Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1990 Camry Stalling..new Issue!

Guest bmdillons

Guest bmdillons

Please help...i own a 1990 toyota camry LE ALL TRAC and been having this issue for over a month cant figure it out...i was driving and all of a sudden one day the car started spuddering when i was coming to a stop light then all of a sudden stalled and havnt been able to get it started now it keeps stalling as soon as i try to start it..it may start for about a sec or two then stalls right out...then if it does start and stay as soon as i berally evan touch the gas pedal it stalls out..i cant figure it out...

Things i have replaced and cleaned:::

Fuel Pump (was bad before)

Fuel Filter

Spark Plugs

Distributer and wires

Air Filter

Cleaned out the EGR Valve and Vacuum

Please help i need my car back thank you so much!!

Hi there, These sort of faults are sometimes very difficult to trace.All I can do is give you and a friend of mine our experiences of a similar nature.We both have Camry 1.8GL's his a 1983 and mine a 1984,both with standard petrol engines without fuel injection. After about 55,000 miles mine started playing up with stalling then refusing to start unless left for a while then starting normally.I took it into the garage who kept it for a couple of days but could not replicate the fault.It eventually gave upon me whilst on an outing and I couldn't get it started again.The RAC,which is one of our major breakdown services diagnosed some sort of electrical problem probably in the distributor.It was relayed to the nearest Toyota garage.It was the ignition moduler(igniter)that had gone.This is a tiny electronic component in the distributor that affects the ht spark quality I beleive.Ironically my friend had exactly the same problem with his.It could be that the power transistor had failed inside the igniter but also from other postings it has been found to be a problem with the ignition coil.details on how to test both of these can be found in the Haynes manual for 1983 to 1991 gasolene engine models ISBN 1 56392 030 1.More detailed fault diagnosis can be found in Toyotas own Engine Repair Manual which covers the 1S,1S-E,2S,2S-C,2S-E,3S-FE,and 3S-GE engines,book Publication no RM051E Aug 1986 which may be a little bit early for your model unless it has one of the engines listed.The manuals are extremely extensive and are used by the garages themselves for fault diagnosis and are available to buy by the general public,and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I think I paid about £30 sterling for mine back in 1993 mind you.Hope you find my comments useful.I would be very interested to see how you get on.Where are you from by the way,I don't mean in detail of course?All the best Graham.C.

Hi there. Please ignore my request about your location as I forgot to look at your profile before typing my reply.I see your from Pennsylvania USA, I'm from sunny Bournemouth in the UK myself.GOOD LUCK Graham.C. :thumbsup:

Guest bmdillons

is the certain parts on the EGR valve that can not have any fluids in it?? i used brake cleaner to clean it out and i got cleaner in where the valve is (the pump thing) just chjecking..im gonna be replacing that part in a few days

:censor: It's a pitty you don't live in the UK. I could sell you a perfect example of the Camry (1993) Very low milage!! :censor:

Hi there. Please ignore my request about your location as I forgot to look at your profile before typing my reply.I see your from Pennsylvania USA, I'm from sunny Bournemouth in the UK myself.GOOD LUCK Graham.C. :thumbsup:

Hi again I,m not very familiar with the exhaust emissions control system.However according to the Haynes manual which I would highly recommend getting a copy it states that if the EGR valve is 'sticking or clogged with heavy carbon deposits, replace it' Not sure its a good idea using brake fluid as it could get into the combustion chamber,not good news.Why not use petrol as a cleaning agent instead,which will evaporate. Have you read my comments on my experience with an ignition module(igniter) problem? Graham from Bournemouth UK :rolleyes:

Guest bmdillons

ok i finally figures out what was wrong with my stupid car..we tracked it down to the Fuel pump going bad..(just replaced it not that long ago and it already went out again :censor: and my Mass Air Flow sensor is shorting out so gotta get a new one..but my question is im having a hard time finding a used fuel pump for my 1990 toyota camry..and was wondering if anyone new if there was compatible fuel pumps from other vehicles that i could use SAFLY!! thank you

• 2 months later...
ok i finally figures out what was wrong with my stupid car..we tracked it down to the Fuel pump going bad..(just replaced it not that long ago and it already went out again :censor: and my Mass Air Flow sensor is shorting out so gotta get a new one..but my question is im having a hard time finding a used fuel pump for my 1990 toyota camry..and was wondering if anyone new if there was compatible fuel pumps from other vehicles that i could use SAFLY!! thank you

I would try to find out why the fuel pump is dieing,but you could try eBay or kijiji not sure if that site is american or only canadian.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links