Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy

Jamboo 1

Guys, I'm fom the dark side (Lexus forum) :help:

Some of us on there have the IS220d, which essentially shares the 177bhp oiler engine, and are suffering from particularly poor economy - on average combined cycles of approx 35-42mpg, no matter how we drive them. This included purely motorway runs at 70mph, where we see at most 47-48mpg. (gov't figures are 36 urban, 44.8 combined and 52 extra urban).

Most of the Lex guys have had diesels before and not had this problem with other makes. Lexus have idetntified an EMU/ECU remap, but this apparently has not worked.

So the question is - what MPG do you guys get with the 177bhp diesel engine? Town and Motorway averages would be good - we really need this information as some of the guys on the forum there believe there is a fundamental problem.

I appreciate that the Lex is likely to be a heavier car, and that it is RWD, which all will account for different MPG figures, but they really should be closish!! Also, knowing how the Avensis compoares to the gov't stated figures would be cool.

Thanks in advance!!

I am not sure if it will help you, because I am not so clever to convert mpg to litres/100km :)

But still.

Mine 2.2Dcat now shows 7.9L/100 km average. 40% highway (120-160km/h), 60% city + winther. In summer it was 7.6. Official data says 6.1 average, which in my case would be realistic if driving 90 km/h on highway :)

My friend has same lexus as you - for first months of ownership he had 12L/100km!!!

btw - mine had ECU software changing - problems with cold start when temp +5-0C. After it - the performance also changed - more torque on lower rpm. I like it. :)

Mine's doing around 42-43mpg overall. My T180 is a Tourer so it is heavier than saloons or hatchbacks.

I've driven almost 15,000 miles in it since early October and have had no problems. :thumbsup:

Mine has only done 1,500 miles and is a tourer, however I am only getting 32mpg on average, nowhere near offical figures. I am hoping this will increase as the engine wears in, but I do like to drive with a heavy right foot!

• 1 month later...

I've had the T180 since the 1st of March and clocked 4000 miles yesterday. I've had some concerns about fuel economy too - for the first couple of thousand miles I was lucky to get 34mpg, the last 1000 covered I got 35.5mpg.... this is on a 160 mile round trip that is about 80% motorway.

My previous car was a 3.2 Merc diesel and that used to get 37mpg on the same trip...!

I can't say that I'm exactly impressed with the returns on the Avensis, its certainly a far cry from the 45mpg that Toyota quote.

Just wanted to check but anyone with poor fuel consumption - are you sure you reset the trip computer and re-tested?

• 1 month later...

For some reason i was only getting on average 35mpg in my T180 auris hatch and i wasn't heavy footed because i'm running it in.

I decided to reset the trip computer and i averaged 47.8mpg after a days driving around A/B roads and dual carriageway around Derbyshire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links