Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unlucky Avensis

bristolmotorspeedway

Where better to have a whinge about an unlucky Avensis than on the owners' forum!

I should have known it wouldn't be a lucky car when the rear number plate fell off within 20 miles of picking it up last September (that was my first experience with my first brand new car!). :crybaby:

All then went well for a few months, until February this year when a fellow driver lost control under braking for a roundabout. He ended up sliding sideways into the front right of my car and admitted full responsibility. Result - new wing, bumper, headlight, respray driver's door. :crybaby::crybaby:

So, I've had the car back for around 6 weeks, and just about forgotten the prang and liking the car again....on Saturday a bus pulls out of a stop and into my lane (I'm stationary due to parked car on double yellows on one way street). Result this time - that new front bumper is a gonner, passenger side wing looks finished too. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Not the car's fault...but in 17 years of driving I've never known a motor that magnetically attracts so much trouble. I also find people just love to cut me up in it.... :censor:

But now, I think I've drawn a conclusion - Silver Steel combined with the Avensis' stealthy looks = invisible! :blink:

Anyway, whinge over, I still think it's a great car...just hope the luck will turn :rolleyes:

Unlucky fella. On the +ve side, at least the car protected you well.

I had the rear of mine demolished 2 years in a row. Up to then I'd been accident free for some 17 years. It is metallic turquoise and isn't exactly discreet.

You may be right about the stealth characteristics of silver grey.

Most air forces have a "low vis" set of camoflage. It is basically white or light grey markings on mid-grey background.

Take a grey car and add a lacquer coat - it goes really shiny and reflective like a mirror.

Put this in an urban scenario with lots of shiny office blocks and you get what happened yesterday morning in canary wharf.......BMW completely ignores the Avensis on the opposite side of the lights. The lights go green and Mr BMW turns across the front of the Toyota - BANG! The Toyota was still driveable and looked untouched but the Beemer had to be pushed away as it had lost the lights, radiator, fluids, oil cooler etc.

Unlucky fella. On the +ve side, at least the car protected you well.

I had the rear of mine demolished 2 years in a row. Up to then I'd been accident free for some 17 years. It is metallic turquoise and isn't exactly discreet.

You may be right about the stealth characteristics of silver grey.

Most air forces have a "low vis" set of camoflage. It is basically white or light grey markings on mid-grey background.

Take a grey car and add a lacquer coat - it goes really shiny and reflective like a mirror.

Put this in an urban scenario with lots of shiny office blocks and you get what happened yesterday morning in canary wharf.......BMW completely ignores the Avensis on the opposite side of the lights. The lights go green and Mr BMW turns across the front of the Toyota - BANG! The Toyota was still driveable and looked untouched but the Beemer had to be pushed away as it had lost the lights, radiator, fluids, oil cooler etc.

I knew there was something in this stealth silver theory! Nice though it looks, I will be tempted to spec something bolder next time...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Bristol. There's so much traffic on the roads these days and the general standard of driving leaves much to be desired IMHO.

Hope you enjoy trouble-free motoring from now on. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Bristol. There's so much traffic on the roads these days and the general standard of driving leaves much to be desired IMHO.

Hope you enjoy trouble-free motoring from now on. :thumbsup:

Cheers Shoto. Yes, there is certainly some shocking driving around these days, although I was particularly disappointed to be hit by a professional (ie bus) driver!

Fingers crossed that I can get the Avensis through a few months unscathed once its latest scars are repaired.

There is one very minor plus point, the few weeks off the road should mean one less service over the time I own the car! (intended to be 3 years, although very tempted right now to pay the finance off early and swap for another)

Rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links