Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Quotes

Steve-O 2006

Ok, Im trying to get a quote to insure my Mercedes 190E but I keep getting asked about modifications to the car.

If possible please could someone help me with this as its confusing me abit -

1. alloys. The car came standard with mercedes alloys on it, I have now swapped them with some Team Dynamic alloys, will I have to declaire this even when the car came standard with alloys?

2. Spoiler. The car didnt come with a spoiler but I have had an official Mercedes 190E spoiler fitted to it. Is this classed as a modification as its a standard mercedes part that has been added to the car.

3. Lowered. I didnt know it was lowered when I bought it, only reliesed it when I saw the red lowering springs in it while changing the alloys over, I supose I will have to declaire this as its a modification.

4. Exhaust. I will have to declaire this but its only the back box which is different.

Do they only realy look for Performance increasing Modifications (Eg Bigger Turbos, Nos etc etc??) or do they need everything??

Thanks

Really it's safest to declare everything.

Insurance companies can be notoriously slippery when settling a claim and if your car doesn't match what they have on their records ( modded and undeclared extras ) then it makes their obstruction much easier .

There are a few people on this forum who work in Insurance who could advise with some professional knowledge, but I'd say declare everything - then you're definitely covered !

1- Definate modifications

2- Will go down as an optional extra as long as the OE was available when the car was new, regardless of who fitted.

3- Definate modification

4- Ditto

So yes you need to tell them everything including optional extras.

thanks for the reply, will let them know tomorrow.

What sort of price do modifications add?? Eg, Non of them on the car affect performance realy except the lowering springs which give better stability or what ever you would call it...

It depends on the insurer, some companies (I think Direct Line included) refuse to insure any1 under the age of 25 with any modifications whatsoever, whereas other companies (I've heard good things about Adrian Flux) seem to not care what you do as long as you tell them

Yes, that's about the size of it. They like to know what mods or factory/dealer fitted options are added but these rarely add to the insurance premium. They do need to be aware of them as they are going to be paying for them in the case of a claim, if you think about it.

My other half insured her supra, the 18s, full turbo back exhaust, air filter, strut brace, lowering springs didn;t actually make any different to her premium....

Not sure what they will make of the coilovers though :blink:

Insurance comapnys don't seem to like hybrid turbos either :D

I would give the Elephant.co.uk website a go. they are quote good as long as you have a fairly regular car (i.e. no weird imports) and thair modification declaration is easy and simple

well just got off the phone to direct line before reading this and they wont insure me with any mods untill Im 25.. Looks like I need to look somewhere else of go on my mums insurance with direct line again. :(

isn't it direct line that will build up NCB for named drivers??

If that's the case then go that way on your mums policy. By the time you can get insured with mods you'll have a few years no claims under your belt to soften the blow !

yup, They give you Named Drivers No cliam discount which is good. 1 year Named driver no claim bonus dropped my price from £1,300 to £808. Then when my policy came in the post I noticed Modifications - None :(

Tried Adrian Flux and they wont insure me

Tried Elephant and they wont insure me

Just phoned another company and they wanted to know How much the springs lower the car and how big the exhaust is...

--EDIT--

Just phoned Elephant and they said I selected the wrong lowering height (I selected over 5cm instead of under) £980 for 10month rapid insurance. Not bad I supose since I will be only 20 with 0 no claims bonus when the policy starts...

Right, I think this is going to be my Final few questions on this -

1. Would you put "Interior changes" down as a modification if all you have changed is the steering wheel?? (Personally I think Interior changes would mean if you have switched the standard seats for say Recaro Bucket seats etc)

2. Would you put down "Exterior Decorative Changes" if you have neons fitted under the car?? Theres tick boxes for Spot lights but nothing for neons, all I can find is Exterior Decorative but that sounds more like for Vinyls / Stickers down the doors etc... (Dont laugh :P The neons finish the merc off quite well, turns it into the ultimate pimp mobile :P hehe)

3. Do named drivers have to live at your house?? I just added my Aunty on to see what would happen and it reduced it by another £40 (Thats after adding my Mum on which reduced it by £200)

--edit-- Ignore Q3, no need to add my aunty to it as adding my dad reduced it by the same amount :)

As Sera said, it's best to declare everything. Insurance companies will find any reason not to pay out if you need to claim.

I really feel for young drivers having to pay so much for insurance.

I have just insured my track car with everything declared - right down to the steering wheel boss. all for £250 fully comp. Only thing is up to 3000 miles though...

yup, They give you Named Drivers No cliam discount which is good. 1 year Named driver no claim bonus dropped my price from £1,300 to £808.

Isn't that just if you stick with Direct Line though? If you go to another random company after a year will you still be able to say you've got a year's NCB?

yup, They give you Named Drivers No cliam discount which is good. 1 year Named driver no claim bonus dropped my price from £1,300 to £808.

Isn't that just if you stick with Direct Line though? If you go to another random company after a year will you still be able to say you've got a year's NCB?

its for Direct line only.

Hi Steve my son works for Norwich Union claims and repairs and replaces vehicles. What they want to know is if the mods you have done will make it more costly to repair, more likely to be broken into or stolen. If you just change the alloys from standard it can add up to £100 to insurance, most interior OTHER than ice don't tend to affect it especially externals such asspoilers etc. If you can get the direct line insurance ncb buildup then go for it will be cheaper than non standard car under 25 years old. Make sure you declare everything especially if you chip it because they always check at the repairers and send a note to insurance co which could cost you a bundle because you would then be classed as unisured (a third party serious injury including all hospital costs etc can run over 100k) and have a friendly policeman around your neck :o

well, went with Elephant, 12 months for £957 But just relised that the policy says something like "Not to be used for traveling back and forward to work in"... I have filled out the form to change it to Commuting to include this so hopefully it will be sorted soon...

Thanks for letting me know thunder. But Norwich union wanted £2,280 off me (That was without declaring modifications as I had to phone for that!!)... Its stupid how one wants £2,280 and the other £957 :). but the most expensive quote so far on the merc was £9,879 :P

Norwich Union are confused.

Initally they quoted me £347.00 on "Simple Cover" for a standard UK 2.5ltr V6 Galant with both my partner and myself on the policy with points declared.

The when I actually bought the car and wanted to take out the policy they said wouldn't touch it.... Saying it had something do do with both of us having points :wacko:

Quinn have come in good for now too :thumbsup:

Try using Confused.com - it does save a lot of messing about ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links