Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashboard Illumination

sjrainsford

Hi there!

Has anyone had to change the illumination lamps behind the dashboard yet? By that I mean the ones that illuminate the speedo etc. My economy light lamp isn't workin. I would also maybe like to replace a few others possibly with a different colour. Also what type of bulb are they?

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

OOh nice one!

Was thinkin of changing just the digital bit's to blue to kinda tie in with my stereo display!

May be rippin mine apart tomorrow, so will let you know if I feel like it!

:thumbsup:

OOh nice one!

Was thinkin of changing just the digital bit's to blue to kinda tie in with my stereo display!

May be rippin mine apart tomorrow, so will let you know if I feel like it!

Cheers i think :unsure::lol:

I've just fitted the Alpine 9815 headunit which is blue so gonna put blue cold cathode tubes behind the dash to match :D

So you weren't gonna change the actual bulbs then? I was gonna have a look today, but with the weather I couldn't be ubikd! :thumbsup:

It's easy to remove your Instrument cluster.

1. Remove 2 screws in upper portion of surround ( Philips No2 )

2. Lower steering wheel to lowest position & cover cowls with towel ( prevents scratching to cluster lens).

3. Unclip surround at lower portion ( by pulling lightly at corners).

4. Compress surround ( squeeze upper/lower together ) to remove past steering wheel.

5. Remove 3 screws ( 2 bottom, 1 top ) from cluster. ( 8mm/Philips No2 ).

6. Pull cluster forward & tilt to gain access to connectors

7. Disconnect 2/3 connectors ( Check for release clip, press then pull connector.

8. Manipulate cluster out of dash.

9. Express smile of self satisfaction.

bulbs are normally 1/4 turn type & can be purchased from most motor factors.

Had mine out a few times to try & detect some rattles!

Detecting rattles? Would never have thought that in an Avensis! :lol:

Thanks for that Starensis. I hope I end up getting to the bit where I express a smile of self satisfaction! :D

I have no rattles in my Avensis anymore!

I have had most of my dash out & taped up loose connectors/harnesses. Also fitted anti-squeak tape to all areas where clips are used.

The one most annoying ( & difficult to find ), was metal clip that hols coin tray in closed position. Bent clip to give it tighter fit to tray & cured the problem.

My Avensis is now quiet, reliable, economical & has new rear wiper motor. All I need now to give me full satisfaction is an 2003 ( or latest ) Cd-ROM for my Nav system.

Changing mine from green to blue in a couple of weeks, will post in workshop submissions :thumbsup:

You tackled this yet? I'm curious about the cold cathode installation.

Yannick

You tackled this yet? I'm curious about the cold cathode installation.

Yeah and me. Where exactly were you gonna fit the tubes? In front of the dash to illuminate the clocks, or behind the clocks?

Well, I replaced tue bulbs for blue ones, and it look great!

later this week Ill have pictures of finished work. If you are impatient, look in the Crown Concept topic that i posted a picture of how it looks.

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Sorry Coyote!, I didn't see your last message in that thread.

I'll be attempting to undo the dash over christmas, but to do it all properly I'll need to do the dash, the central console and the steering wheel. Well, I won't know until I've tried :D

I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but I'll try to borrow one to record the procedure and publish it in the workshop submissions.

I'm still interested in the cold cathode stuff. I have no idea of what it is or how it works, so I'd appreciate any enlightenment ;)

Yannick

There was a post that was related to cold cathode staff, but I couldnt find it. may be its gone with the crash. Anyway, we can ask who has done it here and he certainly will address you.

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links