Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Vvti

i30i3i3y

Hi,

Just wanted some advice on this car. From what I understand the 2003 onwards models have a 6 speed manual transmission, is this correct? Or is it only for SMT?

How strongly would you recommend the hardtop? Can I expect to get the 38mpg stated on Parkers? Mainly motorway driving. Would the 6 speed make any significant difference?

Will hopefully pick one up in the coming months, just wanted to do some homework here first :D.

TIA

Bobby

I have a 2005 model.. 6 speed manual.

Fuel consumption - you can expect descent/good value for your £ (6th gear helps with this on the motorway)

Hardtop - I would recommend it, I picked mine up 2nd hand.. so haven't got the aircon that comes as standard with a hardtop fitted in the factory. Hardtop will also help protect the roof during the frosty winter months.

The only serious potential problem could be an issue with the pre-cats.. these are inside the exhaust header (manifold) they are made from ceramic and can on occasion brake up and destroy the engine, but.. don't let it put you off as there is a simple fix.

I'm going to save myself a lot of explaining by postin a link that will be very usefull to you..........

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11393

As I said.. don't let it put you off.. the cars are fantastic fun.. I wouldn't change mine.

I've gone ahead and bought one! :D

I just went down to the dealers to have a look and possibly a test drive, after the test drive I was sold! The car lived up to every expectation and more.

Ended up getting an MR2 Red. Looks absolutely awesome! Sable Grey with bright Red interior. Pick it up wednesday.

Only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the lack of hardtop (so many people on the net say it's essential in the winter). How do soft tops fare in the winter? Is it really that bad? Aircon I can live without, never used it in my Avensis anyways.

Any idea how much I'd be looking at to retrofit a hardtop onto my mr2? Can it even be done on the Red special edition ones?

Can't wait till Wednesday!

I've gone ahead and bought one! :D

I just went down to the dealers to have a look and possibly a test drive, after the test drive I was sold! The car lived up to every expectation and more.

Ended up getting an MR2 Red. Looks absolutely awesome! Sable Grey with bright Red interior. Pick it up wednesday.

Only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the lack of hardtop (so many people on the net say it's essential in the winter). How do soft tops fare in the winter? Is it really that bad? Aircon I can live without, never used it in my Avensis anyways.

Any idea how much I'd be looking at to retrofit a hardtop onto my mr2? Can it even be done on the Red special edition ones?

Can't wait till Wednesday!

Hi there,The hard top is not essential in winter but WHAT A DIFFERANCE IT MAKES!!!

Our roadster was bought without one as a previous owner had sold it as a seperate item so it was already fitted with the required fittings, ie the chrome rear hooks,side clamps and wiring for the rear window.

However, this time last year we saw one on eBay and got it for £700 which is the going price S/H.

We even managed to get it in silver which suits the chilli red very well,(the price as a new option was I belive about £2000!!.

It sounds expensive but it is a major piece of kit, forget 1970`s MG`s etc. It consists of a grp outer Shell with a bonded in rear screen (heated and full width), a layer of sound insulation and then the head lining.

When it is clamped on to the car it converts the roadster to a coupe, the rear vision is improved and the car is much quieter, (in the words of Eric Morcombe, you cant see the join!!)

It`s a two person job to fit as it is quite heavy but it only takes 30 secs.

The folding top in effect becomes a parcel shelf behind the seats (nothing to heavy though).Our first winter was without and was ok , but last year was with, and wow, what a difference!!

I don`t think you can get new ones easily now, but if you get a s/h one you will need the fittings to go with it which i think are still avail from TOYOTA pt no 63201-17231.

Don`t let anyone tell you you can get by without the side clamp pillars, these lock the whole top down to the car and it would be very risky to do without them.

Good luck and well done Bob. :) :)

Congratulations on your new car Bobby, a wise decision indeed ;)

I have had my Roadster for five years now and never had a hard top. As long as you look after the hood it will never be a problem :yes:

Check out the hint's & Tips HERE for useful information :thumbsup:

ROADSTER IN WINTER

December.jpg

ROADSTER IN SUMMER

2Sunset003.jpg

HAPPY ROADSTER :lol:

MR2004.jpg

Thanks GIDDLEPIN.

That's some pretty useful information there. As fortune favours the prepared mind :D, how do you fix the soft top ears problem and would that repair kit work on a red soft top?

If you have an "ear" problem, it depends on the cause. :yes:

Is the bridging strap missing?

Are the poppers weak and fail to hold?

Is the strap located correctly?

Have the two outer straps been torn off?

I'm not sure if the material is the same for red tops :wacko:....Is it more of a cloth than a vinyl?, even so I don't know if a red coloured repair kit is available :huh:

Les

Edit* Might be possible on the red roof repair looking at the colour pots in this thread :thumbsup:CLICKY

Edited by GIDDLEPIN

How would you recommend dealing with light scratches on the dash? (the smooth bit above the centre air vents)

I picked up my mr2 today and it does seem to have the ears problem. the strap wasn't connected, after connecting it it still has the same problem. I'll take some pics and post tommorow. The folded roof doesn't look as neat as in your pic.

I've come across a couple of hardtops on eBay and was wondering if they're all the same? As in will a pre facelift hardtop fit on a post facelift MR2? I'm very tempted to get a hardtop if the price is right.

I've come across a couple of hardtops on ebay and was wondering if they're all the same? As in will a pre facelift hardtop fit on a post facelift MR2? I'm very tempted to get a hardtop if the price is right.

Yes they will but you must make sure you get the fitting kit with it or it could cost you another £200/300 :eek:

Les

Cheers for the quick response Les. Ones that come up on eBay seldom have the fixing kit included. From the other threads I understand any toyota dealer, given the part number, can order the kit in for around £250-ish? How difficult is it to fit?

Cheers for the quick response Les. Ones that come up on ebay seldom have the fixing kit included. From the other threads I understand any toyota dealer, given the part number, can order the kit in for around £250-ish? How difficult is it to fit?

Here you go Bob CLICKY :thumbsup:

Les

Hello ther e, big congrats on buying a super car..my car is 2yrs old now.. it was atreat to myself..i did buy the hardtop with it and i also bought the storage trolley for the hard top when noot in use( the summer months)..here is a foto of my car and the smile hasnt come off my face since i bought it :lol:

:D

MR2Genesisgig002.jpg

MR2Genesisgig001.jpg

Hello ther e, big congrats on buying a super car..my car is 2yrs old now.. it was atreat to myself..i did buy the hardtop with it and i also bought the storage trolley for the hard top when noot in use( the summer months)..here is a foto of my car and the smile hasnt come off my face since i bought it :lol:

:D

MR2Genesisgig002.jpg

MR2Genesisgig001.jpg

I see you still have our silly "Roadster grin" on your face ;)

Les

hey les ..your fotos are brill......but i do remember that first picture getting me into trouble the last time u posted it, some while ago now :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links