Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Key And Programming

remital

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2001 RAV4 NRG VVTi auto. It came with only one master key and a sub key. I have searched the forums regarding the best way to obtain a new master key. So I have purchased a second hand key and a new blank off e-bay. I fitted the two button control into the blank blade and had it cut. This now opens the doors, glove box manually and fits the ignition and turns the engine over but of course it will not start.(all this at a fraction of the cost quoted by Toyota for just a new key)

Now can anyone help regarding the programming? Does the method below just programme the remote door locks and not the transponder, or does it do that as well so the car will start??

1. Start with the following conditions: You are in the driver’s seat.

a. Key is out of the ignition

b. Driver door is open (all other doors closed)

c. Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter)

2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition twice within 5 seconds.

3. Close and open the driver’s door twice within 40 seconds.

4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

5. Close and open the driver’s door twice within 40 seconds.

6. Insert the key into the ignition.

7. Close the door

8. Turn the key in the ignition on and then off.

9. Remove the key from the ignition.

10. The power locks should automatically cycle once to indicate that you have successfully entered program mode.

11. Within 40 seconds of the entering program mode.

a. Press both transmitter lock and unlock buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY for a duration of from 1 to 1.5 seconds.

b. Within 3 seconds, press the transmitter lock button for more than 1 second and release.

c. If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will automatically cycle once. If they cycle twice, the remote has not been accepted.

d. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C.

12. Open the driver's door.

I have read that this either works, or can leave the car disabled. Who is right?? This being the reason I have not tried it. Or do I take it to Toyota if they can programme a second hand key that is.

:unsure::rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links