Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are You Happy With Your (2003-) Avensis?

Caleguy

Given some of the less than favourable posts on this forum, I wondered what Avensis owners, in general, thought of their vehicles, and whether or not they think Toyota still deserves its good reputation (for build quality, reliability etc.)?

So, are you happy with your (2003 onwards, particularly the 'facelift' model) Avensis, and would you recommend it to others?

TIA.

I've had many Toyotas over the past 15 years or so, and to be honest find that in general the build quality improves with each new model.

I recently replaced my 2004 T2 with a 2007 T3-S. Apart from problems with condensation in the headlights of the T2, I found it to be a very reliable and well built car.

Whilst it's early days, the T3-S looks as though it will be another good car.

Would I recommend the Avensis?

Yes, definitely! :thumbsup:

I'm on my second '03 onwards Avensis, & have been happy with both.

I had a T3-X 2.0 D4D tourer (05 plate) for 6 months, and found it reliable & well put together. I enjoyed driving that, & the family enjoyed being carted around in it. My only real gripe was poor light from the headlamps

In Feb I swapped that for a new T-Spirit 2.2 D4D tourer, & I'm absolutely loving it. the build quality is superb, it feels really robust & there have been no niggles at all. The ride quality has definitely improved (albeit on different wheels & tyres). All told, I wouldn't be planning to move away from the Avensis any time soon.

I'm on my second '03 onwards Avensis, & have been happy with both.

I had a T3-X 2.0 D4D tourer (05 plate) for 6 months, and found it reliable & well put together. I enjoyed driving that, & the family enjoyed being carted around in it. My only real gripe was poor light from the headlamps

In Feb I swapped that for a new T-Spirit 2.2 D4D tourer, & I'm absolutely loving it. the build quality is superb, it feels really robust & there have been no niggles at all. The ride quality has definitely improved (albeit on different wheels & tyres). All told, I wouldn't be planning to move away from the Avensis any time soon.

That was going to be my comment the headlights are terrible but okay if you drive in the city but on country roads they leave a lot to be desired also after getting about 25,000 miles out of the front set of tyres on the old avensis it was a shock to get just 12,000 on the new shape Avensis my driving style had not changed but you do not get much comment about tyres on the forum so perhaps it was me.

Also don't forget most people post when they have had a problem so the content will be a bit anti Toyota

You ask whether the cars are as reliable and well built as in the past I think its more a case other manufacturers have caught up I do not think they are any worse or any better than other car manufacturers and there customer service department at Toyota GB are poor sometimes but that is just my opinion.

But on the plus side the Avensis was recalled for a steering rack recall and customers were given £10 of fuel and a valet and a bottle of champagne

You may want to look at the what car site reader reviews

I bought one of the very first facelift cars in March 03, a 2.0 petrol T-Spirit and it was OK but only just. The engine was never smooth and needed new exhaust valves after 9k miles. The best economy I had was less than 40mpg. The ride was rough and the dashboard rattled. It was generally reliable though.

When I exchanged in 05 for a 2.0L diesel there was a big improvement in build quality. The engine was a bit noisy but very economical and pulled well. The ride was better though I did specify 16" wheels instead of 17".

The latest 07 is really good. Excellent build quality. It feels as though Toyota have listened to customers and it has a good ride without sacrificing handling. The 2.2L diesel is great. Quiet, smooth and 'hello officer'. :oops::laughing:

Pretty classy for the money, and sits almost convincingly in the executive class rather than the sub Mondeo class which I believe it's supposed to be pitched at (prices lower than Mondeo). I was considering another Mercedes, a C class or C coupe, or BMW compact / 3 series but went for the Avensis instead. T4 has nice dual climate control, auto wipers, auto dim mirror and sat nav.

Safety was a main attraction for me with more airbags than you can shake a stick at, and VSC/ABS/traction as standard.

Not a real fan of the optitron lighting as it has educated me to leave my lights on, and I wish the rear hatch would close as deliciously as the doors do, and that anti hijack locking was an user set option. Biggest criticism however is the dim headlights.

Dislike queueing at the 'hole in the wall' shared service and parts desk, prefer the normal individual service desks (and chairs) of the Mercedes / BMW/ Audi and VW dealerships. For some reason Toyota don't seem to have a central database so they can tell from the registration plate what service and work the car has had (only at dealer level, i.e dealer who has performed the work)

Just need an Avensis hybrid now ^_^

Yes I am happy with my 03 T4. It had had its problems with headlight and fog light misting plus warning lights staying on. Mr T sorted all that under warranty. I get decent service from the local Toyota dealer. They collect and deliver my car for service which saves me all the hassle waiting around at the garage.

