Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Supra Owner

aydena

I have just bought my first supra, its a 1989 3.0i manual Mk1 i presume ? anyway paid very little money for it and have a few problems with it :unsure:

1st. When i picked it up it wouldn't start we traced this to the 15a fuse for the EFI, so replaced it and all was fine just put this down to the fuel tank being nearly empty so got some fuel aswell done about 15 miles on the motorway and came off the slipway when it cut out and wouldn't restart, got out and found that the EFI fuse had blown again, replaced it and drove to the nearest fuel station and as i put the clutch down it went down to idle and cut out again and funnily enough the same fuse had blown :crybaby: , put some more fuel in and it done it once more before i parked it up and came inside, now could this have anything to do with the misfire it has due to the leads being %$(ed ? or is it a case of the fuel pump on its way out or something more sinister ? :wacko:

Cheers

Ayden

That is a mkiii supra ;)

I can't say what would be popping the fuse, I would just go over the wiring plugs etc and make sure all is well, It hasn't had any aftermarket gear bodge connected to the ECU has it?

As for the misfire, pull the plug leads off the plugs and check for oil in the plug chambers, common cause! I'd also change all oil and flush out coolant (I only use toyota 4 life red premixed) check the rad cap for proper operation etc. (coolant systems tend to be neglected)

That is a mkiii supra ;)

I can't say what would be popping the fuse, I would just go over the wiring plugs etc and make sure all is well, It hasn't had any aftermarket gear bodge connected to the ECU has it?

As for the misfire, pull the plug leads off the plugs and check for oil in the plug chambers, common cause! I'd also change all oil and flush out coolant (I only use toyota 4 life red premixed) check the rad cap for proper operation etc. (coolant systems tend to be neglected)

Hasn't had any Mods as far as i know, i have just bought some new HT leads to see if this cures the misfiring and hopefully the fuse popping :blink: , any tips on how to change the leads ? it seems as if they run under the throttle body :wacko:

Cheers

Hi ya - you say it hasnt had any mods ,

the fuse popping sounds to me like some sort of electrical mod has been done to the car - bodged, found out it didnt work and not be taken out correctly - check for any wireing that doesnt look like it should be there, any wires coming through the holes in the bulk head from behind the dash.

only saying because i found four on my MKII were somebody had tried to fit extra dials - oil pressure etc and made a right pigs ear of it. :angry:

Hi ya - you say it hasnt had any mods ,

the fuse popping sounds to me like some sort of electrical mod has been done to the car - bodged, found out it didnt work and not be taken out correctly - check for any wireing that doesnt look like it should be there, any wires coming through the holes in the bulk head from behind the dash.

only saying because i found four on my MKII were somebody had tried to fit extra dials - oil pressure etc and made a right pigs ear of it. :angry:

The only thing i know of is that it had an alarm which was disconected, althought the sounder is still there the L.e. in the cockpit and the sensors either side of the windscreen ??

It has been suggested it could be something to do with the oil pressure or low oil whats the oil pressure supposed to be at idle, hot and cold ? , but looking at the fuse today it only pops after the car has cut out, i.e. you can hear the revs getting lower and just as it cuts out it blows the fuse.

Thanks

Ayden

Oil presure is not linked to anything electronicly at all, apart from the oil presure guage, oil level is only measured in late 91 on cars, and is only connected to the oil level warning light on the dash, so it won't be that.

Presure depends on oil etc. a healthy 7M should give a cold start up oil presure of about 40-60 psi on 10W-40, less when warm.

You need to remove the Throttle body to change the plugs/leads! Its a bit of a PITA but fairly simple.

Oil presure is not linked to anything electronicly at all, apart from the oil presure guage, oil level is only measured in late 91 on cars, and is only connected to the oil level warning light on the dash, so it won't be that.

Presure depends on oil etc. a healthy 7M should give a cold start up oil presure of about 40-60 psi on 10W-40, less when warm.

You need to remove the Throttle body to change the plugs/leads! Its a bit of a PITA but fairly simple.

Yea i managed to change the leads :yahoo: a PITA like you said but yes very simple :thumbsup:

Where abouts is the idle motor ?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links