Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chip

moulty3

i am interested in getting a chip done i have spoke to a guy at manchester superchip who tells me superchip do no do a chip for a st205 gt4 so he would use a piggy back ecu which he said he said i would be looking at gains up to 40+bhp, im after opinions has any1 come across problems after have it done or is it worth th near £600 its going to cost me

for £600 you could get a standalone ECU like a LINK G3, Adaptronic, Autronics, Emerald3D

Remember "chips" remapping etc is only as good as the mapper, if a monkey maps it you could melt a piston (more likely crack a ringland). If a good mapper maps it then you could see plenty more than +40bhp and be totally safe and reliable.

I've got a LINKG3 on my mx5 and run 260bhp, I want to get an st185 to practice mapping on as my mx5 has too much value in it to really play about much, I still make the odd adjustment mind. With the stock CT26 turbo I'd hope to get 270bhp without issue on the st185. With a CT20 from a st205 & bigger injectors 310bhp.

Your St205, the stock ecu is good for 310bhp its a much better bit of kit than the st185, all you need is a boost controller setup to 1.2bar, fueling goes fractionally rich, but thats safe and you'd only gain 10bhp or so by getting it spot on, so no need really.

p.s. I'd never put a piggyback anywhere near a toyota ECU with active knock control as the stock ecu just fights the piggyback for control, you need to completely replace the stock ECU. (I learnt the hard way, my mr2 in my profile cracked a ringland after a unichip was fitted, combination of ECU fighting the piggyback and the mapper not realising...)

i think your problem with the unichip was a mixture of the unichip and the mapper. i had a piggy back fitted to my 185 and the only issue i had was i got boost greedy and blew the head gasket. :unsure: i know the unichip is an unstable unit and has destroyed two GT4 engines of two different friends.

i think most mappers don't realise the toyota ECU runs a mostly closed loop system and is only mappable on open loop, now, you can force the ECU into complete open loop but with the fact that the flat type AFM that the 185's uses, it's safer leaving the closed loop areas, unless your mod's dictate that you need too. they try to map the closed areas and this results in conflict and something going pop.

i've been speaking to a guy who says he can actually chip older cars, GT4's being one, he replaces the CPU of the ECU with a re-programmable one, i've still to actually get down to the nitty gritty on the subject due to my 3year old getting bored but i will...eventually lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links