Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Buy A Prius?

leblanc

That article is old and this 'new' Prius won't be the next gen Prius as they're sticking with the old batteries but 'improved'. So no 113mpg for a while yet :(

hmm yes, lithium ion no time soon due to safety concerns. (bah)

Anyway, I was in at Toyota today servicing the Avensis, and the zero percent interest deal isn't applicable to the Prius :(

however I took an indepth look as I was waiting around anyway.

One strange thing that struck me is the wheels. They 'appear' to be alloy wheels (i.e. not pressed steel) yet they are covered with a plastic wheel hub? The seat fabric didn't appeal to my own taste buds and I wonder how long the felt material lasts on the interior door handles / arm rests? If I were to get one, I'd take the leather option.

I didn't realise there was an auto park feature on the T Spirit, does it actually autopark into a space (with the user controlling the brakes?) Amazing if it does! - I didn't notice any front parking sensors in the bumpers.

There are 9 Speakers, the 9th speaker resides...?

One downside is servicing costs I guess, the Prius because of it's special hybrid/electric components can only be serviced properly by Toyota, so all servicing will have to be via main dealer rates.

Wasn't too keen on the footbrake :( I have one on my Mercedes but don't tend to use it.

Does the car roll backwards on a hill because it's CVT and not a real automatic with torque convertor, I know I will flumpth some hill starts with that footbrake!

I couldn't see there would be problem reverse parking, some folks highlight limited rear vision?

some many questions :)

• 3 weeks later...
hmm yes, lithium ion no time soon due to safety concerns. (bah)

Anyway, I was in at Toyota today servicing the Avensis, and the zero percent interest deal isn't applicable to the Prius :(

however I took an indepth look as I was waiting around anyway.

One strange thing that struck me is the wheels. They 'appear' to be alloy wheels (i.e. not pressed steel) yet they are covered with a plastic wheel hub? The seat fabric didn't appeal to my own taste buds and I wonder how long the felt material lasts on the interior door handles / arm rests? If I were to get one, I'd take the leather option.

I didn't realise there was an auto park feature on the T Spirit, does it actually autopark into a space (with the user controlling the brakes?) Amazing if it does! - I didn't notice any front parking sensors in the bumpers.

There are 9 speakers, the 9th speaker resides...?

One downside is servicing costs I guess, the Prius because of it's special hybrid/electric components can only be serviced properly by Toyota, so all servicing will have to be via main dealer rates.

Wasn't too keen on the footbrake :( I have one on my Mercedes but don't tend to use it.

Does the car roll backwards on a hill because it's CVT and not a real automatic with torque convertor, I know I will flumpth some hill starts with that footbrake!

I couldn't see there would be problem reverse parking, some folks highlight limited rear vision?

some many questions :)

Had my T-spirit for only a few days but did a lot of research before buying and have had a chance to try a few of the toys (and spent an entire weekend reading the manuals).

Yes the wheels are alloy and covered with plaggy trims, why I don't know but if like me you've kerbed an alloy you might not mind that too much - cheaper to change a trim than a wheel (or rather live with a gashed alloy which forever reminds you of your own stupidity) :angry:

It really does autopark in certain situations (reversing in) but you need to Read The Manual and practice! It's quicker to park manually but the autopark impresses your friends and relations and all their friends and relations IF you can pull it off first time. :D

I wondered about the footbrake but having come from a manual have had no probs adapting. Have had no probs with hill starts - never needed to brake when starting off as the Prius doesn't roll back - but no really steep hills yet!

One of the best features of the Spirit is the rear camera - potentially a life saver if there are toddlers about and more than makes up for any limited rear visibility, although you still need a look around to check nothing coming in from either side. The guide lines remain on screen and are useful. I know it is going to save me scratching the rear bumper on bollards and walls and to me its much more use than parking sensors.

Oh, and the 9th speaker I think would be the one in the dash immediately behind the screen.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in being "greener" in my motoring, but I read this and it raises concerns in my mind.

Doesn't his mean that the Prius is one of the least energy efficient cars you can buy, when the total cost of manufacture and disposal is taken into account?

Can anyone comment?

Quick answer is NO.

