Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Safe To Use 4wd Mode On Paved Roads

Hilux Vigo Owner

Being the owner of a new toyota hilux vigo without English instructions I would like to know if anyone can offer advice about when to use the four wheel drive gear. I have researched the subject and the common opinion is never use 4wd on paved or dry high friction surfaces. This is apparently caused by the differential lock which will try to rotate both the front and rear drive trains at the same speed which when turning on a high traction surface will put tremendous strain on the machine - is this so? I don't have any particular need to use 4wd mode on paved roads, but was concerned when I engaged 4wd mode out of curiosity and attempted a hard 2kph turn and received an alarming juddering which i'm assuming must be caused by the front drive train being out of sync with the rear. does this mean that a toyota hlux vigo can only be used in 4wd on a very wet or low friction surface without causing damage. I don't want to use the 4wd option on paved roads due to high tire wear. Can somebody please offer advice about driving in 4wd and when not to use it. I purchased a 2004 model vigo but dont have any instructions in english so im totally stumped!

Being the owner of a new toyota hilux vigo without English instructions I would like to know if anyone can offer advice about when to use the four wheel drive gear. I have researched the subject and the common opinion is never use 4wd on paved or dry high friction surfaces. This is apparently caused by the differential lock which will try to rotate both the front and rear drive trains at the same speed which when turning on a high traction surface will put tremendous strain on the machine - is this so? I don't have any particular need to use 4wd mode on paved roads, but was concerned when I engaged 4wd mode out of curiosity and attempted a hard 2kph turn and received an alarming juddering which i'm assuming must be caused by the front drive train being out of sync with the rear. does this mean that a toyota hlux vigo can only be used in 4wd on a very wet or low friction surface without causing damage. I don't want to use the 4wd option on paved roads due to high tire wear. Can somebody please offer advice about driving in 4wd and when not to use it. I purchased a 2004 model vigo but dont have any instructions in english so im totally stumped!

Hi

As far as I am aware the New Hilux Vigo is now fitted with a Cental Differential. This means that it is OK to drive on hard surfaces in wheel drive (also some 2-4wheel drive changes can be made on the move).

The older models did not have this centre differential so driving on hard surfaces in 4x4 could cause transmission 'windup' and damage.

Having said this the Vigo Centre Diff will not work miracles so a hard turn on dry surface will still cause juddering & is not really recommended, but normal 4x4 driving on the road is now O.K.

If you are looking for an English Owners Manual they can be bought from www.pickupstyling.co.uk

(look under 'Interior Styling'). They cost £25-00 +P&P. Its a bit pricy but is well worth it as it does give a lot of usefull information

Hope this is of help.

regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links