Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Wheel Tyre Size

tsportmark

Hi,

I bought my dad some new alloys for his Toyota Avensis, the original wheels are 195 60 15, the new wheels are 205 55 16

The original spare is still 195 60 15, I was wondering if I am able to put a different size tyre on the 15 inch spare to make it the same radius as the new 16 inch alloys

I am guessing if I put a 195 65 15 inch tyre on the 15 inch spare it should be OK?

I found this http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html it is a tyre size calculator, if I put in "Old Tyre Size" 195 65 15 and then in New Tyre Size" 205 55 16 it calculates the Difference in diameter as 2mm

So do think it is OK to put a 195 65 15 on the spare?

Cheers

I bought my dad some new alloys for his Toyota Avensis, the original wheels are 195 60 15, the new wheels are 205 55 16

From the MOT requirements, which will be applied by the Elderly William or VOSA if your father has a run-in with either,

"Tyres must be correctly matched with regard to:

• Type

• Size

• Structure

• Location on the vehicle with respect to the axles."

Providing the spare is not in use it won't be a problem. If however it is found to be in use on the vehicle you will probably fall foul of the law.

It might be possible to treat it as a space saving spare, which can only be used with conditional rules observed but this might be pushing your luck.

Personally I think you need to purchase a 16" steel rim or another alloy.

The 195/60x15 will be fine as a spare, no need to change it.. it will just come under the same rules and regulations as a spacesaver so no problems with regards the law.

There are many different makes of car out there that come brand new with the "optional extra" of larger alloys and they still come with a standard sized steel spare.

Hi,

The original spare is still 195 60 15, I was wondering if I am able to put a different size tyre on the 15 inch spare to make it the same radius as the new 16 inch alloys

I am guessing if I put a 195 65 15 inch tyre on the 15 inch spare it should be OK?

I found this http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html it is a tyre size calculator, if I put in "Old Tyre Size" 195 65 15 and then in New Tyre Size" 205 55 16 it calculates the Difference in diameter as 2mm

Cheers

Hi Mark,

Wouldn't worry about the spare being a different size when you're only talking 2mm diameter. If your Dad is at all worried carry a can of tyre sealant and get the car to a tyre shop ASAP. I once had a mate with a Golf that had two 195/55/16s on the front, one 215/55/15 on the back and the original space saver on the other back wheel. Got us from Cardiff to Bristol and back at well over the recommended speed for the space saver!

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links