Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locking Diffs

landyBerks

Hi,

Im looking at joining my dad in some off roading, but i have always wanted a hilux and i would like to hear about their off road ability compared to a landy.

Do they have lockable diffs? Low ratio gear box?

Im assuming yes to both, what models/engines should i be looking for etc etc.

I hope there are some off roaders here who can give me some info. Budget wise im looking about about 3k including any mods required such as tyres n guards n snorkle etc.

My dads landy is very well sourced for parts both aftermarket and modified parts. Whats the situation with the hilux?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Chirs

have a look in here , www.hiluxsurf.co.uk

all have low ratio box - locking diffs may prove hard to find - maybe the ssr-g had lockers ????

for a list of spares look at roughtrax or milners

opt for the 3.0 td - the 2.4 have head issues .

None of the Surfs had locking diffs as standard, but can be fitted using an air locker kit but they're not cheap, approx 450 quid per axle!!

The 3rd generation Surfs (1996 on...)have an all wheel drive option fitted, selectable at the flick of a switch, which enables the use of 4WD on the road. It uses a central, lockable diff system, available at the flick of a switch also.

3rd gen Surfs have been selling for 3 grand or just over recently.

Chris are you after a Hilux (pickup) or Hilux Surf? (estate style back)

AFAIK the 3rg Gens had an option of an E locker diff from the factory? (Or was that only a 4Runner option)

Where are all these £3k 3rd Gens? Mine cost me a lot more then that!

Where are all these £3k 3rd Gens? Mine cost me a lot more then that!

I didn't say they were tidy 3rd gens! ;)

Was really wanting some information on them. I have always wanted a hilux as i said, and as im pretty into off roading, it would be nice to combine the too. But if they are useless off road without having to pay for locking diffs i may have to forget the idea and stick to a landy.

How rare are the hilux's with diff locks?

Was really wanting some information on them. I have always wanted a hilux as i said, and as im pretty into off roading, it would be nice to combine the too. But if they are useless off road without having to pay for locking diffs i may have to forget the idea and stick to a landy.

How rare are the hilux's with diff locks?

About as rare as a reliable LandRover.

Have a look at the HiluxSurf site to see how they are offroad, you will be surprised at what they are capable of.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links