Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Car Seats

ffiscool

Hi, has anyone else suffered discomfort from the drivers seat? it is giving me shoulder and neck ache.. shame as i Love the car. having had a corolla for 3 years, I never thought that another Toyota would cause me an issue...

Just interested in anyone's thoughts

Hi, has anyone else suffered discomfort from the drivers seat? it is giving me shoulder and neck ache.. shame as i Love the car. having had a corolla for 3 years, I never thought that another Toyota would cause me an issue...

Just interested in anyone's thoughts

This is worrying, I've not yet ordered mine yet and the last thing I need is neck ache as I have on going issues with my neck :crybaby:

I'm extremely comfortable in mine, i have no aches or pains anywhere and i drive about 2 hours a day in mine - more comfortable than most cars. I think the driving position is great.

In your case i think you could have your seat too high. I have mine set at about 2 notches up from the lowest setting to the floor and its perfect. I also have it very upright so i'm sort of 90 degrees but i can rest my head back on the head rest and i'm still sitting up straight. I find the seat very high and far too high when its any more than 2 - 4 notches up from its lowest setting.

May feel strange to start with but soon becomes v.comfortable. Having the seat Lower down allows your arms to be inline with the wheel at 90degress, your legs are not pointing down to the pedals but more diagnal/horizontal but is better for blood flow. Lower down every is just more inline but this is for the average 6ft tall person. You may feel the need to have a seat position up high because of the poor bonnet visibility and the deceptively spacious roof.

thanks for that. i do have it quite high up, prob because also a deeper dash than the corolla, which i loved. i am 5'6" so will try a bit lower. what position do you have the wheel in?

when i went to the back shop today, they said it was unusual to see a seat with the middle section out a bit, rather than caved in with just the sides as support

if it doesnt improve though i will prob sell it, although i will lose loads :-(

I'm extremely comfortable in mine, i have no aches or pains anywhere and i drive about 2 hours a day in mine - more comfortable than most cars. I think the driving position is great.

In your case i think you could have your seat too high. I have mine set at about 2 notches up from the lowest setting to the floor and its perfect. I also have it very upright so i'm sort of 90 degrees but i can rest my head back on the head rest and i'm still sitting up straight. I find the seat very high and far too high when its any more than 2 - 4 notches up from its lowest setting.

May feel strange to start with but soon becomes v.comfortable. Having the seat Lower down allows your arms to be inline with the wheel at 90degress, your legs are not pointing down to the pedals but more diagnal/horizontal but is better for blood flow. Lower down every is just more inline but this is for the average 6ft tall person. You may feel the need to have a seat position up high because of the poor bonnet visibility and the deceptively spacious roof.

dont worry, as i am sure i am in the minority - have you test driven it? make sure you do for an hour or so... i didnt :-(

This is worrying, I've not yet ordered mine yet and the last thing I need is neck ache as I have on going issues with my neck :crybaby:

vac6_tn.gif

my seat's really comfy. like oldsko01 said try altering your height and the steering wheel height. i used to have a corsa with probably the most uncomfortable car seats ever made, there was a steel bar either side of your legs in the seat and they dug in. the auris seats dont give me any aches or pains even when im out using it all day for work doing site visits.

you get to the point when once you ache, anything seems wrong.

i will give it a go and alter downwards. i initially thought it was because i was low that i was stretching my neck forward

how tall are you? just interested cos oldsko01 is 6ft

i bought a lumbar cushion today to see how that goes.. really dont want to get rid of it.

the corolla seats for me were fab - i love this auris shape but shame they discontinued the corolla i think

my seat's really comfy. like oldsko01 said try altering your height and the steering wheel height. i used to have a corsa with probably the most uncomfortable car seats ever made, there was a steel bar either side of your legs in the seat and they dug in. the auris seats dont give me any aches or pains even when im out using it all day for work doing site visits.

