Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Notchy Gearbox Selection

pinkbits69

@pinkbits69

i,am from the Netherlands and i have a 6 speed Yaris 1800 T-sport with sometimes a crunchy gearbox on the 2e gear can you please add some pictures by your discription PLEASE

Cause i dont no all the english words

Some piccies of this procedure would be lovely as i have a notchy box!! :yes::thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

did this 2 years ago, forgot about it till driving another t sport

1. buy 2 gearbox drain bung washers from toyota (2 types available, 1 is thickish alloy, other is compessable steel), doesn't mater which you buy, wont cost more than a pound i'd think

2. remove airbox so you can see top of gearbox

3. locate large bung, 24mm socket fits

4. remove this, this has a spring tensioned ball

5. this is too much pressure, put an extra washer on, rebuild and try, you may need to add the other

this will result in silky smooth gear change with no adverse affect

also i would recomened replacing gear oil every 20,000 miles not 40,000 as toyota sugest, with desent fully synthetic.

i have been toyota tech for over 15 years

OP- whereabouts in WYorks are you? I'm about to pick up a 57 1.3 Yaris from Toyota Hudds and this to has a slight crunch into 2nd. Is there any chance at all I could run by you and do this infront of you? Basically I can pay you with a bottle of wine as a thank you. (I'd do the work- you'd just point).

If its a 57 plate 1.3, then the "washer fix" mentioned in this thread isn't the fix for that. The issue with a 2007 or 2008 1.3 gearbox will be the "selector shaft" mentioned in the "gearbox crunch" thread. That's fixed by a replacement gearbox selector shaft that Toyota will change under warranty.

Assuming you're getting a warranty from the dealer, even though the car could be three years old, get the dealer to fix it before you pick up the car....

If they claim to not know - tell them there's a "Toyota Service Bulletin" for a "selector shaft modification" - and they need to look it up....

If its a 57 plate 1.3, then the "washer fix" mentioned in this thread isn't the fix for that. The issue with a 2007 or 2008 1.3 gearbox will be the "selector shaft" mentioned in the "gearbox crunch" thread. That's fixed by a replacement gearbox selector shaft that Toyota will change under warranty.

Assuming you're getting a warranty from the dealer, even though the car could be three years old, get the dealer to fix it before you pick up the car....

If they claim to not know - tell them there's a "Toyota Service Bulletin" for a "selector shaft modification" - and they need to look it up....

Note back from Toyota Technician- parts coming on Monday and I'll pick up following that so hopefully its this part (will check).

• 8 months later...

I just did this today on friends (who is stupid, btw) '06 Corolla TS. The tranny was a little bit notchy, and hard...

Steps:

1. Remove airbox and you will see the top of the transmission, then you will see a 24mm bung, remove it and put a 2,5-3 mm washer like I did, and the results are incredible:

28072011101.jpg

The bung goes in that hole:

28072011102.jpg

Bung + washer:

28072011103.jpg

The washer must have a 18,5-21 mm hole.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links