Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rolled My Car!

Woody27

Hey'all!

As some of you may know, thursday nite i rolled my car :( Everyone is 100% ok (was me n mate in my car), if not a little shaken. It was at, what is now, a new roundabout. I broke before it and accelerated around it to discover, half way round it, they had changed the layout since that morning. I was admitedly going above the speed limit (not much as i had broke to 20 to go over a ramp before the bend) but i would have got around it fine if the layout hadnt been changed! As it was tighter than earlier i had to brake and turn, which caused the back to slide. I caught it but it skidded 180 the other way and then caught it! Obviously too late. This caused me to slide towards the outer curb which i clipped, turning the car onto it's side on the bank (my side), to turn onto the roof before sliding into a ditch and turning onto my mates side! Like i said no one was hurt and we just climbed out and waited for my dad and the police to come. I will be charged with drivng without care due cause and attention (i think that's what it's called). It basically means i will probably get 3 points as the road layout was new. Also we even saw a taxi go the wrong way around the roundabout whilst the police where there proving it isn't THAT clear! Anyway thought i better let you lot know! Car's probably written off which is a bummer but atleast we are safe tbh. Ideal situation would be the car's repairable and i only have to do an advance driving course but i reckon 3 points is realistic.

The ditch the car was in was deeper than the car so pulling it out of the ditch will probably add to the damage! They broke their first winch trying to pull it out! I haven't yet seen it since the accident but when it was in the ditch the roof was caved in at the front with the windscreen smashed, both sides had been rolled over so broken wing mirrors and probs dented doors, the front TTE splitter mullered and the bonnet broken.

Obviously i'm pretty lucky n know it was my fault for driving fast but if the layout hadn't of changed since the morning i would have easily made it! Also as the surface was new it was harder to prevent the second slide as it was kind of a scandanavian flick.

no idea what will be happening now so will just have to see how the car is, what i can sell from it n what i can get next. It was insured tpft so no luck there! Sucks as had just got the exterior looking as i wanted! Just glad my mate and I are safe tbh.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody27

• T V O R

• Yaris SR Kid

• dawesy

Oh Woody! :(

Still, at least everyone is ok and no one was injured....

Lesson learnt there my lad!

Watch out though - you haven't had your licence long.... get over 6 points in your first 2 years and its bye bye licence, so you'd better be on your best behaviour from now on - no more speeding!

Glad to hear you are ok though and hope to see you out and about in your next red SR soon! :thumbsup:

Cheers Em :)

Yeah i know i will obviously learn from my lesson n just take things a bit easier atleast for until those 2 years are up.

Yeah next car just depends on insurance tbh! I will still get a years no claim which means a Tsport may not be out of the question but like i said will have to see!

Dont worry about it mate, just consider it an expensive lesson ! :( Gutted for you though mate.

I know people will say you two are safe but its YOUR car, i know how you feel.

(Next time you lose the back end. put your foot down. even if it means youll bump into the kerb!)

Hard lines dude.

Have you told insurance?

(Next time you lose the back end. put your foot down. even if it means youll bump into the kerb!)

Bad advice from Moffmo there Woody as you will learn if you do the advanced driver training.

Moffmo: If in doubt, say nout :!Removed!:

Gutted for ya mate, I rue the day when it happens to me!

Where did it happen? It wasn't on the new road layout around Aylesbury/Leighton Buzzard way was it??

Bad advice from Moffmo there Woody as you will learn if you do the advanced driver training.

Moffmo: If in doubt, say nout :!Removed!:

Isnt the car more stable while accelerating though ?

I know instinct takes over and you hit the brake but isnt he right in saying accelerate and hope to get some grip??

TVOR. I used to lose back end on purpose (I live a little so what), the way to get grip again is to accelerate and that squares the back end up.

What would you do in that situation? Have you done advance driving?

Isnt the car more stable while accelerating though ?

I know instinct takes over and you hit the brake but isnt he right in saying accelerate and hope to get some grip??

He has no grip to start with that’s why he is over steering (too fast or due to the road surface conditions).

Adding more power by accelerating in a car that is already out of control is going to make the situation worse.

Over steer situation is to dip the clutch ease off the gas and steer into the skid, i.e. into the direction the rear wheels are going. Slowing down & easing off the power will hopefully allow the tyres to regain traction and control of the car, but you have to be quick! Any delay in reacting and the rear wheels reach the point of no return then I’m afraid you are just a passenger in the driving seat!