thank you, me too

i just spoke to toyota where i bought it - as i wondered the possibility of putting a corolla seat into it.. as although auris is wider etc and different, the seat may be same. they werent sure due to airbags etc and will speak to technical tomorrow

i also asked how much i would get if i did sell and buy a corolla - there are some with virtually no mileage on still around, and i know i would lose when i sell in say 3 years time - as it wont be wanted when there are the auris's around, but comfort has got to come over money i guess :crybaby: although it is gutting

my friend said i have become obsessive about the seat, which i have, but back ache is back ache - the corolla seems so staid next to the auris

i will try diff heights for a bit and the back cushions i have bought, as i cant do much until next weekend anyway

thanks all for your replies and any other thoughts gratefull appreciated

shame i dont know where my corolla is, i could have bought it back

if i dont sort, anyone want to buy my auris?? lol

im 6ft1. so i guess thats no help. hope you manage to sort it cos its a cracking car.

With your height it may suit to have the seat 5 or so notches up as a guess. This guide is good: http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report...&EL=3159806

Click on the link that says "Windows Media Player Video" on that page

Its a basic but good guide to at least set the seating correctly. As i said in my experience, i drive toyota's, came from a corolla, various types, a T3, T-Sport and Compressor all of those three where similar and our Rav4 is different again. When i bought my T180 Auris it was completely different, i did suffer some discomfort for a day but i soon sorted it out. As mentioned i personally found the seat far too high and having it so high i felt i was slanting down to the steering wheel which is no good for circulation. in fact the first thing i did when i got in the demo was lower it to its lowest position, it is just deceptive because you can't see the bonnet and the roof is high so you automatically feel you want to be higher too. My dad felt this need too, he put the seat right up despite owning in the lowest and longest Mercedes ever.

I soon sorted it out and have been comfortable ever since, more so than the corolla. Peoples posture and bodies are different so i imagine that you are having difficulty allowing your posture to adjust but i'm sure if you try it lower down, back rest up quite straight, 10/15 degrees off vertical, the steering wheel at a comfortable reach and in the centre of your body, also looking mid-height out of the windscreen, not too high you'll be fine.

Experiment because the Auris is a much, much better car than the corolla.

[Thank you so much... i will play around a bit more. i reckon there is a niche in the market for someone to be a car seat adviser and go round to people

:thumbsup:

Click on the link that says "Windows Media Player Video" on that page

Its a basic but good guide to at least set the seating correctly. As i said in my experience, i drive toyota's, came from a corolla, various types, a T3, T-Sport and Compressor all of those three where similar and our Rav4 is different again. When i bought my T180 Auris it was completely different, i did suffer some discomfort for a day but i soon sorted it out. As mentioned i personally found the seat far too high and having it so high i felt i was slanting down to the steering wheel which is no good for circulation. in fact the first thing i did when i got in the demo was lower it to its lowest position, it is just deceptive because you can't see the bonnet and the roof is high so you automatically feel you want to be higher too. My dad felt this need too, he put the seat right up despite owning in the lowest and longest Mercedes ever.

I soon sorted it out and have been comfortable ever since, more so than the corolla. Peoples posture and bodies are different so i imagine that you are having difficulty allowing your posture to adjust but i'm sure if you try it lower down, back rest up quite straight, 10/15 degrees off vertical, the steering wheel at a comfortable reach and in the centre of your body, also looking mid-height out of the windscreen, not too high you'll be fine.

Experiment because the Auris is a much, much better car than the corolla.

I recently took an advanced driving course at work. The recommended driving position i was told is where you can depress the clutch pedal without stretching (make sure the clutch is fully depressed when moving seat to ensure this) your arms should be bent at a 90 degree angle at the elbow when holding the steering wheel and you should hold the steering wheel at the 10 to 2 position. Try it, i am constantly jumping in and out of different vehicles every day at work and can manage to adjust the seat to a comfortable position by following these simple steps

thank you...

i have a back cushion thing now which is helping a bit, as i think its the back of the seat - and my particular body. i am used to seats that are flat at the back and almost cave away, the corolla was good for me.