I am informed that the whole car can be recycled at the end of its life. It has one of the lowest fuel emissions there is. I am getting an urban MPG of 50MPG. When the weather is warmer it will improve still further. Toyota cars including the Prius are some the most safest cars on our roads.

In my opinion you could not get a much greener car than the Prius. Have a look at this report:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=104

That's confusing - there seems to be so much conflicting information. One of my friends directed me to a Times article on the Prius, and a BMW 520D was more fuel efficient. I can see the tax advantages of the Prius (especially if you have to pay the Congestion charge), but there seems to be other, more fuel-efficient ways of getting around.

but there seems to be other, more fuel-efficient ways of getting around.

I agree, my pushbike does an incredible MPG, and the tax is NIL :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have just purchased a T Spirit, having driven a loan one for 2 weeks, in all road conditions, and was very impressed as my average consumption has been 55mpg (calculated from fuel purchased rather than the cars computer, which showed 56!)

I have looked the Times test and it showed that the MANUAL 520D was more economic over 545 miles by 2 litres!

When you factor in the cost of Diesel compared to petrol, and take into account the Prius is auto, that makes no real saving at all.

Also, you must take into account the appx £8,000 cost difference in the cars, as that is a lot of fuel!!

I looked at all of the alternatives, as I travel 30,000 + mile a year, and the Prius is the only car that makes sense as a family saloon, as far as cost savings go.

my sister has a mini-one which is very good on fuel :)

averaged 38mpg to Cardiff and back (with us going rather hard and fast.....not with my sister by the way!!!! :lol:) and that was a fun drive too :) plus they're a relatively cheap car and not weighed down by a ton of batteries which are devasting to the environment during production and disposal.

The batteries are a major concern to me. All those heavy metals and energy to manufacture/dispose of.

I can see why they are a hit in the US - Americans do, on the whole, drive big, heavy cars that consume a lot of fuel, so a Prius will be a huge improvement. In Europe, however, buy a normal diesel, and you'll be pushed to get under 50mpg. Some will do over 60 without trying. It's a case of weighing up what is least damaging to the environment - all those batteries and petrol emissions, or the diesel emissions.

Although I am not keen on the Mini (not very practical with 3 of us and a pushchair!), the stop/start technology is now on the BMW 1 series, and I am sure everyone will adopt it in the future. Decisions, decisions...

Doing further research, I read an article in the Guardian on the subject of cars and pollution, and it is saying that since the Prius is manufactured in Japan, then shipped half way round the world, the carbon 'debt' is so big that we would be better off buying something manufactured in Europe.

The Prius is looking less 'green' by the day :(

• 2 years later...

I work for B.M.W and was very tempted to buy the 120d or 118d, they both do 60+ m.p.g on the motorway. BUT the road tax being £35 only came in 2007(this makes for a expensive used car when compared to a Prius) and you get very little extras in a B.M.W. I got a Prius Tspirit with voice activation and satnav, bluetooth, ect ect for far less than a B.M.W. And that is with out worrying about the service bills and E/C/U problems/upgrades/clutch and gearbox oil leaks they seem to have.

Pound for pound you cant beet the Prius. I used a simple rule, if you do lots of motorway miles then buy a B.M.W 120D, if you dont then its the Prius.

Fee fi fo fum, I smell a troll. :P

Its the sweaty armpits and feet that give them away.... oh yes and the hugely negative comments ;) :D

Its the sweaty armpits and feet that give them away.... oh yes and the hugely negative comments ;) :D

And remember, whatever else you do, don't feed them. I will say no more on the subject.

today had a call from my garage, new T SPirit will be delivered on 10 June.....(ORIGINAL date was end of July) so good news even better news it appears Toyota are giving 5 years free warranty AND three years free service for all JUNE registrations......so yes go buy your Prius....

today had a call from my garage, new T SPirit will be delivered on 10 June.....(ORIGINAL date was end of July) so good news even better news it appears Toyota are giving 5 years free warranty AND three years free service for all JUNE registrations......so yes go buy your Prius....

Thats good news.... you know you will enjoy it when it arrives :thumbsup:

Fee fi fo fum, I smell a troll. tongue.gif

Its the sweaty armpits and feet that give them away.... oh yes and the hugely negative comments wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Now when have you ever been negative... yahoo.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links