Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Indicators Gone Nuts! Avensis 1998 1.6

ColinC

My parent have a 98 Avensis estate, and recently the indicators have gone complete bonkers! The mechanic couldn't fix it and said it could be a complex electrical problem, so currently they are driving with dodgy indicators (not always a good idea).

Basically - if you put on an indicator, sometimes the "tick" sound made by the indicator will go at a much faster pace than is normal. If you check outside the car, the indicator isn't lighting up at all.

The bulbs are fine. And sometimes the indicators *do* work. But mostly they don't.

If anyone has any advice we'd be really grateful.

By the way, our old 1990 Carina which has 290,000 miles never had any problems like this :)

My parent have a 98 Avensis estate, and recently the indicators have gone complete bonkers! The mechanic couldn't fix it and said it could be a complex electrical problem, so currently they are driving with dodgy indicators (not always a good idea).

Basically - if you put on an indicator, sometimes the "tick" sound made by the indicator will go at a much faster pace than is normal. If you check outside the car, the indicator isn't lighting up at all.

The bulbs are fine. And sometimes the indicators *do* work. But mostly they don't.

If anyone has any advice we'd be really grateful.

By the way, our old 1990 Carina which has 290,000 miles never had any problems like this :)

Check out the indicator relay.

Had a similar problem on my Carina E. Only happened when started from cold. First time I'd try to use the indicator they would 'freeze' but the noise from the dash was as you described. The solution was to switch the hazard warning lights on momentarily. This seemed to re-set the relay and the indicator lights worked thereafter without problem. Never got round to changing the relay as this problem only occurred every now and then.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links