Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flywheel Blown

Davee

Hi, this is my first post and hope you will bear with me, driving home from work monday, on the motorway in fifth doing about 65, put my foot down to pass a lorry when Bang, there was an instant loss of power and the rav revs went way up, managed to get off a slip road, but had no drive when I tried to pull away.

Called AA and was taken to the nearest toyota agent, Arnold Clark, Linwood in the west of scotland, they took the car in and said they would giveme a phone next day.

When they phoned they said the flywheel was knackered and that they would contact toyota to see if they could do anything, the car is a 04 3 years and 10 months old, toyota said as a good will gesture they would supply the parts free and all I would have to pay is the labour £569.87, looking at other posts on the same subject i see a 5 year gaurantee quoted is this true and how can I aquire evidence to back this up, sorry for the long windedness but I am totally ****** off

davee

Dave, first of all welcome to TOC, sorry its not under better circumstances. As you rightly point out

from other threads, Toyota has extended warranty on DMF's. A member called Anchorman has been

championing our cause on this. I'm not sure if he has something in writing, but PM him or he may be

on later and will advise.

Hang in there mate ;)

Hi, this is my first post and hope you will bear with me, driving home from work monday, on the motorway in fifth doing about 65, put my foot down to pass a lorry when Bang, there was an instant loss of power and the rav revs went way up, managed to get off a slip road, but had no drive when I tried to pull away.

Called AA and was taken to the nearest toyota agent, Arnold Clark, Linwood in the west of scotland, they took the car in and said they would giveme a phone next day.

When they phoned they said the flywheel was knackered and that they would contact toyota to see if they could do anything, the car is a 04 3 years and 10 months old, toyota said as a good will gesture they would supply the parts free and all I would have to pay is the labour £569.87, looking at other posts on the same subject i see a 5 year gaurantee quoted is this true and how can I aquire evidence to back this up, sorry for the long windedness but I am totally ****** off

davee

Jeeez

wot rotten luck....imagine ending up at arnold Clarks place! My experience of him and his helpers are utter s****. If it was me, I'd get a real Toyota dealer to take the car and replace the clutch free, giving you the opportchansity to look at the old parts coming off and the new parts going on.

I know Alan bremner well at linwood but he's not a Toyota dealer.

If you need the car transported to a real Toyota dealership, let me know as I have a 4 wheel 2.5 ton car transporter trailer and will shift for nothing. If you do use A Clark Esq, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. They disclaim anything they say. They also charge you for more than they fit....thats if they even fit 2nd hand parts. And that was a AC mechanic that told me that.

M. Bittered from experience

davee

Jeeez

wot rotten luck....imagine ending up at arnold Clarks place! My experience of him and his helpers are utter s****. If it was me, I'd get a real Toyota dealer to take the car and replace the clutch free, giving you the opportchansity to look at the old parts coming off and the new parts going on.

I know Alan bremner well at linwood but he's not a Toyota dealer.

If you need the car transported to a real Toyota dealership, let me know as I have a 4 wheel 2.5 ton car transporter trailer and will shift for nothing. If you do use A Clark Esq, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. They disclaim anything they say. They also charge you for more than they fit....thats if they even fit 2nd hand parts. And that was a AC mechanic that told me that.

M. Bittered from experience

I meant to add that if you are in the Motherwell area, I have a guy doing my RAV who knows more about Toyotas than Toyota do,.

davee

Another 1st post with the same question, I've just bought an 05 rav4 D4D which has had the flywheel and clutch replaced by Toyota in the last 2 weeks, it was a company car owned by the firm I work for 94000 miles full Toyota history, Toyota said there is no warranty on the flywheel as the car had covered more than 60k so was out of warranty, as a goodwill gesture they would cover the cost of the clutch as that wasn't worn out.

If there is a 100k warranty from Toyota GB my company have just been ripped off for £1500+vat

Does anyone have anything in writing they could scan and post up because I'd be eligible for free biscuits for life if they get £1500 refunded :)

Toyota PR have promised a statement by tomorrow.

Just sit tight and hopefully I can bring you some worthwhile information.

Flipin heck an 05 with 94K on clock :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And if I'm right it was said as "5 years and or 100k" for the flywheel....

Mine (when the tell me what's wrong...Hopefully not flywheel..Is at 5 years and just over 1 month old and 81k.....

If you do get biscuits out of it...get Hob Nobs as they are ace...or Jaffa cakes....they last about 60 seconds in my office..... :o :o :o :o

Chatman

I see from your signature that you are not best friends with you RAV at the moment! I can tell you that due to the many incidents of flywheel failure at or around their cut off date of 5 years or 100k that I requested Toyota to push the warranty out on a diminising basis so that you might get a percentage of the repair costs. They have confirmed that that 5 years or 100k is the cut off date and is not negotiable. If it is DMF then it seems you are stuck with it but I,m sure Kingo will do his level best to help you.

Davee,

Hard luck mate, hope that thanks to Anchor and others on here you get it sorted FOC. Yotas are reliable arent they, well they are as long as you arent talking about diesel flywheels. Maybee Toyota PR will come on and help you out. If not see if you can PM them. Good Luck. R.

Well done young sir! Hopefully make a few people happier which is what life is all aboot (sorry for slipping intae Scots)

Well done young sir! Hopefully make a few people happier which is what life is all aboot (sorry for slipping intae Scots)

However, I would still now only use a garage where the people know what they are doing and not charging for the mistakes their staff make. Paying £75 an hour is something I do for the guy who fixes my combi-oven one or twice a year & he comes to the oven! (I should add that to my list of vehicles cos it cost me 12 grand!)

