Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Icon On

tczwoju

Hi guys,

I have engine icon on from yesterday and I’m confused a little bit. I had this before 2 months ago and this icon has gone next day. I’m in due to the 100000 miles service, could it be this? I did notice that this icon may inform that the low level petrol (it says in manual).I did run on low level yesterday so. If yes, how long this icon will be remains on if I filled up the tank yesterday and it is still on..

Any help please.

Wojciech

Good morning guys,

Just to update.

I did read in some posts that I can remove positive lead from Battery so I did it for few minutes. I found funny things such as: electric windows would not work properly after it (only when I press button and keep) and the revolution on clock was low about 500 instead of about 1000.Half an hour later everything get back to normal. The main problem Engine Icon has gone, so it is positive news but for how long?

Wojciech

Good morning guys,

Just to update.

I did read in some posts that I can remove positive lead from battery so I did it for few minutes. I found funny things such as: electric windows would not work properly after it (only when I press button and keep) and the revolution on clock was low about 500 instead of about 1000.Half an hour later everything get back to normal. The main problem Engine Icon has gone, so it is positive news but for how long?

Wojciech

hi

there's nothing to say. i feel each failure has own reazon. as to mine problem in last year -- the icon was ON due to cat.convertor die. so after have changed it on new one, the the engine icon has desapeared.

cheers/igor

HI Igor,

Thanks for info.I fell better now.It means that I should not be worry as long as car driving well.The icon is still off after removing positive lead from Battery.

CHeers

WOjciech

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys again,

After over one moth off the engine icon appear again today and I'm confused.I will remove positive lead from Battery again but I'm concern.I just wanna avoid any cost before Christmas.I have a service done.What to do?.If there would be a fault somewhere ,the icon should come back immediately.

CHeers

Wojciech

To tczwoju,

Your engine has some 30 odd sensors of varying descriptions that work with different modules within the car to help your car run as it should. If your engine warning light keeps coming on, then it is safe to assume you have a problem of some sort. If your light keeps coming on its coming on for a reason. I would not keep turning light off & carry on driving it. You say its booked in for service (via Toyota dealer ? ) as part of service they will plug it into laptop or mobile computer it will create a diagnostic log recording all error codes ask if you can have a copy of log before error codes are cleared & road test carried out. After road test they should run another log check & any codes that reappear they then will have to run checks to see why errors have not cleared. Your fault could be as simple as a bad or loose connection. But I would not keep turning light off, you may well have more than one fault.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

Yestraday I have noticed the Engine managment icon is on again,after few goog months.This time I have bought the code reader

OBD2 ELM 327 USB Scanner Tool CAN Bus OBD OBD-II V1.2a so I will read the fault code.

It has happend when I have filled up my tank.Last time when I have notice the Enigne icon I had empty tank(reserve).Could it be something to do with petrol on Tesco station?

Anyway soon I will read the code I will go to local Toyota to see whether they can see the same fault and how much it will cost.

Just to say that there is no change in car performance.

I will keep you update ,whether it is worth to have a code reader and how I'm getting on.

Regards

Wojciech

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people,

I have connected the fault code reader to my Avensis and I have got this fault P0136 "O2 sensor circuit".As I underdstand it means that Bank 1 Sensor 2 is faulty?My Avensis is 2003 VVTi,T4,semi-auto.

Now how to find these sensors,how many I have got in my car.What kind of sensor it is:post-cat or pre-cat?or something else?Please somebody can explain this.I did search on google but nor results.

What is the best place to buy?

Many thanks

Wojciech

P0136 = Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)2, bank 1 is located after cat. You should find a recent posting by Forum User of an American company that supplies sensors at reasonable price. Original & copies.

Yh. I was gonna say that the only way to find out why the light is on is to plug it to diagnostic computer. But you done that so it ok.

See posting from cfc1 in answer to hitvic? In answer how to obtain original or copy oxygen sensors, the answer is on this page about 3/4 of the way down.

Known fault not o2 sensors need new cat ecu and ?? re map of the software.

