Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris - 1st and 2nd hard to engage

Alb

I have recently bought a Yaris just under 3 year old and I am disappointed to notice that the 1st and 2nd gears are often hard to engage, although not always/ Has anyone had a similar problem?

• 2 months later...

Toyota's Gearbox's have never been smooth...the Yaris' is very notchy indeed...

your not alone.

I have the same problem. 1st to second gear is very slow and sometimes an occasional crunch! Its going to the dealer on Sunday so i will ask.

That's true mate. The yaris has got a problem with the gearbox. I own a 2002 T sport. I have also got a notchy 1st to 2nd gear change.

I also have a yaris 1.0 cdx 1999 and that had the same problems as well. Toyota claim that they are looking into the problem. Infact when my first service is due i will get them to take a look at the gearbox as well.

jerry :D

Maybe it's the way you shift your gears...

Try not to rip it out of 1st before you have the clutch fully depressed!

Smooth, controlled, but never hurried!

Anyhow, it's not gonna make or brake ya at the lights...

I have a 2002 Yaris TS and I know the problem at hand. I've corrected my skills and now it's all better!

Try for yourself....

Peace.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

I found with my GS that it was sometimes near impossible to get it into first or second when its really cold - i find no problems with the gearbox once the car is warmed up.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem on my 1.0 2000 year Yaris. Toyota have got a fix for the problem, it is the cable linkage that has been altered, something regarding tollerences. Has made a difference, gearbox also feels a whole lot better, and now no need to stop at junctions or ram it hard! :)

You try driving a vauxhall even new once and the gear boxes are the crapest of crap. Hard to engage every gear usually doesnt even go in if you wanna do fast changes of lights i.e 1 to 2 nd you have to slow down to engage 2nd. !Removed! stupid. thats why im going jap.

• 2 weeks later...

No problems with mine.

You should have driven my Polo GTI !!!

Now that was a notchy B***Ard with a crap clutch to boot. Even after they fixed it!

DebX

I love my T-Sport.....long live my wee beastie

NOt sure which member it is out there but according to the report given from this post....

------------------------------------------------

Report:

I have the same problem too.When the wheather is cold.

------------------------------------------------

Anyone out there hit the wrong button when trying to repsond ???? :P

A wee bit. 0-60mph in 8.7 sec. But it felt faster just 'cause of the way it drove.

I think the Yaris feels slower at the same speeds and it responds to the accelerator better.

If you let off the accelerator in the GTI it would just keep going till you hit the brakes.

It did however squeak and had a very nasty rattly sound coming from the engine. I tell you I am never trusting advertising again.

Hi,

there is a TSB out for Yaris gearbox (not certain which models, 1.0 LHD for sure), and Toyota will fix your car under warranty... just call your local service center.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links