Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 Avensis Full Colour Sat Nav Upgrade

Montyone

Picked up my first Avensis on 5th Feb (T180 Tourer) after years in Vauxhalls. Specified the full colour sat nav but it seems that the ETA or TMC functionality has been removed from this 'upgrade' Dealer cannot confirm and customer services sent a rather condesending reply to my letter saying that the unit has TMC but I cannot find any mention of this in the manual and the system has never re-routed me.

:help: Can anyone tell me whether the upgrade has either ETA or TMC.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I cannot help. I also just bough an Avensis Executive (2007 model) and it seems that a new kind of navigation system is about to be released (I think they call it TNS 700). Which one do you have?

Sorry, I cannot help. I also just bough an Avensis Executive (2007 model) and it seems that a new kind of navigation system is about to be released (I think they call it TNS 700). Which one do you have?

I believe the new sat nav system is built into the dash where the current cd-player and screen is. i.e. its not the pop-up colour one on the top of the dashboard. From what I can gather, talking to my dealer today, this "upgraded" sat nav does NOT include the traffic avoidance feature.

Picked up my first Avensis on 5th Feb (T180 Tourer) after years in Vauxhalls. Specified the full colour sat nav but it seems that the ETA or TMC functionality has been removed from this 'upgrade' Dealer cannot confirm and customer services sent a rather condesending reply to my letter saying that the unit has TMC but I cannot find any mention of this in the manual and the system has never re-routed me.

:help: Can anyone tell me whether the upgrade has either ETA or TMC.

I don't know which model my sat nav is a it is not listed anywhere on instructions but it is the full colour with flip up screen on top of the dash. This bypasses the built in audio system so it cannot link to TMC.

I took my concerns up with Toyota customer relations as I found a poster in my local dealer which implied that my version should have traffic avoidance. The result of this was a free set of front and rear parking sensors as compenstation - not a bad deal but it took a lot of hassling to get.

I cannot get my local dealer to admit that a running change is on the cards but a number of colleagues have ordered new cars and been told that they will not be available until June so it appears as if something is happening.

Worst bit is that I had to borrow another car while the sensors were being fitted which was an Avensis T-Spirit on an 04 plate which had the old standard sat nav. This did have TMC and enabled me to avoid a major hold up on the M4 - Oh well, here's to a couple of years sitting in jams.

Must admit that I love the rest of the car - the 2.2 DCAT engine is a real gem - or a potential license loser as you don't realise how fast you are going.

Hopefully there will be some sort of update. I've just ordered my T180 Tourer as a company car, but I haven't got a delivery date back yet.

Didn't opt for any extras, but it would be nice if the updates included an upgrade to the full colour sat nav!

I had my car on order from February and expected delivery in March/April. Then I read this.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64215

So I went back to the dealer and asked the question - will my car be an upgrade or not? The dealer didn't know but while I waited he checked on Toyota Central and sure enough there was a run change planned and it did include a sat nav update, some different coloured paintwork and 17" wheels for 3TS upwards.

I went back through the deal we made and he agreed that for the same money my new car should be guaranteed to be the latest spec. Fortunately he was able to get one in Venetian Silver for last week and it does have the touch screen sat nav built in to the stereo.

I haven't tried it yet but the new sat nav handbook does say that TMC is available on this system and there is an icon for it on the screen.

It looks something like this though the side buttons may have different functions -

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=16910

The disk slots are behind the screen and you access them by pressing "open". On start up you get a Toyota screen and it defaults to the map view warning screen but this is customisable to audio view.

I wonder if there is going to be any decent iPod connectivity to this unit?

I assume from the posts that this is located within the dash and replaces the current audio head unit?

I wonder if there is going to be any decent iPod connectivity to this unit?

I assume from the posts that this is located within the dash and replaces the current audio head unit?

I haven't found any iPod connection. Shame. But it does have an excellent MP3 CD player.

Desmond22, so did yours come with the upgraded equipment in the end?

Does the unit sit in the dash?

Desmond22, so did yours come with the upgraded equipment in the end?

Does the unit sit in the dash?

Yes newtouk, at least I'm assuming this is the updated equipment!

The satnav and the stereo are combined. There is a 7 inch touch screen and you choose between viewing the map or the audio (the audio does work while the map is on though!) and it sits in the same place as the old stereo.

The old satnav space on top of the dash is converted into a lidded cubby hole.

The colour screen is nice and bright and the stereo is very good apart from the lack of iPod connection.

The only gripe I would say against it is that the positioning can be awkward if you need to look at the map or the stereo or press a button while on the move. You really do have to take your eyes off the road. But I suppose to fix that will mean a complete redesign of the air vents and the facia and most cars with built-in satnav do have the same problem.

My bet is that within a year or two we will see satnav screens built into a bigger LCD in the speedo display area.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links