New sensors will not fox this the sensor is doing its job the feedback loop is being too critical and MR T are aware of this design fault reading codes is pointless you need to read the ecu in live mode and record the values,the ecu diagnostic software MR T has in my experience only somw garages have staff able to understand this fault.

Ring customer relations and explain its a well known fault and ask if 100k is a problem and toyota engines.

Have double checked via disc. Forum user silverarrow is correct fault can be ECM,wiring or sensor. Just a note for silverarrow i had thought later ECM's could be re-programmed after CAT/Oxygen sensor renewal. So the fix is a software (re-programmed) download for later ECM's rather than renewal of earlier type ECM ex:2003 model?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I just had an answer from one of the person from www.autobits.co.uk regarding my oxygene sensor.

Please have a look below and help me to find which one is faulty and how to find the wright one.Could it be only done by multi meter?

" be honest the fault code has told you exactly where the fault lies ie. Bank 1, sensor 2 = 1st cylinder bank, post cat sensor and the heater circuit on the sensor has failed. The problem is the terminology does not help you and I locate which side of the car the sensor is located. What I can say is that if you can check the wire lengths, the nearside is over three feet long, whereas the offside is a foot shorter in length."

"Fault code is P0136 = Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)2, bank 1 is located after cat"

"I can supply both post cat sensors for your car but they are described as nearside and offside. Bank 1 serves cylinder 1,2,.... - do you know whether you require the nearside or offside sensor ?"

Do you know which one is faulty.Is it a nearside or offside?

Regards

Wojciech

it will be the cat and new ecu and software re prog ring toyota and ask for the TSB do a google search well known fault and mr t want £200 for a sensor that lasts for years.

the sensor is reading the the error not the error.

all vvti engines have this problem the feedback loop is too accurate and the new software programs in a positive time delay you will also get 1.5 mpg less.

HI Silverarrow,

What you mean "it will be a new cat and ecu and software"?Do you mean that the Cat and Ecu is faulty nad sensor as well?Or just the sensor oxygen must be change Ecu needs to be relodade with new software.

Could you clarify please?

I will go to Toyota soon to check this fault.

Rgds

Wojciech

it will be the cat and new ecu and software re prog ring toyota and ask for the TSB do a google search well known fault and mr t want £200 for a sensor that lasts for years.

all vvti engines have this problem the feedback loop is too accurate and the new software programs in a positive time delay you will also get 1.5 mpg less.

• 2 weeks later...
HI Silverarrow,

What you mean "it will be a new cat and ecu and software"?Do you mean that the Cat and Ecu is faulty nad sensor as well?Or just the sensor oxygen must be change Ecu needs to be relodade with new software.

Could you clarify please?

I will go to Toyota soon to check this fault.

Rgds

Wojciech

Toyota have a last with the new engines for the new avensis designed the feedback loop correctly and also the pistons will have more drain channels this works however MR T has a big problem customers have paid for KNOWN faulty engines and so many warranty companies have paid out,so are asking MR T to pay this back this will be fun.

Also the old engines are in plenty of stock and thus ready to be fitted.

MR T HAS A BIG PROBLEM IN THAT THE UN OFFICIAL WARRANTY IS 7 YRS AND UP TO 150 K ON THE CLOCK IF FULL TOYOTA SERVICE HISTORY.

Mr t has the bad press read auto express just do a google on vvti engine oil consumption.

Can a TOYOTA ENGINE ONLY LAST 150K ???

They claim engines are well built what utter rubbish just look at all the vvti 1.4,1.6,1.8,2.0 duff engines.

Also the number of 2.0 and 2.2 diesel turbo engines that are falling.

Speak to customer relations and quote this web site also speak to trading standards as well if you are using oil then push for a new short engine.

good luck toyota are having bad press and bad resale values look at the cap prices when over 120k very very bad.

You will need a new cat ecu and re prog and the sensor may be ok but if using oil the sensor is coated in oil thus faulty readings.

Please speak to customer relations and if problems let me know i have contacts with the press and they are pushing for toyota to come clean and pay for these urgent repairs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links