Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil Loss No Leaks

gottaapicnicortwo

Hi all newbie here,

can any one give some advice, i own a 98 picnic with 40thousand on the clock,

yestrday whilst driving down the m5 the oil level warning light came on, so pulled into services checked oil it was low so topped it up, 40 miles on there was a clatter sound the oil level light came on then smoke from exaust pipe, pulled over quickly , got rac to bring me home, now then:-

1.What damage has been caused

2.why has this happened with 40k on clock (genuine)

3.how much you reckon to fix it & do i use toyota to do this?

Thanks for any help

i thought toyota's was built to last

Dave

That's a low mileage car!!

You only do 4000miles or so a year yes?

Bad news is you've blown your engine. Without looking at the engine can't know exact circumstances of failure but I'll place bets that you've killed it when the oil light came on for the first time. It's just taken the next 40 0r so miles for it to go catastrophicly. Engines don't run so well when there's no oil in the engine. The bearings begin to seize and next thing you know the con-rods are making a bid for freedom.

You're well outside of warranty on the car so pretty pointless going to a Toyota dealer. Find yourself a decent independant and a reconditioned engine. Hate to say it but you're looking in the thousands of pounds margins at least.

Can you post up the service history you had on the car (mileage, dates of service, done at toyota/independant etc.)?

• 6 months later...
Hi all newbie here,

can any one give some advice, i own a 98 picnic with 40thousand on the clock,

yestrday whilst driving down the m5 the oil level warning light came on, so pulled into services checked oil it was low so topped it up, 40 miles on there was a clatter sound the oil level light came on then smoke from exaust pipe, pulled over quickly , got rac to bring me home, now then:-

1.What damage has been caused

2.why has this happened with 40k on clock (genuine)

3.how much you reckon to fix it & do i use toyota to do this?

Thanks for any help

i thought toyota's was built to last

Dave

• 3 months later...

Here in the US Toyota just setteled a class action lawsuit where some makes/models the oil would gel in the engine causing the engine to blow. You can find out the specific makes/models affected at www.oligelsettlement.com.

• 4 weeks later...

Dude, you are so unlucky! I've worked for Toyota for 10 years and never seen inside the engine of a Picnic! That poor car must of had a hard life!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links