On some roads the tyre noise is really bad. I have Dunlop tyres; I wonder if Michelins would give a quieter ride.

I am pleased with the MPG I am getting and like uumode said, the safety is very good.

Cheers Chris.

see my post on the older 2001 model in this forum, I wrote it before I saw your post. What a dud. Toyota a sacrificing everything to be the biggest player in the market.

This is my first Toyota, 55 plate 2.0D T3X.

Good points

--------------

Reliable - no major problems so far

Quite quick and reasonably fuel efficient

Comfortable

Servicing costs are OK

Dealers are quite helpfull and polite.

Bad Points

------------

The lights are, frankly, terrible on dipped beam.

The dashboard reflection on the windscreen is bad - much, much worse

than the Vauxhalls, VWs, Fords that I have driven

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clarify, do current (07) Avensis models still suffer from poor headlights (inadequate illumination, as opposed to condensation & melting problems, which I assume have long since been rectified?)?

If so, would a change to the +50% bulbs be worthwhile?

TIA.

My Jan 2005 T2 1.8 Hatchback is my first Toyota and I have mixed feelings about refinement and quality/reliability:

Refinement: Tyre roar is unacceptable and the engine revs are 3000 at 70mph which, although the engine is smooth, is too much for a quiet ride compared to diesels which pull much higher gear ratios and some have 6 speeds.

Qualitywise the rear hatch lift struts failed at 18mths, there is the steering recall, the aircon pipework is leaking and about to be replaced under warranty (cost c.£500) and I worry about the headlights melting. However, I don't drive much at nights so it hasn't happened yet, but I wonder if I should provoke a failure by leaving them on so I don't have those high costs out of warranty. People report that you have to remove the bumper to change the lights which is a ridiculous design. My mate has a Volvo S40 and he can lift out the complete front light assembly in 30 seconds to change to Continental dip.

On the + side , the car is very roomy especially for rear seat passengers and the boot is cavernous. It is very economical and will do nearly 50mpg if you stick to 70 on the motorway. Even round town in the winter on short runs, its never worse that 33mpg which - for a big car - is excellent. I hope I never test all those airbags but its nice to know there are so many.

Just to clarify, do current (07) Avensis models still suffer from poor headlights (inadequate illumination, as opposed to condensation & melting problems, which I assume have long since been rectified?)?

In my opinion, the headlights on the facelifted model are still poor, although I have never driven the 2003-2006 model so don't know if they represent an improvement on that. The illumination is still far worse than the Mondeo I had before.

I bought my 2.2 D4-D new last September - 14k miles on I am still convinced I made the right choice of car. No build quality issues have surfaced and it still drives like it did on day 1, despite two minor shunts. In fact it drives better, because the engine now feels much more powerful as it has loosened up. It's no rocket, especially below 2000rpm, but it's better than it was. It's a really relaxing car to drive, 2000rpm or so in 6th at 70, with cruise control adding to this relaxed feel - but I don't think the CC has that. 50+ mpg is easily achievable. First service was dirt cheap too - £117.

Dislikes - very poor stereo, wish the dashboard lighting wasn't quite so orange, that's about it.

I would wholeheartedly recommend an Avensis, with the caveat that I didn't like the steering on a 1.8 I once test-drove (electric power steering i believe, whilst others are hydraulic). If you want the car at it's relaxing best then a diesel is essential (much lower rpms and effortless power) and I would say that cruise control is very desirable too.

I wrote a lengthy review of the car after 4k miles, and the same opinions still stand. If you are interested then you can find it here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...000+mile+review

I drive a 2005 toyota avensis diesel,am i happy with it !in a word no take a look at my last posts and you will find out why,i suppose its ok if you drive it like an old wrinkley but if you have to drive it to make a living forget it, this is my fourth toyota and i would say its the worst yet.Deakin.

Had the avensis for 18 months. Its never let me down. Its only trip to the dealer outside of service, was for the steering shaft to be changed under the recall. MPG is great for a car of this size. Has for perfomance i find the 1.8 pulls very well. My dads just had a 06 plate facelifted model t3x 1.8 and is very happy with that. he's know on his 3rd avensis. Would i buy another yes, would i tell my mates to have a avensis yes.