Chances of me ever buying new again are next to nil - I've still got the Humber to do up and use and its not prone to DMF, ECU failure, or anything else that doesn't begin with rust....

Anyway, the RAV will keep me going until the Alzeimhers catches up.

davee

Welcome to the TOC Davee,

A good description of a terrible problem at a frightening moment :eek: A motorway is the worse place in the world to breakdown and I'm glad you managed to get your car to a place of safety :thumbsup:

I hope you can all work done under the quoted 5 year / 100k warranty.

Another 1st post with the same question, I've just bought an 05 rav4 D4D which has had the flywheel and clutch replaced by Toyota in the last 2 weeks, it was a company car owned by the firm I work for 94000 miles full Toyota history, Toyota said there is no warranty on the flywheel as the car had covered more than 60k so was out of warranty, as a goodwill gesture they would cover the cost of the clutch as that wasn't worn out.

If there is a 100k warranty from Toyota GB my company have just been ripped off for £1500+vat

Does anyone have anything in writing they could scan and post up because I'd be eligible for free biscuits for life if they get £1500 refunded :)

Again, Welcome to the TOC Wack,

And I hope you are successful in recovering your companies £1500+vat, the free biscuits for life will make it worth a little investigation :thumbsup:

Chatman

I see from your signature that you are not best friends with you RAV at the moment! I can tell you that due to the many incidents of flywheel failure at or around their cut off date of 5 years or 100k that I requested Toyota to push the warranty out on a diminising basis so that you might get a percentage of the repair costs. They have confirmed that that 5 years or 100k is the cut off date and is not negotiable. If it is DMF then it seems you are stuck with it but I,m sure Kingo will do his level best to help you.

Thanks Anchorman....when the RAV works again...I might change my sig...

I've not taken my RAV to a Toyota garagae as the labour rates are shocking :eek: :censor: :censor: £75 hour +vat.....NO WAY.......

So waiting for local garage (that coincidently have fixed RAV on other occasions......) looking at it...If the DMF and Clutch are knackered I will be asking for any help :help: :help: in tackling Mr T.

Not knowing what's wrong with the RAV and what it will cost yet...is driving me nuts... :wacko: :wacko:

It's the not knowing that is the worst part. :crybaby:

Hope it all goes well for you Chatman and that your local garage soon have your RAV back in A1 condition :thumbsup:

For the record, prices for the DMF and Clutch kit (Cover, Plate and bearing)

£976.94 Retail

£855.49 From Kingo

Carriage will have to be charged additionally, these kits are HEAVY, In the region of £25 ish

Kingo :thumbsup:

For the record, prices for the DMF and Clutch kit (Cover, Plate and bearing)

£976.94 Retail

£855.49 From Kingo

Carriage will have to be charged additionally, these kits are HEAVY, In the region of £25 ish

Thats cheap, but my Tstealer did it even cheaper for me :D

Thats cheap, but my Tstealer did it even cheaper for me :D

Well by that logic he obviously isnt your stealer is he

Flipin heck an 05 with 94K on clock :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And if I'm right it was said as "5 years and or 100k" for the flywheel....

I rang Toyota Customer care today and was told the same, 100k or 5 years, I didn't tell them the car had already been repaired, i've given my company the information and they said they'll be having words with them, especially as they have a new one on order

Yes the car has done 94K in 2 1/2 years but I know it's had the flywheel fixed, has had one driver from new who has only ever driven it on the motorway so no cold start/stops 5 times a day, has a full toyota service history, looks almost new and i'm not kidding, if I told you it'd covered 20k you wouldn't disbelieve me.

and it was an absolute bargain 05 plate XT5 in black

I wonder if "we" 4.3 2.2D4d owners will be needing an extended warranty on our flywheels. I hope not. Anyone done a big mileage yet?. Richie.

Hi all just a starter on here i paid for a new clutch and flywheel for 2003 rav4 d4d in may07 only 50k on the clock paid £1200 to premier toyota in llandudno jct have i any chance on getting any money back with the warranty being extended or did i read these posts wrong ....cheer's .....all... :unsure:

I wonder if "we" 4.3 2.2D4d owners will be needing an extended warranty on our flywheels. I hope not. Anyone done a big mileage yet?. Richie.

That is a very good question!

And I'm sure it is one that many of us have thought about and one that everybody will be keeping a very close eye on!

Hi all just a starter on here i paid for a new clutch and flywheel for 2003 rav4 d4d in may07 only 50k on the clock paid £1200 to premier toyota in llandudno jct have i any chance on getting any money back with the warranty being extended or did i read these posts wrong ....cheer's .....all... :unsure:

I'd certainly go back to them and confront them with the evidence you had seen on here about the extended 5 year / 100k warranty on DMF's.

Very good luck to you and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

I now have the official Toyota statement on this but it isn't clear so I will go back to them again because I don't think it is fair to raise anyones hopes on the strength of it.

Bear with me and I will try to get it sorted out.

I now have the official Toyota statement on this but it isn't clear so I will go back to them again because I don't think it is fair to raise anyones hopes on the strength of it.

Bear with me and I will try to get it sorted out.

Nothing new there then Anchorman, there is nothing like a clear statement to muddy the waters! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links