but the auris, seems to have a bit that slightly juts and isnt flat. of course, i didnt detect this on the test drive

am trying to get used to the back cushion although i would love to be able to sink into the seat at times, so it may be that this car is just not right for me

i have lowered the seat right down and also the steering wheel so i am at almost 10 to 2, but more 9 to 3

what about the angle of back? what do you find works best?

again, thanks for this

I recently took an advanced driving course at work. The recommended driving position i was told is where you can depress the clutch pedal without stretching (make sure the clutch is fully depressed when moving seat to ensure this) your arms should be bent at a 90 degree angle at the elbow when holding the steering wheel and you should hold the steering wheel at the 10 to 2 position. Try it, i am constantly jumping in and out of different vehicles every day at work and can manage to adjust the seat to a comfortable position by following these simple steps

I find the best angle for the back is about 10 or 15 degrees behind vertical, so it supports you and ensures you sit up straight. Enough that you concentrate with your head forward but you can also relax your head back into the head rest and still see properly. Maybe about a 5-10 cm gap between the back of your head and the headrest (at a guess).

I too have come from a corolla to an auris TR and my initial impressions are similar to ffiscool in that I have had minor lower back ache after driving for an hour or so. I did not get this in the corolla as I always found the seat very comfortable. I am a 6ft male and generally sit at the lowest position. Fortunately, I do not regularly drive long distances so not a major problem for me. I will continue to monitor and post further

So how's it going with the back ache??

I will be having a longer test drive in a couple of weeks when I'm off for a fortnight, see if I can have the car for half a day or a whole day :)

hiya, well i thought i was doing SO well at the weekend. I tried the back cushion but it was too thick so i felt i wasnt in control of the car. althought the shoulders hurt much less... so something that keeps my back away from the seat is obv good and the seat being lower is definitely better, thanks to all of you for that

so i took the cushion back and bought a padded thing from Halfords which has slight padding and also a bit like a lilo which cushions you from the firmness of the seat. i was off work monday, so i couldnt tell what did it but by yesterday at work, shoulders and neck hurt again

ok its work seat you will think, but this has been fine for yonks and health and safety checked. so by not using the back cushion obv did it

however, i am not giving up on this car yet...i love the decuma grey and how it looks and everything about it, so now trying a lumbar roll thing.. the one that was lent to me is a bit firm too.. will try the medium one

also spoke to some upholsterers, a toyota dealer gave me their number as they use them a lot and app a lot of dealers do

they might be able to slightly pad the back so that its flatter and also will soften it

SO anyone worrying about all this, dont.. i am sure it is me and the car and not just the car!!

but i did sit in a mazda at wknd and it was SO comfy.. i might test drive one - feel a traitor even thinking it at the mo

I think my problem is that the lower seat seems to have a "roll/bulbous" effect and I can't seem to sink into the seat as I would want to. I think the lower seat is too firm but i hope that it will give a bit in time. Also my vehicle was supplied with all 4 tyres set at 55-57 psi - the the factory/delivery presuure - and were not deflated correctly to the normal pressure. By chance, i spotted this and deflated them. Perhaps the ride will soften a bit now and help my back! - I like the car so far and sincerely hope the seat issue does not ruin it for me. I have to ask though why change the seat design so much from the corolla as they were the most comfortable seats I have sat in. Now I am thinking how could the designers have got it so wrong. Perhaps it is just me or my back not liking the design of the seat!!!!!!!

i agree about not sinking into the seat as you will see from my previous comments on this.

i also agree re the corolla and even though talking about test driving a mazda, am considering the corolla again, that is maybe only 6 months old. it worries me, were the seats the same as the one i had in 04.... i couldnt go through this again

reading some reports on the 06/07 seats, some said rough, some said not comfy

but no, its not just you, and i dont think we will be the only two.

i know loads on here are happy with it, but i really think they are too firm and hard and i am suffering too much with my back now

shame my original dealer isnt ringing me back despite 3 calls this week to them. obviously needs a visit