Had the avensis for 18 months. Its never let me down. Its only trip to the dealer outside of service, was for the steering shaft to be changed under the recall. MPG is great for a car of this size. Has for perfomance i find the 1.8 pulls very well. My dads just had a 06 plate facelifted model t3x 1.8 and is very happy with that. he's know on his 3rd avensis. Would i buy another yes, would i tell my mates to have a avensis yes.

I have to say then you would be leading your mates up the garden path,your obviously not trying to make a living in your car.Deakin

I drive a 2005 toyota avensis diesel,am i happy with it !in a word no take a look at my last posts and you will find out why,i suppose its ok if you drive it like an old wrinkley but if you have to drive it to make a living forget it, this is my fourth toyota and i would say its the worst yet.Deakin.

Presume you are referring to your gearbox woes? Don't know if you have a duff example, and maybe you have a different gearbox design to my car's, but I have driven at least a few hundred miles in each of the following over the recent past and would draw comparisons with my 2.2 D4-D's 6spd gearbox as follows:

00X Mondeo 1.8 Petrol (my previous car) - much faster, shorter, slicker shift, but easier to mess up through inattention

04 04 Civic 1.6 Petrol - not particularly quick or short, but not bad at all, much lighter change than the Avensis

05 55 Accord 2.2 CTDi - very similar to the Avensis

06 06 Golf 2.0 GT TDi - rough, heavy, baulky, slow - pretty hideous when combined with a much heavier clutch

07 56 Sharan 2.0 TDi - ditto the Golf, unsurprisingly

07 07 Matiz 1.0 - 'nuff said. Fast enough shift, but hard to make a judgment when the rest of the car was so distractingly poor.

Only the Mondeo beats the Avensis hands down, and that was a petrol. Of the comparable cars (ie Golf, Accord, Sharan diesels) only the Accord is as good as the Avensis, the VW boxes are from another world where refinement and slickness does not exist.

I have had my 06 T3-X Tourer 2.2 diesel for a few months now and done about 2.5k miles.

After loosing the will to drive in my Renault Laguna, I forked out for a nearly new Avensis. Not as big a hit on the bank account as I expected considering the amount of car you get. I now have renewed joy in every trip I take and cant wait for the next journey. (sad, but true)

In test driving the diesel Avensis, I drove a T2, T180 and my T3-X. Albeit the T180 was more lively, I did not feel it was that big a deal compared to the 150PS of the T3. I do feel however that there is a marked difference in the interior of a T3-S and the T3-X. IMO the X has a much more refined interior and apparently has more materials for quitening the external noises (engine, road etc). Do you really need Sat-Nav (T3-S)? Would you be better off buying one from Halfords or online somewhere at a fraction of the cost and more easliy upgraded, plotted, moved from one car to another??? Also, there are loads of T3-S for sale because it is used as company reps cars, hire cars and fleet cars - therefore the market price on resale imo is lower than an X, of which there are very few for sale.

I have just returned from a full load 400 mile round trip and returned approx 50mpg. I wasnt crawling or anything, but just driving normally, erm with a small 10 mile "blast" in the country just to remind the turbo why its there. ;o) (out of interest, I get about 42mpg on the semi urban/combined cycle)

I would not say the headlights are an issue. This is a bug bear of mine. I would like the brightest lights available and used to have the 60/100w on a previous car. I looked into buying new powerful bulbs, but turned the lights on for the first time at night and I binned the idea - more than adequate, I thought. I dont suspect anyone has uprated my bulbs.

I would happily recommend the Avensis based on my experience so far as well as the personal research I did prior to my purchase.

I think you will find that a owners club tends to be where people come to either show off their pride n joy to other enthusiasts OR come seek advice/help on their particular issues. I dare say if you google ANY car make for problems you will find a host of lost souls seeking advice. TOC just refines that to a bunch of helpful people who have a similar car and perhaps similar experiences. If only I had read this forum before spending 450 quid on an exhaust for my Laguna because someone in the TOC mentioned an online retailer that could have supplied the lot for less than half that, delivered! Take note of the issues, but they wont all happen to your car 2 days after purchase. (gulp I hope not ! ;o) ).

Also, I have the Celica GT 94 model that looks as good as the day she was built. Every year she cruises though MOT and service and no reliaility issues. I still think Toyota make them as good as that.

I hope this helps.

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone else has already pointed out, a lot of the posts on this forum are when people have problems so they will come across as anti-Toyota, but don't let that fool you - I've been buying T's since the early 80's and to be honest I would not trust any other marque unless it was also Japanese.

