered and has front and rear strut dampeners on it. Other added bits are auto windscreen wipers and auto rear view mirror. You also get red seat trims and white dials with TS logo and TS logo on sills. Although the cars use exactly same engine/box set up the face lift does seem a bit more responsive but that may be in my head, Mr T says they are th same and I would probably believe him.

Ive had a go in a compressor and it is quick and handles a bit better, lower and solid braces on struts. but for me it seemed more fun getting the lift and I wanted fun back in the car. I would suggest trying both as the Tsport NA is not everyones cup of tea, you seem to have to work at driving it, the compressor will give you more power lower down and tourque is better but it is preference between the driving styles which might suit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links