I think my problem is that the lower seat seems to have a "roll/bulbous" effect and I can't seem to sink into the seat as I would want to. I think the lower seat is too firm but i hope that it will give a bit in time. Also my vehicle was supplied with all 4 tyres set at 55-57 psi - the the factory/delivery presuure - and were not deflated correctly to the normal pressure. By chance, i spotted this and deflated them. Perhaps the ride will soften a bit now and help my back! - I like the car so far and sincerely hope the seat issue does not ruin it for me. I have to ask though why change the seat design so much from the corolla as they were the most comfortable seats I have sat in. Now I am thinking how could the designers have got it so wrong. Perhaps it is just me or my back not liking the design of the seat!!!!!!!

I drive Auris everyday at work and dont find them uncomfortable at all.

re the tyre pressures - i would give the car a good check over because if they havent set the correct tyre pressures on pdi, what else have they not checked...

underbody plugs, wheel nut torque, sump plug, gearbox oil, seatbelts etc etc etc etc??????

If i pdi'd a car and it came back with the incorrect tyre pressures i would be in deep S@$T and no bonus!!!!

Mart.

i think like any car, some will find it ok and some will not

having said that, the seats are much firmer/harder than anything i have driven before and i certainly dont remember the test drive being like that. perhaps they had slightly softer seats. anyway, the thing i find unusual about the seats and i dont know if for those of us who do have a problem, it is contributory or not - but most cars, the back of the seats are flat and slightly curved away, so you can sink into the back. on the Auris, the middle whilst flat, juts out slightly from the sides, so the whole of your back is not supported, and because they are firm, i would think this is why i am getting the issues i am.

i do wonder at the design of these, when no others have this currently on the market

re the tyre pressures - i would give the car a good check over because if they havent set the correct tyre pressures on pdi, what else have they not checked...

underbody plugs, wheel nut torque, sump plug, gearbox oil, seatbelts etc etc etc etc??????

If i pdi'd a car and it came back with the incorrect tyre pressures i would be in deep S@$T and no bonus!!!!

Mart.

another thought, which a friend came up with and did semi cross my mind

when i test drove the auris, i asked if the same as i would be buying and told definitely yes... same engine, same everything except the entry button rather than key... and diff air con - mine has knobs and the higher had flat with sections to press in - otherwise he said same car.. same engine etc etc

but my friend said, that for eg on his vectra, his model has more rachets and adjustments on the seat for the position of back and height than the basic model

does anyone know if then the T spirit or 180 has additional seating positions? i know it was one of these i drove - perhaps i could have that seat instead

Mart.

Thanks - re the tyre pressures - the same thought went through my head - have they missed anything else/have they done the pdi - I am still waiting for the pdi form - I will have to follow up further! - Is there any checks/visible signs of other items that may not have been pdi'd as I can't see anything obvious that not right!

I've never had problems with any car - but I did start my motoring life in Mini's, so comfort really was never an issue.

A relative of mine had serious back problems several years ago. He's fine now, but can only drive Vauxhalls as just about every other car seat is majorly uncomfortable to him !

I would have thought that with all the tuneability/adjustability on modern car seats that there would be a dialable position to suit everyone.

I agree but i think once something becomes aggravated, then anything hurts, if that makes sense. i seem to be ok if i dont have to lift my arms, so have altered the seat accordingly and i am sure that bit is ok, but i do find the seats incredibly hard and they almost push me forward, forcing my shoulders back into a bad position.

i will try a few other lumbar supports before i give up, so that i am not resting on the back of the seat and will go to the upholsterers that one of the toyota dealerx recommended to see if that can solve it

i dont want to give up mainly financial but also car wise, but discomfort is horrible and my corolla was lovely. i have been driving 30 years and never had a prob before now..

I've never had problems with any car - but I did start my motoring life in Mini's, so comfort really was never an issue.

A relative of mine had serious back problems several years ago. He's fine now, but can only drive Vauxhalls as just about every other car seat is majorly uncomfortable to him !

I would have thought that with all the tuneability/adjustability on modern car seats that there would be a dialable position to suit everyone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links