Now, if only Morgan produced a Toyota-engined car.... :mellow:

i owned a 2001 1.8vvt avensis for 5 years with no problems except for the yearley service untill the steering rack started to grone(£900 to replace at mr t) i was persuaded to upgrade to a 1.8 t3x.

In eight months of ownership just a few of the faults were as follows

headrest fell apart

new handbrake cables needed

new clutch needed(faulty pressure plate)

steering recall

locks refused to operate

drivers seat cusion collapsed

other various rattles and squeakes

all the above in less than 22000 miles

mr t used to make good solid reliable cars but not so much now.Enough was enough and i now drive a mondeo tdci 130 which makes the toyota oil burners (except180)seam like a John Deer.mr t has to do something to regain the trust and loyalty of the many people i know who have left toyota in the last year

I have an '03 T3-X 1.8 automatic. Love the car.

Good points:

1. Auto box - better than the Mercedes auto I had previously

2. Comfort - long journeys no problem

3. Stereo - excellent quality

4. Space - fits luggage for 3 adults and child and bikes on rack on back

5. MPG - can get an indicated 39mpg with above load on motorways at constant 70-80mph. Get low 30's/ high 20's around town.

6. Safety

7. Quiet - Bridgestone ER30 205/55 on 16" alloys. Tyres £76 from Mytyres

Bad points:

1. Terrible dipped beam - had fitted +50% bulbs, but not much difference. At next service going to get garage to raise the dipped beam height to maximum allowed, as the RH beam points to about 20 feet in front of car.

2. Dumped engine coolent due to incorrectly factory fitted hosepipe clip. No problems following this.

3. Replacement rear light cluster as it was full of water

4. Brake shims fitted to stop squeeling when coming to a stop

5. Steering rack recall

6. Hatchback struts "sticky" in hot weather

7. A few bits of trim were restuck by dealer

Starting to do more mileage and would love an Avensis diesel automatic!! Listening Mr. T?

Starting to do more mileage and would love an Avensis diesel automatic!! Listening Mr. T?

Now that's a very good point. Mr T does not seem interested in what I think of his product (and probably isn't!). Why do car manufacturers not ask the opinion of those who buy their products? How do they know they are improving the product without asking what owners think are the weak points?

Given some of the less than favourable posts on this forum, I wondered what Avensis owners, in general, thought of their vehicles, and whether or not they think Toyota still deserves its good reputation (for build quality, reliability etc.)?

So, are you happy with your (2003 onwards, particularly the 'facelift' model) Avensis, and would you recommend it to others?

TIA.

hi i am a new avensis owner 03 plate t-spirit 2ltr black 30500 miles on the clock and i think this is one of the best car i have ever bought my only complaint / moan is when you take your foot ooo of the gas the gear stick vibrates a wee bit then stops or stops when you put the gas back on :thumbsup:

I have had a T180 Tourer since October 2006. I'm now approaching 26,000 miles and continue to be delighted with the car. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a '53 plate Avensis T3-S auto.

Good points:

1. Comfortable Cruiser

2. Handling is surprisingly good (16 inch Vredensteins)

3. Engine and transmission are smooth

4. Roomy both back and front

5. Nice stereo

6. Quite good fuel economy

7. Excellent boot space

Bad points:

1. Tyre noise (no--its not the tyres--they are rated among the quietest on the planet) deafening compared with the Camry and my old HiLux pick-up. Shortcuts taken on sound insulation?

2. Interior fit and finish sub-par for a Toyota, door storage bins rattle and are very thin, large gaps in some areas.

3. Annoying rattle in dash (now fixed by Toyota as a known problem)

4. Petrol cap remote broken, front headlamp has condensation, aircon leak, headlamps sub-par on low beam.

5. Toyota UK is not the same as Toyota--they are distributors and this may reflect in the lower standard of service and customer care in relation to making sure the owner is happy. IN the UK we appear to have a second tier of marketing, "middle man," which may account for the high prices we pay for cars in the UK. My last Camry, bought in the US was under 10k pounds ($19,800) and it was a mid-level "LE" model with automatic, air con, power everything.

Buy another?

I have owned 6 Toyotas (4 Camrys, MR-2 Mk. II, HiLux P/U--all met or exceeded expectations and were fault free except my '91 Camry Estate with 2 litre / automatic which blew the transmission at 106k--my next 3 cars after that experience were all Honda Accords/Prelude and all fault-free!) before my Avensis and I must say that my confidence in the brand has taken quite a knock. However, it is basically a good car and may prove itself in the years ahead. Its a wait and see.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links