TVOR. I used to lose back end on purpose (I live a little so what), the way to get grip again is to accelerate and that squares the back end up.

Maybe your over steer was in a controlled situation and you are expecting it and not over cooking it.

In this situation due to speed and being unfamiliar with the road layout, he was caught out.

What would you do in that situation? Have you done advance driving?

See above and Yes :thumbsup:

Maybe your over steer was in a controlled situation and you are expecting it and not over cooking it.

In this situation due to speed and being unfamiliar with the road layout, he was caught out.

good point you have there tvor.

Over steer situation is to dip the clutch ease off the gas and steer into the skid, i.e. into the direction the rear wheels are going. Slowing down & easing off the power will hopefully allow the tyres to regain traction and control of the car, but you have to be quick! Any delay in reacting and the rear wheels reach the point of no return then I’m afraid you are just a passenger in the driving seat!

In my defence i did the above by dipping clutch and turning into skid with quick reactions on the first skid, but by the second one it was too fast for me n i had tapped the brakes when i thought i would catch it from the first which just made it shift the weight back onto the front ready for the second skid. I did my best and with a grippy surface i probably would have been alright but i didnt really think about the new road surface when i was skidding!

But yeah it is a shame to loose the car but obviously best that everyone is ok and i realise i'm lucky for that!

O and it was on the new roundabout on buckingham road just past watermead Baby Yari!

i didnt really think about the new road surface when i was skidding!

I was referring to ice snow or a loose surface (e.g. gravel)

Glad you are OK and didn’t take anyone else out.

:thumbsup:

1st of all I am sorry you lost your car, you had put so much into it.. but glad to hear you and (what's this "n" all about?) your mate are both ok.

Cheers Em :)

Yeah i know i will obviously learn from my lesson n just take things a bit easier atleast for until those 2 years are up.

Yeah next car just depends on insurance tbh! I will still get a years no claim which means a Tsport may not be out of the question but like i said will have to see!

Now on to this bit.... what are you planning to do when the 2 years are up?? drive like a muppet? (not saying you were btw).. you really HAVE to learn from this Woody otherwise you will be putting not just your own life at risk, but other road users lives at risk too.. not only that, it can also have a devastating affect on the thickness of your wallet.

If they don't force you to sit the advanced driving course, it could be an idea to go for it anyway.. if you don't learn anything from it at least your insurance might get cheaper as a result.

Anyhoo... hope things work out for you.. keep on the forum as we would all like to know what you get next.. I personally hope you get a Fiat.. could do with a good laugh on here :lol:

Hey Woody glad to hear you all ok at least we know the yaris can handle a fatal inversion. We have a bridge outside our house which peeps think doesn't exist and it regularly tips them into ditch on far side and £2k of damage to repair the bridge and usually at least the same to the vehicle, Focus two weeks ago with no front end and new Shell needed. Wish I was a stone mason as repair proceeds would be good. Let us know what you get to replace it.

I didn't mean it like that i just meant i will be stupidly careful before i can drive spiritedly again or even just to get my confidence back. I have been on advance driving courses before and few other bits so it isn't i didn't know what to do it's just the new surface n layout caught me out. Also i had checked the roundabout was clear of cars before i accelerated around as i would never want to put other road users lives at risk. Tbh i think i am quite a sensible driver who does drive quickly at times but usually within the speed limit (i was accelerating round the roundabout as knew there was a 60 on the other side so was just enjoying the roundabout with my coileys and planned to finish accelerating up to 60 on other side of it).

Well i will learn from it obviously as makes me think that the road may change even within a day and unless you 100% know the road (i.e. been down it 2 seconds before) you should treat it like you've never driven it before.

Replacement wise it all depends on the damage to car. Pretty sure its a new Shell jobby which may mean i will try find a rear shunt yaris to drop my parts onto. If not i may strip and sell mine and buy another car. Tbh almost definately be a yaris as it was still making me happy!

I'm glad you took my comments the way I hoped you would.. I wasn't slating you or anything, but was worried incase you took it the wrong way :thumbsup:

na dw about it! I know there is a lesson to be learnt, shame i learnt it this way but it could have been worse!

sorry to hear this woody

glad your ok though

Tough luck, Woody! Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

Just to make you feel a bit better about yourself -

my son rolled his mother's car soon after he passed his test. Now he's a bit older and wiser, he's earning his living instructing for BSM!

Tony

Cheers everyone :D Really do appreciate it! Just want to get on with the next stage now of hearing from police and getting to look at my car to see what i can salvage from it/where to go from here!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links