Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Rails Help

den9112

Hi, i have a 1996 3 door rav4 and i want to carry a couple of kayaks .I have noticed that there is, i think provisions for roof rails . Could someone please tell me how easy to fit they are and where i might get some from without having to go and pay silly money from the main dealer . Thanks

Hi, i have a 1996 3 door rav4 and i want to carry a couple of kayaks .I have noticed that there is, i think provisions for roof rails . Could someone please tell me how easy to fit they are and where i might get some from without having to go and pay silly money from the main dealer . Thanks

Silly money from dealers...Never!!!! :lol: :lol:

Your best bet is eBay as they appear quite often, loggon and search for RAV in all topics and browse away....(Would add link but for some reason forum seems to not like it)....

Den, I think a 96 would be a Mk1 Rav ? (correct me if I'm wrong) there are a few owners on here.

Bothwell Buyer is the first that springs to mind, so you may have to wait till some are online. In the

meantime why not send a PM to Partsking he is a member who works for Toyota and gets a discount

for TOC members. If he can give you the Toyota price, well at least you have a starting point and if

you see them elsewhere you will know if you are getting a bargain.

dave. ;)

Don't forget that you do not have to buy OEM roof rails. You can also get the likes of a Thule system, which you can then use on you next car, which will obviously be another RAV ;)

Hi Den

I have a 1998 Rav4 3Dr... if you have the same roof 'flutes' as me on your Rav4, then you should have 4x fixing points with sliding water covers! I searched high and low for Toyota 'roof bars' (not roof rails, which run front to back). Quality Thule and Paddy Hopkirk after-market bars were quoted as in access of £150...! I was also warned by these dealers that genuine Toyota bars would cost a kings ransom! However, a very helpful service guy at a local Toyota dealer (WKB Havant) kindly printed off for me a complete parts list of still available Rav4 (1994 - 1998) options... a three page list :) In amongst this list were the Toyota roof bars that actually fitted the fixings in the roof flutes! The after-market ones would only clamp to the door jams in a very unsatisfactory general purpose way! :(

Anyhow, the genuine Toyota badged locking (4xkeys) bars were still listed as being available...

Part No. TPZ403-X9610-GA at an amazingly low price of... £92.33 inc. Vat.

Needless to say I placed an order, and two days later collected them from same Toyota dealer. :) These are amazingly sturdy roof bars and look very good on the Rav4. You can fit or remove them in a couple of minutes. You may need to buy an extra adapter for your Kayak fixing... those should be available for any roof bars from your local kayak supplier.

Remember... these are not roof rails (which you would fit roof bars too), but roof bars that run from side to side of the vehicle... if this is what you require, go grab some quick before they are exhausted as an option!

DaveH

Hi Den

I have a 1998 Rav4 3Dr... if you have the same roof 'flutes' as me on your Rav4, then you should have 4x fixing points with sliding water covers! I searched high and low for Toyota 'roof bars' (not roof rails, which run front to back). Quality Thule and Paddy Hopkirk after-market bars were quoted as in access of £150...! I was also warned by these dealers that genuine Toyota bars would cost a kings ransom! However, a very helpful service guy at a local Toyota dealer (WKB Havant) kindly printed off for me a complete parts list of still available Rav4 (1994 - 1998) options... a three page list :) In amongst this list were the Toyota roof bars that actually fitted the fixings in the roof flutes! The after-market ones would only clamp to the door jams in a very unsatisfactory general purpose way! :(

Anyhow, the genuine Toyota badged locking (4xkeys) bars were still listed as being available...

Part No. TPZ403-X9610-GA at an amazingly low price of... £92.33 inc. Vat.

Needless to say I placed an order, and two days later collected them from same Toyota dealer. :) These are amazingly sturdy roof bars and look very good on the Rav4. You can fit or remove them in a couple of minutes. You may need to buy an extra adapter for your Kayak fixing... those should be available for any roof bars from your local kayak supplier.

Remember... these are not roof rails (which you would fit roof bars too), but roof bars that run from side to side of the vehicle... if this is what you require, go grab some quick before they are exhausted as an option!

DaveH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links