Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.0gls Performance

davethemeterman

HELP!

I have had an Avensis 2.0GLS Estate 1999 model now for 6 months and to say I am disappointed is an understatement!

Don't get me wrong - it's fine at speed but below 40mph and it's a swine. e.g. you are in town doing 30mph in 3rd, you go to put your foot on the accelerator and it's like a stutter, so you change down a gear and then find it's over- reving. Is it me or do I really, after 40 years of motoring, keep getting in the wrong gear?

I have had friends and relatives try the car and all have said there is something wrong as they cannot get it to run smoothly at lower speeds. I have even had it suggested that perhaps the engine mountings are broken since they once had a mini that had the same problem. I have talked to my mechanic ( who sold me the car!) who says nothing is wrong and that it's my driving. ( and that of my friends?)

The car has been fully serviced, plugs and plug leads have been changed so what now?

Please, please, please, has anyone got any idea as to what it might be and yes I have checked with my local garage and they are not selling Kangaroo petrol!

Hi Dave.

My2.0GLS will pull from top gear at 30mph with no roughness but it does take a while to build up speed compared to notching down a couple of cogs.

30mph in 3rd + load pedal should be as smooth as silk undies and fairly progressive (30+2nd = hold on tight!)

Have your independant or MrT check all of the pipes, vacuum valves and gaskets on the intake/fueling side of things.

Hi Dave.

My2.0GLS will pull from top gear at 30mph with no roughness but it does take a while to build up speed compared to notching down a couple of cogs.

30mph in 3rd + load pedal should be as smooth as silk undies and fairly progressive (30+2nd = hold on tight!)

Have your independant or MrT check all of the pipes, vacuum valves and gaskets on the intake/fueling side of things.

Thanks for your advice - think best course of action will be for nearest Mr T to look at it ( not one in my town).

It's nice to know that mine is not as it should be.

Thank you

• 5 months later...
Thanks for your advice - think best course of action will be for nearest Mr T to look at it ( not one in my town).

It's nice to know that mine is not as it should be.

Thank you

Sorry to drag up an old thread but did you happen to get it sorted? (Selfish interest of course, I have a similar problem)

check throttle body..

clean it

Did that. No change.

The Haynes manual suggest a vacuum leak but I can't find one.

Ok,

Do me a favour,

warm the car up

stick it in 1st,

drive it through the rev range... and notice when the fault happens (ie what revs)

do the same in 2nd, post the results back here

:D

To everyone who has tried to help - thanks for all your suggestions but I have given up on this pile of ....... and now have a Rav 4, and Its a real pleasure to be able to drive a decent vehicle again!!!!

Thanks

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links